Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:00 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

But i am really beginning too think that perhaps we shouldn't go to Australia.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

And kiwichild, no matter what happens , we are not going to Tasmania ,

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

aww Margret today just seems a bad day, we all go through these thought pattern babe, try and remember why your going in the first place-your girls!

the money issue well, its not true ive reads lots of all amounts and lots higher but also a lot lot less.

42? well your not exactly extinct are you babe, its very stressful the whole process!

stop beating yourself up, i know easier said than done but think once its all over and done with these will be distant thoughts.

sending you lots of hugs down comp and karma babe

gee x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what to say

We had the same talk earlier today (he is getting nervous) and we certainly dont have loads to take with us. Im 25, he is 26 and we have a 4 year old. We have been looking at house prices and that has sent him in to a state!! I think we will both get jobs no problem and will try to get on as best we can.

Whats getting him is he started a new job last year on T5 at heathrow and got made up to supervisor and is in a longterm job with good wages and he is just scared of what will happen. Im more thinking that what will be will be and if we cant do it then we can come back again. Nothing lost nothing gained

Big hugs to you xx
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:10 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.

You have got some serious PMT luv. Get out the evening primrose oil and a bottle of wine! .
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

You've got to go for it! We are only here for a good time and not a long time! Your kids should be your main priority but you also have to have some quality of life and it ain't happening here is it?

Life is what you make it and lets face it we all LEARN, EARN and YEARN and you don't want to be looking back in your yearn phase wondering what if? I think you really need to take a break from this forum as it was getting me down with a lot of negativity being posted, however, we have decided to ignore the negativity and will be going for it and as a good solid family unit we know we will make it!

The weather is a major downer here and to think blizzards in late March and severely cold going into April is it any wonder we get depressed from time to time, the place is grey, damp and cold so chin up girl and look forward.

Onwards and upwards!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

think im in the same boat as you...but older... :scared:

have been deliberating for the last 6 months about going...and finally though s*** whats the worse that can happen...so im off..as soon as i sell the house)

will be over there with no job, no family, no friends, no cash..(well a bit i hope) but whats the worse that can happen..having to come back with no home, job etc..scary...and ill be older..!!!!

but then im scared of being here in 10 years thinking 'if only'

good luck and hope things work out for you.

regards

lolly.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:45 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Aaahhh, that is such a sad post. We too will be only going with £30000 and thats only if we dont pay all our debts before we go...We are a little younger than you 33 and 35 and have 2 teenagers but I think our children could slum it for a little while if need be!!! Joking aside - £30000 IS A LOT OF LOLLY. I know it feels like we are all starting again from the beginning and we know the first months are going to be a struggle but as long as your prepared to take any job to survive the first few months and save dipping too much into your money I am sure it will be fine. I am already planning to work in Coles as soon as I land .
I agree it is a worry that you are intentionally making yourself homeless with children but you are doing it to give them a better standard of life. And as depressing as it sounds (you said be brutal) in a couple of years you will be too old to get a visa. You have to take the chance while you can.
Karma sent M
Katie xx
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:46 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids and what are their thoughts about living in Oz?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:03 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Aww Margaret,
I'm 42 with 3 kids and go through the "What the **** am I doing" all the time I've even persuaded hubby to rent our house out instead of selling it 'cos I've got a funny feeling it may not work out. Not sure why, but I've got a large and very close family who all live in the same village as me, and a huge circle of friends who don't want us to go, and I know I'm gonna miss then like crazy. So now that we're not selling the house, we're not going with much money at all. Not sure how we'll manage but we're going to give it a go because we don't want the "what if's".
We've got no bones about coming back if it doesn't work out, but we've been given a chance to do something different with our lives. How many people can say that eh?
Give it a go hun. What have you got to lose? It may be the best thing you've ever done.
Julie. x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:05 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you should go You would be giving your girls an opportunity of a life time....and so what if you dont have a flashy car.......and so what if you don't have a flashy house......and so what if you don't holiday in Bali......All that matters is that you love each other, you work hard and enjoy your time together

K sent ....stay positive
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:10 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Well Margaret you are certainly not alone.

In fact we go through this at least once a week.

I am 41, Steve is 43, we are both a couple (conservative estimate) of stone overweight. Steve has been looking at his particular field of expertise over in Perth and it does seem a bit thin on the ground. Here he does IT security and is a Senior Consultant with a large global company on very good wages, well very good compared to what he was paid while he was in the army.
We have 3 kids aged 15, 13 and 10 so they are going to be dependant on us for quite a while.

We do have a nice lifestyle now which we haven't had before, while we don't go abroad every year we do have a caravan that we go away in 2 or 3 times a year plus a few weekends. We are able to pay all bills and have a bit left over for luxuries these days, and after many many years struggling it is good.

We know that when (if) we get to Oz I am going to have to go back to work and we know we are going to struggle.

BUT

We also know that the lifestyle out there, the laid back attitude, the proximity of the coast, the better weather and the opportunities that we are giving our kids more than outweighs what we are giving up.

Money isn't everything, but quality of life is. Here Steve works 12 hour days and quite often has work to do on evenings and weekends. By the time he gets home and we eat it is almost time for bed.

So Margaret we are going to give it our best shot, and if it doesn't work out in a couple or 3 years we are going to take citizenship so the kids can come and go as they please, come back to UK where Steve will go into partnership with a friend and see if we can start again here.

They say you only regret the things you don't do, not the things you do, you only learn from them!

GO FOR IT Margaret, it is only natural to be scared, if you weren't that would be rather foolish I think.

Sorry for going on

Shirley x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Margaret ... I'm not taking huge amounts of dosh either, but if you don't go, you'll always wonder what might have been ..... And if it doesn't work out for you, at least you'll have tried.
Just by having more sunlight in their lives, your children will be at an advantage.

Look at the example you're setting your kids ... you're TRYING something new. It's an adventure. None of us here really know the outcome of what we're doing... stuff will happen to some of us that no-one ever expected, but at least we're trying.

Don't have any regrets.

Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:16 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

tut tut turn that frown upside down and give it a go... you will say to yourself the rest of your life "mmmm I wonder what we would be doing right now if we moved to aussie".. you only live once... fit as much weird, rare and fun things into it as you can.. only my advice
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

we are 38 and 39 with 4 kids and no cash (about £6k - but hope to raise a little more before we go)

I think 'leaving' all my pack rat stuff behind and starting anew will be quite liberating... we are doing it for the kids so they can have a better life (and for Ian who dreads the cold winters here)

We have never had a family holiday other than to North Norfolk in a caravan and never have any money to spare, we recycle cars, running vehicles others have cast off in horror. I went to the hairdressers twice last year and have had one new pair of shoes in the last 2 yrs (the kids get all the new clothes/shoes) BUT WE ARE HAPPY and we will be happy here or in Australia... If you are happy now then chances are you will be equally or more happy there...

I think those are cold feet that you have
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:11 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Hi Margaret, I'm sure everyone goes throught this at some stage, just try to remember why you started all this in the first place. We too will be lucky if we have £30,000 to go with, it's what you make of it when you get there. Things happen for a reason, and I'm sure you will be grand when you get there. Chin up mrs!
Clairex
Going to the SECC tomorrow will sort your head out!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.