Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Toowoomba? Current job market? Easy to find a job?

Toowoomba? Current job market? Easy to find a job?

Old Oct 4th 2014, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Smile Toowoomba? Current job market? Easy to find a job?

Hi,

I have been living in Darwin since March 2010, but am now considering moving interstate. I have researched quite a few places, including visiting a few places. At present I am seriously considering Toowoomba in Queensland.

I have started researching Toowoomba but am looking for advice on the current job market there? Is it easy to find a job in Toowoomba? And if so, where are good places to find employment?

I have done a search on here for past posts on Toowoomba but didn't find anything current on the job market.

Hoping some folk on here can tell me their views on this.

All advice will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toowoomba? Current job market? Easy to find a job?

Bit vague regarding jobs, are you a sheep farmer, teacher or pilot perhaps for the new airport ?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice

Hi Bobby,

Good question.

I have a range of skills and experiences.

I am a bookkeeper, corporate finance adviser and former employee of H&R Block. I am currently working in property and have been for the past 4 and a half years for the NT Government. I also work at the weekends for a hotel doing 16 hours of Night Auditing work. When I was younger, and after I graduated, I became a fully qualified teacher and am recognised as such in Australia (but I don't want to do that line of work).

Other things I have done: did 3 years in the infantry (army reserves), worked in manufacturing with china for 4 years, services with India for 3 years, and sold used vehicles for 4 years.

Education wise I have first class degree in Business Studies from a UK University. I have been accepted to enter the CPA Program here in Australia but am not sure whether to proceed with that.

So I have done a range of things and am able to do a range of different jobs.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyjames
Hi,

I have been living in Darwin since March 2010, but am now considering moving interstate. I have researched quite a few places, including visiting a few places. At present I am seriously considering Toowoomba in Queensland.

I have started researching Toowoomba but am looking for advice on the current job market there? Is it easy to find a job in Toowoomba? And if so, where are good places to find employment?

I have done a search on here for past posts on Toowoomba but didn't find anything current on the job market.

Hoping some folk on here can tell me their views on this.

All advice will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gary
I have to ask......why Toowoomba? Seems a strange choice to pick out of nowhere!
We have had a couple of people posting from there in the past but I don't know of anyone out there at the moment.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:00 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also be interested in finding out why Darwin? )
Old Oct 5th 2014, 7:25 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bobby,

Good question.

I have a range of skills and experiences.

I am a bookkeeper, corporate finance adviser and former employee of H&R Block. I am currently working in property and have been for the past 4 and a half years for the NT Government. I also work at the weekends for a hotel doing 16 hours of Night Auditing work. When I was younger, and after I graduated, I became a fully qualified teacher and am recognised as such in Australia (but I don't want to do that line of work).

Other things I have done: did 3 years in the infantry (army reserves), worked in manufacturing with china for 4 years, services with India for 3 years, and sold used vehicles for 4 years.

Education wise I have first class degree in Business Studies from a UK University. I have been accepted to enter the CPA Program here in Australia but am not sure whether to proceed with that.

So I have done a range of things and am able to do a range of different jobs.

Kind Regards,

Gary
You will have more chance of finding a job as a teacher, as your other skills describe 90% of the unemployed in Toowoomba. Check SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site for vacancies.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pollyana,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I am interested in Toowoomba because from what I have read of various different places in Australia that Toowoomba's economy has some similarities with Darwin. Also, it is within a few hours drive of places such as the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane - which are places that my wife likes, and which we could visit for a day trip at weekends. We are ready for a different climate too after 4 and a half years of Darwin weather.

I just want to check if my research is correct...because the research suggests unemployment is quite low in Toowoomba...from people who actually live there...especially from immigrants who have recent experiences of trying to find a job there.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi astera,

Thanks for the message.

In short, I chose Darwin because I was sponsored by the NT Government to live and work there. I also chose it because unemployment was very low.

I am basically looking for a place with similar metrics as Darwin but with a less tropical climate and which is close to interesting places to visit within a few hours drive. From my research, Toowoomba appears to tick all of the boxes.

But because I am an immigrant I want to check if any immigrants on here have any experiences recently of trying to find a job in Toowoomba and what success they had.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Hello The Bloke,

Thanks for the URL and the advice.

I find teaching too stressful, so won't be applying for anything in that field, but your advice is noted nonetheless.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Oct 5th 2014, 3:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyana,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I am interested in Toowoomba because from what I have read of various different places in Australia that Toowoomba's economy has some similarities with Darwin. Also, it is within a few hours drive of places such as the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane - which are places that my wife likes, and which we could visit for a day trip at weekends. We are ready for a different climate too after 4 and a half years of Darwin weather.

I just want to check if my research is correct...because the research suggests unemployment is quite low in Toowoomba...from people who actually live there...especially from immigrants who have recent experiences of trying to find a job there.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Have a look for posts by Jen1977ni She was i Toowoomba for a while and was quite a prolific poster at that time, you might pick up some info that way? She was a teacher out there. Can't think of anyone else though.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Are you aware of the new Wellcamp airport and business park which I believe is to create lots of jobs:

Wagners :: Career Opportunities
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I am another who will question your possible choice of Toowoomba. The Brisbane area is a much nicer place. Toowoomba can be very hot and dry and very cold in the winter.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I must say I am another who will question your possible choice of Toowoomba. The Brisbane area is a much nicer place. Toowoomba can be very hot and dry and very cold in the winter.
Yep me too. It is a weird choice and hence not many there, Jen was only there because her OH had army posting. I don't understand why OP wouldn't chose Brisbane and be even closer to places to visit..
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone feels duty bound to follow the masses and head for a city.

Toowoomba is a lovely town, mix match of employment choices and housing is relatively well priced.

Your experience could lead you in many different directions and until you narrow down your preferences it may be a little hard to advise. For example, if you wanted to sell cars you could approach the top five main dealers but at your age I don't suppose I really need to tell you that!

I've many friends who commute to Toowoomba as that's the place the jobs are so for me that explains the potential for opportunity ...
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Not everyone feels duty bound to follow the masses and head for a city.

Toowoomba is a lovely town, mix match of employment choices and housing is relatively well priced.

Your experience could lead you in many different directions and until you narrow down your preferences it may be a little hard to advise. For example, if you wanted to sell cars you could approach the top five main dealers but at your age I don't suppose I really need to tell you that!

I've many friends who commute to Toowoomba as that's the place the jobs are so for me that explains the potential for opportunity ...
It just seemed a bit random is all. And OP did not know what job situation was like, so that wasn't the reason for choosing it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.