Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tools/Shed junk-how clean should they be ?

Tools/Shed junk-how clean should they be ?

Old Apr 24th 2003, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

hibee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tools/Shed junk-how clean should they be ?

Originally posted by baldbutts
Just started to sort out me shed & garage,and found a lot more stuff to take than I first thought.Got a few power tools,screws,bolts,tins and jars of stuff,that all add up to quite a few quids worth if I have to replace it all.
There's no mud or crud on it,but it's got plenty of dust on,so will customs go ape if they see it.I really can't be arsed to clean it all off.

Any thoughts ?
cheers

BB-Mr Trebus in disguise
Hi Baldbutts,
Must admit wish i had brought the remains of the shed instead of getting rid. Did not realise how much i needed half the crap i used to keep

I beleive customs are very fussy and charge you for the cleaning .
I got pulled up at Melbourne for my golf shoes !!!!! they took them of me and cleaned them , best clean they have ever had,
did not chatge me . Must have realised that as a scot i would have told them to piss off.
Regards
Jamie.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool DIRT

customs, have nothing to do with your goods , till it gets serious,some examples from my expriences ,[1] ex -british commando, who tried to bring in war souveniers from the falk lands ,found during random check by aquis[ quarantine], customs called in, found,mags from AK 47 ,FLAIR ROUNDS , FLAIR PISTOL , PARTS FOR MORTAR ,DOUBLE EDGED DAGGERS, ETC, this guy got off with a warning,[2] U.S .citzen body builder aquis find suspect tablets in ship ment ? customs called, illegal steroids, 10,000a$ fine,,[3] young couple x UK ,suspect drugs ,unknown powder,customs bring in dogs, no result , tests still out standing ,[4] BMW 328 X South Africa , suspect snail shell found under bonnet,quarantine alert ,no AFRICAN SNAILS in Australia, car cleaned at clients exspense, again cost a$350, all i can say is that if you come clean ,you will have no worries, these incidents were over a 3 month period last year [2002] and this just little old Adelaide, pop 1.1mill........mm
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

burngreavejoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

I was told you cannot take wicker. However, a removal company said we can take our loom wicker chairs as they are painted. So if you get busy painting your furniture, you can take it with you. I feel like a regular little blue peter.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 9:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool LOADING

Originally posted by M4rk
Tell me about it.. clean this scrub that... but dont it all look nice when they are done... all our old junk looks pretty cool now!

We have even scrubbed the plant pots clean. (Jayes fluid seems to be good to clean them all up).

:lecture: btw plastic is great to store them in until you are packed, but the packers all reckon plastic is bad, and should not be used as it condenses while at sea and stuff gets wet, mouldy, smelly, rusty etc. - use paper.

Golden rule from all the shipping companys has been :

Appearance is everything, clean it or leave it.

Cheers.

M & A. Aus in July03... come SARS or High Water.
Your company has given you good advice mark,"clean it or leave it",as for the plastics....? we have unloaded 100,s of shipments from all over the world, and the only water damage i have seen is from a container which was holed in the roof,probably by a clumsy fork lift or gantry operator. We use what is called export wrap, that is plasic one side ,paper on the other,with a layer of bubble in the middle, it works well,but is exspensive to buy[a$120aroll] compared with wadded paper,which alot of us/uk companys use, all our mattress,s are plastic bagged along with lounge cushion,s dine chairs etc, if your container/truck is loaded on a rain,y day make sure all fabrics are wrapped before they leave the house, ask the company if they are using a general freight container [dry goods] some companys use chiller/reefer cont,s as they get them cheaper,plus the shipping /cont companys can relocate emptys back to oz,[better loaded than m/t] these are washed constantly and have ahigher moisture content,than g/p containers,.............MM
Old Apr 24th 2003, 9:55 pm
Banned

Cool X MAS DECS

Originally posted by burngreavejoy
I was told you cannot take wicker. However, a removal company said we can take our loom wicker chairs as they are painted. So if you get busy painting your furniture, you can take it with you. I feel like a regular little blue peter.
Wicker, cane ,bamboo furniture is ok ,aslong as it has been treated,[painted /varnished ] etc,one thing to check is x-mas decorations,we find alot from the u,s/u,k/canada,with pine cones or pine bark on them, these are a definite no-no, and agitates the quarantine agents,so they then start looking harder at the shipment,which can cause delays in clearing your goods,so unless your decs are a family heirloom ,toss,um, beside,s when it,s 40,deg c who wants to look at snow covered pine cones,?........MM