Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tomtom, Navman,Garmin, which is the best...

Tomtom, Navman,Garmin, which is the best...

Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tomtom, Navman,Garmin, which is the best...

yesterday I went to shop for one, came back totally confuse, the latest Tomtom they had was $400 more expensive, so I said why should pay $400 more for that, he said because it doesnt only tell you turn left or right it tells you the street names as well.
So I went to another shop they sold Navman F10, I said which one is better he said he use Garmin, that's better one he doesnt know much about Navman or Tomtom, so just to clarify my understanding of SatNav would it make much different which one I should go for.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:58 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tomtom, Navman,Garmin, which is the best...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
yesterday I went to shop for one, came back totally confuse, the latest Tomtom they had was $400 more expensive, so I said why should pay $400 more for that, he said because it doesnt only tell you turn left or right it tells you the street names as well.
So I went to another shop they sold Navman F10, I said which one is better he said he use Garmin, that's better one he doesnt know much about Navman or Tomtom, so just to clarify my understanding of SatNav would it make much different which one I should go for.

Cant comment on other makes, we bought the tom tom 910.

We can download for about 10 bucks, John Cleese to do the street by street directions.. lol.

Works well, and although my mates have Navman's..
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just get the cheapest, they all do the same job.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just get the cheapest, they all do the same job.
I ask the guy, which he was as useless as me, does it have the recent map in it, he said he didnt know. ,
I know we are going to need it for that bloody long drive, as time is really limited I dont want us to get lost.
So yet another trip to the shop tomorrow, leave hubby with the packers.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:12 am
Stuart and Carolann

stu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant future

I paid $399 for a Tomtom One and think it is great. But it depends what extra features you want.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I ask the guy, which he was as useless as me, does it have the recent map in it, he said he didnt know. ,
I know we are going to need it for that bloody long drive, as time is really limited I dont want us to get lost.
So yet another trip to the shop tomorrow, leave hubby with the packers.

It should have a recent map in. We bought a NavMan and it came with a free update (which we haven't used yet) as it's still more or less in date (there's only the new road between Mawson Lakes and Main North Road that isn't on it).
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont get the cheapest as not all work the same way, some dont use true gps

I got a tom tom one for around $400 and its been great, real easy to use, it gets software updates when plugged into the computer and I have put a few voices on it like one of the guys from Phoenix Nights show.

If you go with tom tom one you get a good name brand.

Its been great for getting around perth, a real life saver
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Tomtom 710 and find it really good. It was a birthday pressie though and I have no idea if it's better or worse than any of the others.

Hope that helps
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is updated annually and only costs $12.99
It has a really sexy voice giving me directions.
She's called the wife.

Trouble is to get acurate directions I always have to point the car up the page.

Erm.....how much was that TomTom ?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Mine is updated annually and only costs $12.99
It has a really sexy voice giving me directions.
She's called the wife.

Trouble is to get acurate directions I always have to point the car up the page.

Erm.....how much was that TomTom ?

were your ears burning last night mate?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:06 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I have two identical Navmans (Won one in a comp!) and have had quite a lot of useless directions from both, as well as hopelessly inaccurate mapping in one or two areas. (I think Sensis do the mapping for them).

I Emailed TomTom a couple of years ago asking why they didn't sell in Oz, and they replied that as far as they were concerned the Australian maps weren't very good. Presumably they are now happy with the ones they buy. From what I have read I would probably go for TomTom if I started again.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
were your ears burning last night mate?
Oh shite.
How many days have I got to leave the country ?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wol
FWIW I have two identical Navmans (Won one in a comp!) and have had quite a lot of useless directions from both, as well as hopelessly inaccurate mapping in one or two areas. (I think Sensis do the mapping for them).

I Emailed TomTom a couple of years ago asking why they didn't sell in Oz, and they replied that as far as they were concerned the Australian maps weren't very good. Presumably they are now happy with the ones they buy. From what I have read I would probably go for TomTom if I started again.

My mate has a navman.. and swears by it. i must admit, for popping it off the cradle and in your handbag ( ladies that is ) the navman is more handbag friendly...

The tom tom, IMHO gives accurate directions, but does tend to have a more daylight affected screen.

Perhaps thats our cars, a ute and a 4by ... also the docking cradle is a tad crap, and the overly top heavy unit can begin to lean forward after a time..

Still wouldnt swap it tho
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

We got the TomTom one with the extra big screen, it's been great so far, extremely accurate and the screen bit fits in my handbag too The only thing I find is that sometimes when you turn it on it can't find the signal straight away and we have had to start moving and then turn it off and back on to get it to pick up.