Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

toon army exiles

toon army exiles

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 3:55 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road
Default toon army exiles

Just wondered - any exiled toon fans on this group? Or any other football fans for that matter. Was wondering whether you kept up with your old teams, or whether you took the tebbit test and switched to rugby/cricket/ozzie rules )
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Three ardent Reading Fans here Dad Mum Son - all season ticket holders - boy was it hard leaving them! Andy keeps up with weekly information from website and phone calls to his father who goes to matches, we tried staying up Saturday nights for live radio feed through the internet but was costly for very little. Son has swopped interests to Beach, skating and mates. Chart on kitchen wall charting progress...plan trip back to UK to catch end of season, hope there might be good news! (well really coming back to validate visas).

Can't stand cricket, Rugby union fine and looking forward to World Cup here.

It is a wrench, I actually miss sitting freezing watching a game.

cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:12 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default Re: toon army exiles

im a boro fan(season ticket holder) and you may think im mad but i will miss going to the matches like crazy when i migrate to perth. but ive noticed perth glory have an exeptional team and are doing well so i`ll have to turn my sights on them. mind you it may be like watching darlo play..lol hate rugby,cricket and whats ozzie rules about???? guess its glory or bust.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

cariad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep we're mags

Watched em woop spurs over christmas at SJP. Started getting into the tri-nations when we we're living in Perth though - it's about the only thing I could relate to (just like six nations). Couldn't get into aussie rules no matter how many crownies I got down me neck. As for cricket, nuf said really.

Gan cannie ...
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:57 pm
Magnetic Member

Originally posted by cariad
Yep we're mags

Watched em woop spurs over christmas at SJP. Started getting into the tri-nations when we we're living in Perth though - it's about the only thing I could relate to (just like six nations). Couldn't get into aussie rules no matter how many crownies I got down me neck. As for cricket, nuf said really.

Gan cannie ...
i was there too. Took an Aussie mate to see toon v liverpool the othernight and he was well impressed, even though it was bloody cold............
Old Jan 5th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping to move to adelaide soon and will miss going to see tottenham more than I can explain,even after yesterdays pathetic performance.Have tried watching adelaide city force a few times but did`nt really cut it for me.I will give it a try again when I`m there.First time I went I wore a tottenham top into a pub across from the ground and thought I`d be the odd one out wearing an english football top.The barman ,barmaids and most of the people in the pub had english and scottish club tops on.Felt at home without the agro. jockney
Old Jan 5th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by magnetman
Just wondered - any exiled toon fans on this group? Or any other football fans for that matter. Was wondering whether you kept up with your old teams, or whether you took the tebbit test and switched to rugby/cricket/ozzie rules )
Hi I'm Keel's wife and yes, I live, breathe and eat toon! I will defintiely be still following them when we go to Perth (hopefully in 2 months) and won't be deflecting to any other sports.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:50 am
Just Joined

trevg is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: toon army exiles

Newcastle NSW actually has a soccer team called Newcastle United, although it must be said that whilst soccer is perhaps the sport here with the greatest degree of participation, aussie soccer really just doent get a look in in on the TV (you are more likely to see UK Premier games than anything home-grown)

Trev

Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

cariad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default keel

Where abouts in Northumberland are you? We're from Amble and hoping to go to Perth this year. BTW theres a society in Perth called the Coquet Club made up of ex-amblers / Northumbrians.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 1:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

To watch any sport it requires that you like the game and most important you care who wins, thanks to the fact most Australians are bad sports and act like spoil children when they lose , I now find I can support any team that plays an Australian one on an international level.
If you get Foxtel it has a lot of British sport on it plus Sky News from the UK , lots of live Football games and also Rugby and other sports.
There are clubs for English Football supporters all round Australia mostly in the capital citys, the British Soccer Weekly used to list them.
You will see far more British Soccer shirts out here than any other sporting colours and there are many of the Toon Army around , the Aussies will only wear their national teams colours only when they are on the point of wining a Cup match.
The most worn shirt is a Man utd one even the sad locals buy them by the cart load , schools kids where polled here on which sporting team they followed , Man utd was top above any Aussie rules team or rugby team.
Its enought to make a grown man cry , no wonder the goverment here is trying to sort out the mess which Australian football is in , the standard here is about as good as non league in the UK.

Old Jan 7th 2003, 12:20 pm
Magnetic Member

Originally posted by pommie bastard

The most worn shirt is a Man utd one even the sad locals buy them by the cart load:
Nothing new there then. Most Man U 'fans' in the UK have never been anywhere near Manchester
Old Jan 8th 2003, 5:16 pm
Magnetic Member

Originally posted by jockney
Hoping to move to adelaide soon and will miss going to see tottenham more than I can explain,even after yesterdays pathetic performance. jockney
After the way we played on Sunday against Wolves I have some sympathy for you! Maybe if I left the country we might actually win something.....

Always enjoyed matches v Spurs, Sir Les always gets a great reception from us. From the NUFC.com report on the last game:

"The reception given to Les Ferdinand when he appeared as a sub was once again tremendous - could this be his last return as a player? As is usually the case the cheers soon turned to boos when Les got his first few touches. Hopefully, Les still remembers the Geordie sense of humour although this one still seems to bemuse commentators."

Maybe we should be looking for an honourable draw on the 29th Jan
Old Jan 8th 2003, 6:14 pm
Tez
Forum Regular

Tez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default obsessed british football fans

Look, i have to get this off my chest I never have been able to comprehend why people do it.First is first,i do like football and am an armchair supporter of London's best team Arsenal.I'm also a great sports fan and enjoy Rugby union,Cricket,athletics,boxing etc etc.
It made me cringe when i saw that post from the Toon army fan about the supporters who live out in Oz.Iwas hopeing not to see any of that nonsense out there.The thought of pale/fat/boring /ugly (and thats just the female )supporters trapesing through the streets of any city in oz ,makes me feel ashamed to be British.
I have travelled extensively all over the world and you never saw this bloody embarassing site anywhere.Its only the last 10-15 yrs.
Why is it that people who are mad on football (and generally nothing else in life) pay over inflated prices to go and watch grossly over paid-- over hyped morons kicking a football around week in week out.
Lets face it most footballers are as thick as pigshit and think they're being clever when they give mindboggingly boring answers to basic questions,put to them by journalists, who are far more intelligent than they are.There are hoards of brits roaming around Perth in soccer shirts,what a sad indicment of what the British think they are these days.
This is a new country you are going to,it has thousands of things to do and see other than concentrating all your waking hour living football. As i said i'm a sports fan and love the idea of the aussies being very good at it,i hope my children get fully involved,but like pommie bastard says they are bad losers and he is right they are but at least they're bloody good at winning unlike the brits.
Two years ago we were on holiday in menorca and had a lovely appartment over looking the med,away form the local town called Cala n' Porter.We walked down to the town for a meal (bad mistake, food not very good and the service rubbish to cater for all the uk football fans) . All you could see along the front were fat oafs,male and females,in their cheap trainers and ill fitting clothes ,wearing their ill fitting club shirts, swearing,chomping shit food and trying to guzzle down booze at the same time.Needless to say we got out of there very quick and enjoyed the rest of the evening away from such an embarassing load of dross.
Im not the only one who hates seeing this abroad there are countless others who also loathe it.
SO PLEASE, STAY IN THE UK GIVING EVERYTHING, TIME,MONEY AND YOUR LIFE TO, LETS FACE IT, FOOTBALLERS WHO COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU AS LONG AS YOU'RE PAYING THEIR OBSCENE WAGES EVERY WEEK,And let the rest of us lead a more fulfilling life.
Old Jan 8th 2003, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Sammy Reebok is an unknown quantity at this point

Small town in Sunderland.....your just a small town in Sunderland

Only joking, great club, good fans
Old Jan 8th 2003, 7:23 pm
Magnetic Member

Default Re: obsessed british football fans

Originally posted by Tez
Look, i have to get this off my chest I never have been able to comprehend why people do it.First is first,i do like football and am an armchair supporter of London's best team Arsenal.I'm also a great sports fan and enjoy Rugby union,Cricket,athletics,boxing etc etc.
It made me cringe when i saw that post from the Toon army fan about the supporters who live out in Oz.Iwas hopeing not to see any of that nonsense out there.The thought of pale/fat/boring /ugly (and thats just the female )supporters trapesing through the streets of any city in oz ,makes me feel ashamed to be British.
I have travelled extensively all over the world and you never saw this bloody embarassing site anywhere.Its only the last 10-15 yrs.
Why is it that people who are mad on football (and generally nothing else in life) pay over inflated prices to go and watch grossly over paid-- over hyped morons kicking a football around week in week out.
Lets face it most footballers are as thick as pigshit and think they're being clever when they give mindboggingly boring answers to basic questions,put to them by journalists, who are far more intelligent than they are.There are hoards of brits roaming around Perth in soccer shirts,what a sad indicment of what the British think they are these days.
This is a new country you are going to,it has thousands of things to do and see other than concentrating all your waking hour living football. As i said i'm a sports fan and love the idea of the aussies being very good at it,i hope my children get fully involved,but like pommie bastard says they are bad losers and he is right they are but at least they're bloody good at winning unlike the brits.
Two years ago we were on holiday in menorca and had a lovely appartment over looking the med,away form the local town called Cala n' Porter.We walked down to the town for a meal (bad mistake, food not very good and the service rubbish to cater for all the uk football fans) . All you could see along the front were fat oafs,male and females,in their cheap trainers and ill fitting clothes ,wearing their ill fitting club shirts, swearing,chomping shit food and trying to guzzle down booze at the same time.Needless to say we got out of there very quick and enjoyed the rest of the evening away from such an embarassing load of dross.
Im not the only one who hates seeing this abroad there are countless others who also loathe it.
SO PLEASE, STAY IN THE UK GIVING EVERYTHING, TIME,MONEY AND YOUR LIFE TO, LETS FACE IT, FOOTBALLERS WHO COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU AS LONG AS YOU'RE PAYING THEIR OBSCENE WAGES EVERY WEEK,And let the rest of us lead a more fulfilling life.
sounds like you're the one who needs to get a life. Sense of proportion Tez, or keep taking the tablets. We are all entitled to our opinions. Just because I like football doesn't mean I wander round in a replica shirt on holiday. You are making a rather sweeping generalisation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.