Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Top Ten Bad Losers

Top Ten Bad Losers

Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Top Ten Bad Losers

Should have posteed this when it came out, but anyhoo. There was an article published in the Sunday Times recently where they listed the top 10 bad losers in the history of sport.

All your old favourites were in there: Tonya Harding, Adolf Hitler, Alex Ferguson, but most interesting to readers of this forum would have been the entry at number 8 (co-incidentally the only non-individual appearance in the list). I quote as it is written:

8. Australians Not just the rugby players, not just the cricketers, although they are all bad enough. No , we're talking about absolutely every single Australian. Theirs is a nation whose motto should be "Unbearable in victory, Inconsolable in defeat"

and so it goes on - and for my mind it's a most entertaining read.

The question is - should we take this seriously, and if we do, surely they'd be higher up than 8?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Ten Bad Losers

Originally posted by RichS
Should have posteed this when it came out, but anyhoo. There was an article published in the Sunday Times recently where they listed the top 10 bad losers in the history of sport.

All your old favourites were in there: Tonya Harding, Adolf Hitler, Alex Ferguson, but most interesting to readers of this forum would have been the entry at number 8 (co-incidentally the only non-individual appearance in the list). I quote as it is written:

8. Australians Not just the rugby players, not just the cricketers, although they are all bad enough. No , we're talking about absolutely every single Australian. Theirs is a nation whose motto should be "Unbearable in victory, Inconsolable in defeat"

The question is - should we take this seriously, and if we do, surely they'd be higher up than 8?
Top excuses as well, I only told him to bowl underarm as I was having a mental breakdown
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Arnotts Bodyline Biscuits. Need I say anymore.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Hey, Aussies are number 1: they are the worst losers AND worst winners (eg when they won that soccer match against the poms).
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Reckon they should be much higher up than 8 too!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 6:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Must be comforting for Poms to be superior losers.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 6:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Must be comforting for Poms to be superior losers.
We could have semi-final loss on penalties to Germany biscuits but it doesn't have the same ring.

Hand of god ice cream might go down well.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
They're not still sore about Bodyline, are they?. That was in the 30's, they need to get over it.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as being bad losers go, I've played club cricket in both countries and the tantrums and hissy fits I've seen from players in England is pathetic. Maybe it's just the league I'm in but in all the close games my team has won, there have been players from the opposition team that have stormed off the field refusing to shake hands with us. That's never happened once in the cricket I've played in Australia. Although I'm sure someone has had the opposite experience to me.

As for bodyline, no one has complained about it in the last 70 years. It's only recalled because it was one of the most significant and exciting Ashes series of all time.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Top Ten Bad Losers

Originally posted by RichS

I agree, Australians should be much higher up the list. We are just not as well practiced as some
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Unforunately bad losers usually end up winners.Show me a good loser and I`ll show you a loser.It`s not pretty but it`s true.Winners who are occasional good losers are usually genius and they dont come around that often!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney
Unforunately bad losers usually end up winners.Show me a good loser and I`ll show you a loser.It`s not pretty but it`s true.Winners who are occasional good losers are usually genius and they dont come around that often!!
And generally it has nothing to do with nationality. The English football team and supporters are neither good winners or good losers.