Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Toronto, Canada vs Sydney

Toronto, Canada vs Sydney

Old May 14th 2016, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto, Canada vs Sydney

Fashion in Canada for much of the year is plaid, goose down and thermal. Not sure Sydney or Toronto would be up there with Milan or Paris. But yes both have designer gear if you feel the need.
Old May 14th 2016, 11:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarx_czech
I am busy investigating the immigration route. I have an EU passport but the whole point of my question was to get some views from other people who may have lived in both cities.
I have a Canadian passport. That does not mean that I can live in the EU. As Teza says, and I asked previously, do you qualify for a visa to live in either country? If not then there's no sense in anyone telling you that Sydney's better or Toronto is better.

Personally I would not live in either.
Old May 15th 2016, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am busy investigating the immigration route. I have an EU passport but the whole point of my question was to get some views from other people who may have lived in both cities.
That you think an "EU passport" is of any relevance makes me think that you have no idea whatsoever as to whether you qualify for a visa.

We can probably make a reasonable assessment of your chances in five minutes flat if you would provide some information like age, occupation, qualifications, work experience. It can save everybody, including you, time and effort if that can be established up front.
Old May 16th 2016, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough I'd say to enquire into whether it is worth going through the motions of applying to migrate, by asking questions into liveability before hand.

My take would be that both cities are suffering severe housing inflation, that very likely will impact on living standard, unless very well minted. Sadly it doesn't rest with Toronto and Sydney either, but other cities within both countries as well.

Both cities in question have large migrant populations. Both are new world cities with all that implies.Both follow similar policies, although Canada has a far more appealing PM (imo) at the present time.

Besides a warmer climate not sure besides the experience of another city, always good, just what the gain in moving to Sydney would be. Only you can answer that.
Old May 16th 2016, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
My take would be that both cities are suffering severe housing inflation, that very likely will impact on living standard, unless very well minted. Sadly it doesn't rest with Toronto and Sydney either, but other cities within both countries as well.
Stay tuned. Its all about to collapse.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/property/roger-montgomery-sees-apartment-oversupply-sendig-property-prices-south-20160516-gow0k6.html
Old May 16th 2016, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I obtained my Canadian PR 2 years ago and have spent 4 years living in Toronto. However since I spent many years in South Africa, I have always wondered about what it is like living in Australia - specifically Sydney.

If anyone has lived in both Australia and Canada, can you provide some opinions of what you preffer in Australia over Canada?

I am aware that cost of living and salaries are higher in Sydney, although taxes are quite high in Ontario.

Thanks,
Your question is not structured in a way that will garner many relevant responses for you. The reason is, with some notable exceptions (Beoz, Swervo, BS, and others) is that the vast majority of expats don't go to Sydney, which has some challenges of its own compared to other places in Oz.

The next part of your questions is asking about Oz vs Canada, so someone living in Brisbane, mortgage free or under control, with a couple of kids and partner with a great job will give you a very different viewpoint from a couple in Sydney running themselves ragged in gridlock traffic trying to make the cut off before the kindy fines kick in.

Conversely, getting the opinion of someone that's on the Sunshine Coast (for example) in a big house but struggling to find work, will be different to a couple of DINKs living the life in Sydney.

Both countries are so huge and diverse, IMO it's more relevant to stick to city vs city comparisons.

Also, absolutely agree about the visa question, everyone before that is wasted energy and sadly for lots, wasted hopes.
Old May 16th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Your question is not structured in a way that will garner many relevant responses for you. The reason is, with some notable exceptions (Beoz, Swervo, BS, and others) is that the vast majority of expats don't go to Sydney, which has some challenges of its own compared to other places in Oz.

The next part of your questions is asking about Oz vs Canada, so someone living in Brisbane, mortgage free or under control, with a couple of kids and partner with a great job will give you a very different viewpoint from a couple in Sydney running themselves ragged in gridlock traffic trying to make the cut off before the kindy fines kick in.

Conversely, getting the opinion of someone that's on the Sunshine Coast (for example) in a big house but struggling to find work, will be different to a couple of DINKs living the life in Sydney.

Both countries are so huge and diverse, IMO it's more relevant to stick to city vs city comparisons.

Also, absolutely agree about the visa question, everyone before that is wasted energy and sadly for lots, wasted hopes.
Swervo. Do you sit in grid locked traffic? There's a bit of a queue getting out of the Eastern Distributor tunnel at the stadium exit but that's about it. 15 mins door to door.

Grid lock traffic seems to be the big complaint about Sydney by those who don't live there.
Old May 16th 2016, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Swervo. Do you sit in grid locked traffic? There's a bit of a queue getting out of the Eastern Distributor tunnel at the stadium exit but that's about it. 15 mins door to door.

Grid lock traffic seems to be the big complaint about Sydney by those who don't live there.
That's no a realistic commute that those with families would do IMO but have at it.

I lived in Sydney for 25 yrs, got a 'pretty' good idea of what I'm on about. My wife and I used to work in same office, 9kms from where we lived. Most days I would run, she would drive. 9 times out of ten, I would beat her

How many 'sides' of Sydney have you lived (long term) and commutted (properley). I've lived Eastern subs (probably best for traffic as the typical distance is shorter). I've lived Upper and Lower Noth Shore, Northern Beaches and 3 times in The Shire. None of it is real pretty but IMO, the crossover between Lower and Upper Nth Shore is the worst.

Your 'view' of Sydney is extremely narrow and not reflective of life in the outer suburbs where folks trying to reach the satellite busines hubs live and work.
Old May 16th 2016, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
That's no a realistic commute that those with families would do IMO but have at it.

I lived in Sydney for 25 yrs, got a 'pretty' good idea of what I'm on about. My wife and I used to work in same office, 9kms from where we lived. Most days I would run, she would drive. 9 times out of ten, I would beat her

How many 'sides' of Sydney have you lived (long term) and commutted (properley). I've lived Eastern subs (probably best for traffic as the typical distance is shorter). I've lived Upper and Lower Noth Shore, Northern Beaches and 3 times in The Shire. None of it is real pretty but IMO, the crossover between Lower and Upper Nth Shore is the worst.

Your 'view' of Sydney is extremely narrow and not reflective of life in the outer suburbs where folks trying to reach the satellite busines hubs live and work.
I've done the commute from the shire. There's no grid lock on the train.

As for the Northern Beaches, forget it, great for a holiday but I wouldn't commute it. That said I'm told by those who live there that the bus lane provides a quick run into the city. I would not know.

I think grid lock is a weak argument in all due respect. If you are travelling into the city or North Sydney most do it on public transport. I'm lucky, I have a car spot
Old May 16th 2016, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Fair enough I'd say to enquire into whether it is worth going through the motions of applying to migrate, by asking questions into liveability before hand.

Nobody has suggested OP needs to apply for a visa before asking about lifestyle.

Merely that it is worth taking five minutes to determine if it is ever going to be likely. To do this before we all waste our time commenting on lifestyle seems entirely sensible to me.
Old May 16th 2016, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh we were always stuck in traffic. Stuck in traffic going to the mall at the weekend, going down to Collaroy or Narabeen (we lived Long Reef), always coming out of the city in the evening although we avoided the worst of it in the morning by gettting an early bus. Always bad traffic when we set off on a road trip, getting from northern beaches to the motorway system was pretty hellish.

No worse than any other city though.
Old May 16th 2016, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh we were always stuck in traffic. Stuck in traffic going to the mall at the weekend, going down to Collaroy or Narabeen (we lived Long Reef), always coming out of the city in the evening although we avoided the worst of it in the morning by gettting an early bus. Always bad traffic when we set off on a road trip, getting from northern beaches to the motorway system was pretty hellish.

No worse than any other city though.
As I said, northern beaches, great for a holiday.

I have to agree though. Whenever I go to Brisbane I get stuck in traffic, Perth airport to the city - WTF. Melbourne airport to the city ..... where's your train Melbourne?

Yep just like any other city.
Old May 17th 2016, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, northern beaches, great for a holiday.

I have to agree though. Whenever I go to Brisbane I get stuck in traffic, Perth airport to the city - WTF. Melbourne airport to the city ..... where's your train Melbourne?

Yep just like any other city.
Oh don't get me started on having to go to the airport... It's just gridlock and agony.

I do anything to try and avoid it. Hubby was flying out recently and I was like, "Can't I drop you at the station and you can take the bus from Southern Cross?"
Old May 17th 2016, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Japonica
Oh don't get me started on having to go to the airport... It's just gridlock and agony.

I do anything to try and avoid it. Hubby was flying out recently and I was like, "Can't I drop you at the station and you can take the bus from Southern Cross?"
Southern Cross? Is that in Melbourne?
Old May 17th 2016, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Southern Cross? Is that in Melbourne?
Southern Cross Station

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.