Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Toploader/Frontloader(Soap powder query!)

Toploader/Frontloader(Soap powder query!)

Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:41 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Toploader/Frontloader(Soap powder query!)

I have a front loading washing machine & up until the other week i was buying soap powder specifically for front loaders,i think i have tried just about every brand available for the front loader( there are very few available) out of all the brands ive tried i wasn't happy with any of them,poor washing results,no scent etc..I'm sure the front loader powder is more expensive too? & the biggest box i have seen is 3kg.
Anyway last week i bought Surf (sometimes used it back home)for top loaders ONLY as it says on the box,i was very wary as I'm sure somebody said to me if you use top loader powder in a front loader it makes your machine fill with foam resulting in a laundry room floor filled with suds?
Ive been using it for my washes all week & the results are fab & a lovely fragrance left on towels,clothes etc..reminded me of back home!!

So for now i will be using Surf top loader soap powder
Has anyone else did this? results good or bad ??

Donna.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:47 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Toploader/Frontloader(Soap powder query!)

I think it only fills with foam if you use too much powder.
I think they recommend about half the normal "Top Load" quantity for Front Loaders.

We use top loader powder too. With no problems

Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Donna

I used a top loader liquid for washing coloureds, it was fine at first; but gradually I started to get foam rising from the laundry sink and a nasty smell from the plughole!

I now use AVA, I get it from an Italian grocers and it's the Italian version of Ariel and for front loaders (sold in all sorts of sizes), the results are very good.

gd
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:51 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Walla, he'll tell ya.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by madsad
I have a front loading washing machine & up until the other week i was buying soap powder specifically for front loaders,i think i have tried just about every brand available for the front loader( there are very few available) out of all the brands ive tried i wasn't happy with any of them,poor washing results,no scent etc..I'm sure the front loader powder is more expensive too? & the biggest box i have seen is 3kg.
Anyway last week i bought Surf (sometimes used it back home)for top loaders ONLY as it says on the box,i was very wary as I'm sure somebody said to me if you use top loader powder in a front loader it makes your machine fill with foam resulting in a laundry room floor filled with suds?
Ive been using it for my washes all week & the results are fab & a lovely fragrance left on towels,clothes etc..reminded me of back home!!

So for now i will be using Surf top loader soap powder
Has anyone else did this? results good or bad ??

Donna.
i've been using it for while now, and i find as long as i dont over fill the washing machine its fine!
i've even managed to find "british comfort" costs almost twice as much but well worth it, it smells like home!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hi Donna,
We've used Omo front loader powder and I've been quite happy with it, nice scent etc. Did notice it specified on the box reasons as to why you shouldn't use anything else other than front loader specific powder. Apart from the extra suds etc it does mention possible high repair costs to machine :scared: but if all's going well with yours, and you've got a warranty it don't matter!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:34 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

How come no-one told me about using toploader soap in a frontloader?!!
Must be a well kept secret maybe im just slow on the uptake !!!

Donna.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it only fills with foam if you use too much powder.
I think they recommend about half the normal "Top Load" quantity for Front Loaders.

We use top loader powder too. With no problems
We've got nothing but trouble with our toploader .. seems that the soap is not distributed throughout the laundry .. leaving stains and all... quite irritating! We're missing our Siemens IQ! Now THAT was an awsome washer!

Anyone experienced problems with the top loaders here in OZ?

/Jørgen
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jskogsta
We've got nothing but trouble with our toploader .. seems that the soap is not distributed throughout the laundry .. leaving stains and all... quite irritating! We're missing our Siemens IQ! Now THAT was an awsome washer!

/Jørgen
I think you'll find its one of the most popular topics - do a search and you will be amazed!
I am currently wondering how the Bloke's top loader can produce clothes with powder streaks on them.... when we've used liquid for over a year, no powder in sight!!
Ah well, only three shirts to rewash this week
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:21 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jskogsta

/Jørgen

Too many clothes in the top loader, thats why.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

I buy Omo frontloader powder in 12KG boxes from BigW. It works v. well.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Toploader/Frontloader(Soap powder query!)

I buy omo-matic sensitive ( have to for the wee fellas skin) and like you have tried them all with very poor results. Everybody I know pre-soaks everything BUT i can't for 2 reasons - 1 , the wee mans allergic to all the pre-soak agents and 2, it really pis@es me off that I would have to pre-soak when I never did back home ! Anyway , omo-matic is made by the same folk that make PERSIL and as long as I wash at 40 or above , it seems to work fairly well.ALSO and this is a big bonus , I have found COMFORT PURE in 3L bottle size at my local open air market , OK it's all written in VIETMANESE but , hey ! I finally have the nice fresh smell of clean washing !
All the best to you Donna ,
Tass.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Too many clothes in the top loader, thats why.
Just don't get me started !! My top loader was crap when i washed 2 things in it

Donna *whisper... it says on the boxes what type of machine its for*

We use washing liquid in our new front loader, all seems well so far, oh and clean