Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tools etc. ok to take? new or nearley new?

tools etc. ok to take? new or nearley new?

Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light
Smile tools etc. ok to take? new or nearley new?

Hi, just wondering i have recently purchased several new tools etc. honda lawn mower, stihl saw, chain saws, generator, etc. how do i stand as to taking them over to brisbane with me? only i ve heard that tools etc. have to be clean and like new. only if i keep them unused in the boxs, will i be charged an import tax? i want to use my new mower but worried about "contaminating" it with dirt + grass etc. what do you think? shall i use my new items or keep them new in the boxs? also i have a lovely tipping trailer for work worth a couple of grand could i take that also? i'd even take my caravan if i could get it in a container! i seem to have a lot of gear when i think about it, but we all (wife and 3 girls under 6) love camping and biking seems a shame to have to buy all over again when we will be getting a container. also is it me or is every one you know thinking of, or knows someone who is leaving for oz? any help or advice would be great cheers paul.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:13 pm
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: tools etc. ok to take? new or nearley new?

im takin my chainsaw they have to be spotless, and the shippin company have told me theres a 80 dollar cleanin charge if they think its not clean enough so i will be at it will the wifes toothbrush
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

its seeds, plant material etc that they are trying to stop
tools get grubby its not a problem just make sure mowers and gardening equipment is spotless and a good splash of strong smelling disenfectant wouldnt go amiss
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve`o
tools get grubby its not a problem just make sure mowers and gardening equipment is spotless and a good splash of strong smelling disenfectant wouldnt go amiss
thanks mate, been dying to use my new mower but worried i cant take it with me.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Hi, just wondering i have recently purchased several new tools etc. honda lawn mower, stihl saw, chain saws, generator, etc. how do i stand as to taking them over to brisbane with me? only i ve heard that tools etc. have to be clean and like new. only if i keep them unused in the boxs, will i be charged an import tax? i want to use my new mower but worried about "contaminating" it with dirt + grass etc. what do you think? shall i use my new items or keep them new in the boxs? also i have a lovely tipping trailer for work worth a couple of grand could i take that also? i'd even take my caravan if i could get it in a container! i seem to have a lot of gear when i think about it, but we all (wife and 3 girls under 6) love camping and biking seems a shame to have to buy all over again when we will be getting a container. also is it me or is every one you know thinking of, or knows someone who is leaving for oz? any help or advice would be great cheers paul.
Tipping trailer may not be 'Aussie compliant' which means you won't be able to register it. [I don't know about other states but here is WA any trailer need to be registered and have a separate number plate issued].
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Tipping trailer may not be 'Aussie compliant' which means you won't be able to register it. [I don't know about other states but here is WA any trailer need to be registered and have a separate number plate issued].
thanks for that, seems a shame to not take it. but if you need to register it i think i will save the trouble and just flog it here. i will take the rest of my gear though. cheers paul.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:37 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

HI Steve,

Can you recommend the best solution to cleaning garden machinery, I would not wish to use Jeyes fluid as it can be very corrosive.

Thanks

Silverski
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We drained all oil/petrol out, gave them mega pressure washing, dried thoroughly and then sprayed liberally with WD40. Had no problem with any of it. Nothing was opened by AQIS. We bought a bottle of Jeyes and ended up not using it
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We drained all oil/petrol out, gave them mega pressure washing, dried thoroughly and then sprayed liberally with WD40. Had no problem with any of it. Nothing was opened by AQIS. We bought a bottle of Jeyes and ended up not using it
is there an "import tax" charged if you take brand new boxed tools etc. over?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:12 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

is there an "import tax" charged if you take brand new boxed tools etc. over?
on goods less tha 12 months old i believe
take em out of the fancy cardboard boxes and into your tool chest
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

on goods less tha 12 months old i believe
take em out of the fancy cardboard boxes and into your tool chest
even mower, genny, etc? thanks a lot,
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:18 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by the shippers that everything should be 'more than 12 months old'
so use your mower once or twice and give a good clean with the pressure washer/steam cleaner if you have one..... if it looks really shiny they can just check the serial number to see when it was manufactured... apparently they've been know to do this as well.

Most of this is just what I've heard, I've never met anyone who's been really stung by Aussie customs, but there's always an opportunity on her for somebody to come forward!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alipally
We were told by the shippers that everything should be 'more than 12 months old'
so use your mower once or twice and give a good clean with the pressure washer/steam cleaner if you have one..... if it looks really shiny they can just check the serial number to see when it was manufactured... apparently they've been know to do this as well.

Most of this is just what I've heard, I've never met anyone who's been really stung by Aussie customs, but there's always an opportunity on her for somebody to come forward!!
thanks a lot, just what i wanted to hear.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

even mower, genny, etc? thanks a lot,
Providing you're not bringing 10 gennys or 20 mowers, keeping the odd bits of new stuff in their boxes is fine - the best protection after all. AQIS fully understand you bringing new stuff with you, just don't take the piss or they will charge you. We didn't buy tools to bring but we did buy a new microwave and vacuum cleaner, both of which remained sealed in their boxes. They weren't interested.