Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too hot in Brisbane

Too hot in Brisbane

Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too hot in Brisbane

Hi
We have rels in both Melbourne and Brisbane and are weighing up pros and cons. My question to those Brits that have done it or doing it, is would a fair skinned English northerner acclimatise to the summer heat of some where like Brisbane eventually? I am not a great one for soaking up the sun and am happier covered up than laying on the beach cooking.
Thanks. Any response would be helpful.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot in Brisbane

Pete39, I don't like heat either. If climate is a factor (and it was for us), choose Melbourne.

I find even Sydney gets uncomfortably hot for me.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete39
Hi
We have rels in both Melbourne and Brisbane and are weighing up pros and cons. My question to those Brits that have done it or doing it, is would a fair skinned English northerner acclimatise to the summer heat of some where like Brisbane eventually? I am not a great one for soaking up the sun and am happier covered up than laying on the beach cooking.
The question you need to be asking yourself is do you really want to emigrate to one of the hottest countries on the planet if you don't like/struggle with hot weather?

The number of poms (especially on here) who emigrate here and then complain about the heat is mind-blowing
Old Jan 29th 2017, 3:11 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, climate-wise this would be the simplest of decisions for me: Brisbane all the way.

Melbourne is way too cold during the wintery months, and can get way too hot during the summer months. Even looking at the forecast is sometimes funny because one day can be too hot and the next too cold, like 41C and then the next day a slump to 19C. Talk about being SOL.

The Gold Coast probably has the best climate I have come across as both the winters and summers are milder, so win-win situation. During the coldest month (July) the average high is 21.1C , whereas during the hottest month (Jan) the average is 28.7C. Can't go wrong here!

I have yet to find a similar place in terms of climate, even on a global scale.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The question you need to be asking yourself is do you really want to emigrate to one of the hottest countries on the planet if you don't like/struggle with hot weather?

The number of poms (especially on here) who emigrate here and then complain about the heat is mind-blowing
Oy oy oy....my really good friend use to whinge like mad at even the sign of warm weather returning after winter and she is a dinky dye Aussie.... lol....seriously though to the OP my husband (also from Northern England) is very fair skinned and although he enjoys the nice warm weather but does not enjoy "sunbaking" one of the reasons is he burns really easily so he just always wore a hat, slapped 40+ and generally was a lot more careful (we all were to be fair as we were aware of the high percentage Australia has for skin cancer) if it were us again and we did not want a lot of hot sunny days then Melbourne on the mainland and for cooler weather then Tasmania. Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2017, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Out of those two choices it would be Melbourne. Its not the heat that bothers me, its the humidity.

And besides, Brisbane is a dump. So is the Gold Coast.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Hi Pete.

I'm a fellow (very) fair skinned English Northerner who goes red and burns at the faintest glimpse of sun through a window.

When t'other half was offered a job in Brisbane, dealing with the weather was obviously of huge concern.

We left the UK on a flipping cold, snow on the ground, January day and arrived in Brisbane in 40C heat. I thought I'd died en route and ended up in hell.

However. I soon acclimated - my view was, if I can cope with this heat now, in the height of summer, I can probably cope with any of it. January and the first half of February were brutal... but then the rest of the year was positively delightful. We're not beach people, but sometimes you would even find us there, under a large shade, slathered in high SPF suncream with a hat and a t-shirt on

So yes, summer in Brisbane (we were just south of the Sunshine coast) can be horrendous, but the rest of the year more than made up for it (for us, anyway)

We did 2 years in Queensland before Mr Dreamy's job took him to NSW but I'd move back to Bribie in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
However. I soon acclimated - my view was, if I can cope with this heat now, in the height of summer, I can probably cope with any of it. January and the first half of February were brutal... but then the rest of the year was positively delightful. We're not beach people, but sometimes you would even find us there, under a large shade, slathered in high SPF suncream with a hat and a t-shirt on

So yes, summer in Brisbane (we were just south of the Sunshine coast) can be horrendous, but the rest of the year more than made up for it (for us, anyway)

We did 2 years in Queensland before Mr Dreamy's job took him to NSW but I'd move back to Bribie in a heartbeat.
Hi Dreamy,
Thanks for this. Good to hear. That was my thought really - would I eventually acclimatise and get used to the weather. Only ever lived in the Uk so how are you to know.
Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by astera
Jeez, climate-wise this would be the simplest of decisions for me: Brisbane all the way.

Melbourne is way too cold during the wintery months, and can get way too hot during the summer months. Even looking at the forecast is sometimes funny because one day can be too hot and the next too cold, like 41C and then the next day a slump to 19C. Talk about being SOL.

The Gold Coast probably has the best climate I have come across as both the winters and summers are milder, so win-win situation. During the coldest month (July) the average high is 21.1C , whereas during the hottest month (Jan) the average is 28.7C. Can't go wrong here!

I have yet to find a similar place in terms of climate, even on a global scale.
Thanks Astora for your reply. I recently spent a little time in Melbourne during June and I was amazed just how cold it was!!! I was not expecting it. I slept pretty much fully clothed and under 4 duvets. It must be something to do with the poorly insulated house I stayed in - much like camping outside as if there were no walls or ceiling in the room. Also the wind on one of the day's nearly pushed me over. Took me by surprise as I say.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Brisbane for 5 years and didn't find it that bad. To ensure sanity though the one thing you really need is air conditioning in the bedroom. A pool really does work in Brisbane too!

Humidity is high first thing in the morning and if you have the sun beating down on you and a 15 minute walk e.g. to the train or bus it can be pretty unpleasant...if you drive, no problems. Or cycle to work and shower there.

Personally I find the humidity worse in Sydney in summer.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Amazulu. Relax.

There are places here where it gets cold. I scrape ice of my windshield most mornings in winter.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

As others like Astera have already said, Brisbane has very mild weather most of the year. I prefer it over anywhere else in Australia. And as bcworld has said, airconditioning in the bedroom at night is pretty much a necessity in summer as it's sometimes too humid to sleep comfortably for most people.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 1:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Unless you're one of the rare people who love to either burn or freeze, I don't think you get used to any weather extremes. You learn, you adapt, you cope, wherever you are. Central heating, air conditioning, pools, cold washcloth on your head, thermals, cold shower etc etc.

Good luck with your move, wherever you choose
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Amazulu. Relax.

There are places here where it gets cold. I scrape ice of my windshield most mornings in winter.
Why are you telling me to relax?

Parts of Australia can get pretty cold - it does here in Perth that's for sure - but overall is one of the hottest places in the world. If you don't like heat, emigrate to Canada instead
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can probably guarantee that everyone I know never sunbakes anywhere. May walk/run/swim but sit down just to sweat and burn, no.

Personally I find Brisbane too humid but I'm used to sea breezes and they make a big difference. Melbourne's nice but I wouldn't want to live there. Vaguely irritated that someone who hasn't seen where I live thinks it's a dump but never mind I love it and that is all that matters . That's the thing about people, they all have different wants and needs and find their pleasures in different things and places. No one's wrong, I know I'm not.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 30th 2017 at 4:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.