Too old to try?

Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:21 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too old to try?

Originally Posted by Fiona67
Twinsdad all the best with your new life, hope it is all you hoped for and more.
My 16yr old is also the one who is now desperate to make the move with the 14yr old not so sure now. We should of done it a couple of years ago when we had the chance but at 13yrs of age my daughter was dead against it and we let the oportunity slip. What will you be doing workwise when you get over there? And have you secured PR visas, my worry now is the kids ages regarding school it doesn't seem to be as straight forward as it does here, making the last couple of years more stressful for them perhaps?? Anyway hope all goes well with your plans and well done for getting out there and giving it a shot
id go for it if i had the chance again ... i let the opportunity slip away from me when it presented itself several years ago, and i now seriously regret it.
re the uni fees - dunno about where you are, but if any of mine go to uni here in the uk we are looking at a £30k debt ... surely the aus uni fees are comparable if not less?
go for it ... i would
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:29 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
id go for it if i had the chance again ... i let the opportunity slip away from me when it presented itself several years ago, and i now seriously regret it.
re the uni fees - dunno about where you are, but if any of mine go to uni here in the uk we are looking at a £30k debt ... surely the aus uni fees are comparable if not less? ignore that bit and see below!!
go for it ... i would
actually, just had a quick google at international student fees at sydney uni are $26k+ and uni of wa are $25k+
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
actually, just had a quick google at international student fees at sydney uni are $26k+ and uni of wa are $25k+
Yes, but that's for International students. Students with PR qualify for commonwealth-supported places (the bulk of them) and pay somewhere between $5k-$9k a year - depending on the course, of course.

Medicine/dentistry/vet Science/law costs a lot, nursing/teaching/maths/science costs much less.

So a degree can cost as little as $15k in total.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:04 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Twinsdad all the best with your new life, hope it is all you hoped for and more.
My 16yr old is also the one who is now desperate to make the move with the 14yr old not so sure now. We should of done it a couple of years ago when we had the chance but at 13yrs of age my daughter was dead against it and we let the oportunity slip. What will you be doing workwise when you get over there? And have you secured PR visas, my worry now is the kids ages regarding school it doesn't seem to be as straight forward as it does here, making the last couple of years more stressful for them perhaps?? Anyway hope all goes well with your plans and well done for getting out there and giving it a shot
I'm a paramedic on a 457 visa - been told we'll be ecouraged to convert that to PR as soon as eligible. Hope you sort it out and come to a decision you'll all be happy with, good luck
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would reckon, any nurse who meets the criteria and is 48 and under will have very little problem getting p.r.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:43 pm
Banned

aliciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nicealiciaf is just really nice

Ooops I private messaged you Fiona I meant to post my message here.

I should start a thread about how to navigate through this site haha
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

FrankandKaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Fiona, if you don't do it now then forget about it. My eldest daughter is 15 and the main reason that I have to make the move now. I do not want to wait until she is 18 and can't be added to my visa.

I am 40 and my wife is 45. I don't think that we are too old for the move. On the financial side of things, I would be better off in Oz as my salary would be much higher there. I know the cost of living in greater in Oz, but I have looked into that. Sending my children to university would be much easier for me in Oz.

I believe that you would be giving your children a better chance at life in Oz. Go for it.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FrankandKaren
Fiona, if you don't do it now then forget about it. My eldest daughter is 15 and the main reason that I have to make the move now. I do not want to wait until she is 18 and can't be added to my visa.

I am 40 and my wife is 45. I don't think that we are too old for the move. On the financial side of things, I would be better off in Oz as my salary would be much higher there. I know the cost of living in greater in Oz, but I have looked into that. Sending my children to university would be much easier for me in Oz.

I believe that you would be giving your children a better chance at life in Oz. Go for it.
OMG, please read more stories on this forum and some on this bit of the forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Margaret3

The link takes me the main page. Why the drama "OMG"?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Has he said something which is blatantly incorrect
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Has he said something which is blatantly incorrect
I didn't think I had. My wife grew up in South Africa and has never really settled in the UK. Many of her friends have settled around Brisbane, so socially we will not be alone.

I work all over the world and moving does not bother me in the slightest. I can spend months in Africa and then to South America. I can adapt to new surroundings very easily. I am sure that Australia would not be my greatest cultural challenge.

It's mainly for my wife and children that I want to move. I know as a certainty, that I can offer my children more in Australia. As long as we are all together and we are happy, I don't care where I am. Australia is one of the better places to settle though. I like the climate of Brisbane.

Anyway, hello to all on the forum.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:21 am
Account Closed

I didn't think I had. My wife grew up in South Africa and has never really settled in the UK. Many of her friends have settled around Brisbane, so socially we will not be alone.

I work all over the world and moving does not bother me in the slightest. I can spend months in Africa and then to South America. I can adapt to new surroundings very easily. I am sure that Australia would not be my greatest cultural challenge.

It's mainly for my wife and children that I want to move. I know as a certainty, that I can offer my children more in Australia. As long as we are all together and we are happy, I don't care where I am. Australia is one of the better places to settle though. I like the climate of Brisbane.

Sounds like you'll do great. But everyone comes from differnet 'places', y'know emotionally, financially, as well as geographically, and as i said it depends on lots of things, so as the saying goes 'emigration is not for everyone'.

Goodluck

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 24th 2012 at 9:28 am.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, if you're well traveled, I'm sure you'll be better prepared for the move than many who post on here.
This site is great for specific info. and opinions both positive and neg. However, many don't seem to be able to see beyond their own experience, hence if it hasn't been great for them, then it can't work out well for anyone else either.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Mate, if you're well traveled, I'm sure you'll be better prepared for the move than many who post on here.
This site is great for specific info. and opinions both positive and neg. However, many don't seem to be able to see beyond their own experience, hence if it hasn't been great for them, then it can't work out well for anyone else either.

Exactly and I would DEFINITELY agree, your statement pertains to both sides of the coin.. I dont really love it or hate it here. But i do wish i had listened and read a bit more of the negatives before coming, however once your hell bent on doing it , nuffin will stop ya

p.s to the nurses, am well chuffed with the Victorian EBA outcome for the nurses, certainly more positive than is going on in the NHS just now.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Exactly and I would DEFINITELY agree, your statement pertains to both sides of the coin.. I dont really love it or hate it here. But i do wish i had listened and read a bit more of the negatives before coming, however once your hell bent on doing it , nuffin will stop ya

p.s to the nurses, am well chuffed with the Victorian EBA outcome for the nurses, certainly more positive than is going on in the NHS just now.
I get what you're saying. I have looked into everything and albeit Australia is not the answer to everyones prayers, it is a good option if you can improve your lot financially.

I also believe that you have to take the leap in life. Saying that, I do realise that having children means that you must provide stability. I don't have the luxury of chopping and changing. Having daughters aged 13 and 15, means that they must have stability due to the late stage in their schooling. I don't have the luxury of changing my mind once the deed is done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.