Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it too late for me?

Is it too late for me?

Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it too late for me?

Ok this is a hyperthetical as we haven't quite got our visa's yet.

If we were to stay in this country it is something I would be looking into starting asap.

I've been interested in Physiotherapy for the last 8 and a half years but for various personal reasons and family commitments it's never been the right time to go back and study for this?

So for those of you that don't know I'm married with 3 very cute kids (yes i'm biast) aged 9,7 and 2.

We should be heading for Melbourne (doubt it will be end of the year probably early next year?).
Will it be possible for me to study towards becoming a Physiotherapist? Any advice on the courses, time it will take, work prospects and earnign capacity would be great.

Jen
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it too late for me?

Hi Jen - to become a physiotherapist you would need to do a Uni degree - min 3 years.
A course to be a physio assistant would prob be a year or on the job training.
Rates of pay similar to nurses for a qualified physio.
This info is for the Uk but I imagine would be the same for Australia.
It's never too late to embark on a new career provided you can afford to do so.
I see lots of student nurses coming through now in their 30's ,40's and even 50's.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Jen - to become a physiotherapist you would need to do a Uni degree - min 3 years.
I see lots of student nurses coming through now in their 30's ,40's and even 50's.
Thats a point if anyone has any ideas on uni course prices that'd be great.

Thanks kapri. Obviously I want to get the kids settled in etc but it'd be nice to think that once Sean starts school properly I can be doing a job that interests me too
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

hi kapri,

do you know what qualifications would you need to do nursing or midwifery? something i always wanted to do and would like to do it maybe when i get to oz
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:34 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camacazi
hi kapri,

do you know what qualifications would you need to do nursing or midwifery? something i always wanted to do and would like to do it maybe when i get to oz
Hi camacazi

Yes - you would be required to have a good basic education with GCSE Maths and English. They prefer you to have A levels or Btec but will sometimes waive this for mature students (Over 25) if you have life experience.
If you don't have the required qualifications then most colleges offer access to nursing/ healthcare courses (one year).
Nurse training involves academic work as well as practical work experience but if you are enthusiastic you will be fine as you will get lots of help from qualified nurses and your fellow students. Nursing is a very social profession!
If you are interested then go for it
It's good to have a bit of life experience behind you when you are nursing. It helps you connect with people.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Hi camacazi

Yes - you would be required to have a good basic education with GCSE Maths and English. They prefer you to have A levels or Btec but will sometimes waive this for mature students (Over 25) if you have life experience.
If you don't have the required qualifications then most colleges offer access to nursing/ healthcare courses (one year).
Nurse training involves academic work as well as practical work experience but if you are enthusiastic you will be fine as you will get lots of help from qualified nurses and your fellow students. Nursing is a very social profession!
If you are interested then go for it
It's good to have a bit of life experience behind you when you are nursing. It helps you connect with people.
thanks kapri

hopefully if oh gets a good job & money isn't to much of a problem i think i might do it.
do you have to do nursing before midwifery or can you go straight to midwifery?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:24 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by camacazi
thanks kapri

hopefully if oh gets a good job & money isn't to much of a problem i think i might do it.
do you have to do nursing before midwifery or can you go straight to midwifery?
You have to train as a nurse first then do midwifery once qualified