Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Top Loaders really that bad?

Wikiposts

Are Top Loaders really that bad?

Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Top Loaders really that bad?

The Bosch front loader [it's an European model ;-) ]I bought from a migrant for 50 bucks 4.5 years ago has finally died. (Can't complain).

Mrs B is considering a new top loader as the cycle seems way shorter and you can wack stuff in them after start and they take more.

Principle driver is that we have 2 kids <3 and that we do a lot of washing, machine will be plumbed into rain tank. We already save 2/3 water compared to use without the tank.

I have no issue, but it is really true they destroy clothes, or this just a bit of 'Pommy Poetic' License from people who just prefer what they had or did back in the UK? Do any type fair better?

cheers

B
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are Top Loaders really that bad?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The Bosch front loader [it's an European model ;-) ]I bought from a migrant for 50 bucks 4.5 years ago has finally died. (Can't complain).

Mrs B is considering a new top loader as the cycle seems way shorter and you can wack stuff in them after start and they take more.

Principle driver is that we have 2 kids <3 and that we do a lot of washing, machine will be plumbed into rain tank. We already save 2/3 water compared to use without the tank.

I have no issue, but it is really true they destroy clothes, or this just a bit of 'Pommy Poetic' License from people who just prefer what they had or did back in the UK? Do any type fair better?

cheers

B
They only sometimes destroy the clothes when they have that stupid pointless stick in the middle - most of the new moddles don't have that stick anymore. I used to only have front loaders, but recently baught a new Samsung top loader (no stick in the middle) and it's excellent and hasnt destroyed any of my clothes. It's fast a quiet too, lol.

Mikey
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
They only sometimes destroy the clothes when they have that stupid pointless stick in the middle - most of the new moddles don't have that stick anymore. I used to only have front loaders, but recently baught a new Samsung top loader (no stick in the middle) and it's excellent and hasnt destroyed any of my clothes. It's fast a quiet too, lol.

Mikey
Gotcha. I did mention that the newer ones might not have the stick and thought I might have been fibbing. Cheers mate. That's the piece of evidence I needed...

and it sounds like its a buyer's market..the repair guy suggested Simpson or Hoover as the parts are cheaper...throw it to the floor?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

I've only ever owned front loaders and currently own one. Never had any clothes destroyed.

In our short term accommodation here in Aus, had the joy of being able to use a top loader, and the difference was astounding...quicker cycles, quiet, even a quirky little tune played when the cycle was finished. (Doesn't take much to please me!)

Now we're in our own place, have bought another fronter, habit I guess really.

Creature of habit me...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
even a quirky little tune played when the cycle was finished. (Doesn't take much to please me!)
lol, Mine does that, plays a song to let me know it's done, when I first got it I thought it was a mobile phone that one of my mates left behind, spent ages looking for it, lol.

Mikey
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

cheers

B

Mikey
Gotcha. I did mention that the newer ones might not have the stick and thought I might have been fibbing. Cheers mate. That's the piece of evidence I needed...

and it sounds like its a buyer's market..the repair guy suggested Simpson or Hoover as the parts are cheaper...throw it to the floor?
Two blokes, on a Friday night, talking about the relative qualities of front loading as opposed to top loading washing machines.

The world's gone mad I tell ya. Mad!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spartacus
Two blokes, on a Friday night, talking about the relative qualities of front loading as opposed to top loading washing machines.

2 blokes and many an observer at home...

OK - back to the algebra and wine!

EDIT - we need one. I've been wearing my socks for 2 days and the washing is piling up!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 11th 2008 at 11:56 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:59 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

2 blokes and many an observer at home...

OK - back to the algebra and wine!

EDIT - we need one. I've been wearing my socks for 2 days and the washing is piling up!
can you finish up on the toploaders before moving onto algebra please?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus

It's 10:16 and i'm eatin dinner.... Clubbing doesnt start until about 11..... and stay all the way through to 6am (Oxford street of course) and then head to maccas for breakfast, thats gonna be my night tonight!

What about you? Sitting on here reading I guess?

Mikey
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's 10:16 and i'm eatin dinner.... Clubbing doesnt start until about 11..... and stay all the way through to 6am (Oxford street of course) and then head to maccas for breakfast, thats gonna be my night tonight!

What about you? Sitting on here reading I guess?

Mikey
Blimey, you can tell you are a whippersnapper and I am an old hag. Just had my dinner, by 10.16 I will be sparko on the sofa and up again at 6am with the dog and pegging washing out. I think I need to get a life
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We always had front loaders in the UK not always brilliant ones, but even the crap ones were better that the top loader we had when we first moved here. Sure you can fit more in, but they often get holes in them, or just bashed until they look old and tatty.
As soon as we could afford a front loader we got one, and it is wonderful! And plays a little tune at the end. LOL

Our top loader had the middle bit. Where I worked in the UK we also had a top loader and that also destroyed things.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
We always had front loaders in the UK not always brilliant ones, but even the crap ones were better that the top loader we had when we first moved here. Sure you can fit more in, but they often get holes in them, or just bashed until they look old and tatty.
As soon as we could afford a front loader we got one, and it is wonderful! And plays a little tune at the end. LOL

Our top loader had the middle bit. Where I worked in the UK we also had a top loader and that also destroyed things.
I remember reading about this. Sad I know.

Front loaders use less space and are traditionally in small UK kitchens. Aus and the US have utility rooms or laundry rooms - or bigger kitchens and thus more space. Generally, top loaders can hold more but this disparity has closed recently as the ability of front loaders to fit more in has increased. That said, 10kg top loaders are far more common than 10kg front loaders.

I also read (sadness again) that your tradition laundrettes in the UK and everywhere use top loaders because they last longer as the water sits in the bottom and is not moved. That said, a front loader should wash better as the clothes go in and out of the water, rather than being immersed.

Bottom line - modern technology (last couple of years) means that a front loader will generally wash better than a top loader, since the clothes are treated and handled better. However, like a toaster, some do a better job with others, so a poor front loader will be worse than a good top loader.

That's just what I've read and heard...
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If we do go the TL route, I am quite certain that we need to get one without the central spline.

The current FL takes an age even on short wash and that is driving us mad.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Top Loaders are tangle matics in my opinion I have had a few and now on my second front loader which cleans better and does not abuse my clothes and uses way way less water.

We live on an acreage block and when we had the top loader we had one of those grey drainage thingys on the drain and the top loader water would go right down the block in a little trench we have next to the trees. When we changed to the front loader hardly any so we do not bother now.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:57 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I hate them. Got a rental one now and it does not clean the clothes very well and everything comes out all mangled. My top with sequins which washed fine in my front loader has lost a few sequins in the top loader. Not the end of the world as its a maternity top I wont be wearing for much longer but they are so much harsher on clothes and they are not as good on water consumption as front loaders so that would make me go front loader everytime.

I cant wait for mine to arrive by ship and then I can get rid of the top loader

Jo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.