Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Originally Posted by keel
What happens if 15,000 boat people arrived?
It means that 15,000 UN recognised refugees with no money to buy passage are not allowed to come here.

I don't know what to call those other people who think that those refugees with money should be better treated than those with nothing.

But according to some, I am just your average bigoted redneck, because I believe in helping those with nothing, and letting those with money sort themselves out.

Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

I think that if the politicians actually told the truth about immigration and assylum there would be no outcry.

What we need is facts. I've said this before on this forum but does anybody know for real if these stories of refugees and all the handouts?

There must be stome government statistics about how many (including family reunion) refugees come each year and what it costs in benifits, interpreters etc. That is if they are a burden. It may be that they actually pay more in taxes than we think.

Keel
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

jamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant future

Jamo. Why is it that anyone that disagrees with you is a redneck, Bigot or someone not capable of understanding your arguements?

I agree that some people just don't want "more coons" in their area. But I think the majority of people have actually thought long and hard and come to a different conclusion to you. I can't imagine that your any brighter than the average poster on here so how come were morons and your not?

Please refrain from name calling those with a different point of view as you.

Keel
Wow, that's a bit OTT. Where have I called anyone on here a name? and where have I said that anyone who disagrees with me is a redneck, bigot or someone not capable of anything!?

All I've done is repeatedly said that politicians are cynically using the boat people argument to gain votes by whipping up a xenophobia that sits not far beneath the surface in many voters.

My link to the banjo was a bit of fun in response to a comment that is clearly narrow minded. Lighten up. Saying you can stop terrorism by stop boat people is pretty bad form, surely you'd agree with that. Rather than attack it I put some humour to it.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

jamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It means that 15,000 UN recognised refugees with no money to buy passage are not allowed to come here.

I don't know what to call those other people who think that those refugees with money should be better treated than those with nothing.

But according to some, I am just your average bigoted redneck, because I believe in helping those with nothing, and letting those with money sort themselves out.
ABC, and others... for the last time...

I am not disagreeing with the proposed policies, they are required. There is no question that something needs to be done to make the system fair. I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I am disagreeing with the way that the plight of genuine refugees (paying, devious or non-paying) is used to whip up votes in a way that just creates hatred and mistrust of them. I can't repeat that any more times.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jamo123;8733447]I find some of the comments in here deeply disturbing. I try and defend the stereotype of the Aussie bigot and ill informed closet racist but after reading alot of this, I can't be bothered anymore. It's true - there is a deep narrow minded vein of racial bigotry in this country and it's ugly.

When I saw that laughable TV ad by Tony Abbott on which states his main mission in government is to 'Stop the boats', who do you think he's trying to appeal to? Could it be the underlying redneck in many here?

The 'Boats' account for less than 1% of all illegal immigrants - it's just a jingoistic, scaremongering nonsense. Personally I'd get the boat people straight into jobs because christ, they clearly want it and are clearly prepared to work hard and risk their life to get it.

And whilst you're all hanging out your ute windows screaming about 'Bloody immigrants', think about where you and your forefathers came from; or is that too complex a thought process?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Jamo

But I think someones been hijacking your user name and posting stuff like the above in your name. If I were you I'd change your password.

Keel
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=keel;8734414]
Originally Posted by jamo123
I find some of the comments in here deeply disturbing. I try and defend the stereotype of the Aussie bigot and ill informed closet racist but after reading alot of this, I can't be bothered anymore. It's true - there is a deep narrow minded vein of racial bigotry in this country and it's ugly.

When I saw that laughable TV ad by Tony Abbott on which states his main mission in government is to 'Stop the boats', who do you think he's trying to appeal to? Could it be the underlying redneck in many here?

The 'Boats' account for less than 1% of all illegal immigrants - it's just a jingoistic, scaremongering nonsense. Personally I'd get the boat people straight into jobs because christ, they clearly want it and are clearly prepared to work hard and risk their life to get it.

And whilst you're all hanging out your ute windows screaming about 'Bloody immigrants', think about where you and your forefathers came from; or is that too complex a thought process?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Jamo

But I think someones been hijacking your user name and posting stuff like the above in your name. If I were you I'd change your password.

Keel
I stand by those comments, that is my point of view.

I am NOT calling people in here names as you said, if they vote for Abbots policy because they are swayed by the 'stop the boats' slogan and relate it to terrorism and a fear of being overrun then sure, they fall into the above. Some of the earlier comments on here made me realise that that vein of racism exists, despite the fact I've defended it in the past to friends and family who have visited and witnessed it repeatedly.

But I've not called anyone on here any names because they've disagreed with me. I've agreed where I agree and disagreed where not.

Last edited by jamo123; Jul 28th 2010 at 11:36 am.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Jamo

I've reread your posts and I was mixing you up with some other anti Bigot who was abusive.

I can exactly see you point about numbers and policies etc. But a lot on this forum think it's a thin wedge and we have to be on our toes.

And yes it is a political football.

Keel
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Jamo

I've reread your posts and I was mixing you up with some other anti Bigot who was abusive.

I can exactly see you point about numbers and policies etc. But a lot on this forum think it's a thin wedge and we have to be on our toes.

Keel
No worries, I did rather come in on the front foot so perhaps a more thoughtful introduction to my views is in order for next time :-)
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Jamo

Keel
Political football which appears to inflame the passions in certain folks and not only in Australia. Meanwhile more serious issues are ignored like the housing ripoff,the banks and in the case of Australia selling their mines and minerals for a poor return.