Tom Tom Aussie Maps any good?

Wikiposts

Tom Tom Aussie Maps any good?

Old Oct 20th 2007, 6:12 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tom Tom Aussie Maps any good?

On various Sat Nav forums there were many saying the old Aussie TomTom maps weren't particularly good. In around August this year Tom Tom released a new map using a different provider which they say fixes the problems with the old one and includes more roads.

We're off to Perth in late December and thought it worthwhile taking our TomTom and buying the Aussie map. Any of you guys used the new maps in the Perth area and have any opinions on it?

Don't want to spend $200 if its rubbish

Thanks !!

Di, Matt, Harrison.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 7:00 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tom Tom Aussie Maps any good?

Originally Posted by DMH
On various Sat Nav forums there were many saying the old Aussie TomTom maps weren't particularly good. In around August this year Tom Tom released a new map using a different provider which they say fixes the problems with the old one and includes more roads.

We're off to Perth in late December and thought it worthwhile taking our TomTom and buying the Aussie map. Any of you guys used the new maps in the Perth area and have any opinions on it?

Don't want to spend $200 if its rubbish

Thanks !!

Di, Matt, Harrison.
Hi Mate , I aint in Perth,..

But do own a Tom Tom... with the voice street directions and turns...

Shes a little beauty, most annoying feature has to be glare ( even though we have a shade for it ) and the docking of the unit.

Anyway, the biggest issue in Australia, with any GPS navigation system, is the fact new streets are added daily, in droves... so its hard to keep up with new street names etc even new suburbs at times...

I must admit, the tom tom, is nigh on dead balls accurate with logistical planning, and the mp3 tom tom we have is bloody good.

In and around Brisbane, she has never let me down, but as for perth cant help sorry. We do hook it up via laptop, and will undoubtedly need to update aussie maps pretty soon, i am not sure how often they offer updates, possibly only once a year,...

Id bring your tom tom, and just get the aussie maps module for her.. and you will be right
Old Oct 20th 2007, 7:34 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

Thanks, that helps.

We'll bring it along and get the map

Cheers
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:13 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMH
Thanks, that helps.

We'll bring it along and get the map

Cheers

Noooo Problemo !!

Hardly Normals sell all the accessories also.. so if you need a spare cradle docking thingymajig.. for 2nd car.. they are fairly inexpensive..

I actually, rigged my tom tom, and a marine cd stereo up to my polaris..

Wife said im a ****** nutcase..
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:32 pm
Stuart and Carolann

stu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant future

Have just used my Tom Tom One on the Gold Coast this weekend and can't praise it enough. Fantastic piece of kit.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Can you buy aussie maps in the uk for the tom tom,i dont have one but have been thinking of getting one,i have a sat nav novogo which is a bit outdated now and not got the 7 digit post codes like most these days so will probably sell this one and get a tom tom,i take it they are the best out there.
What about if i was in oz is there sat navs there that maybe are better to get as could get one once there,but really probably better deals to be had in the uk.
Anyone know any good deals on these and where.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:41 am
DMH
Forum Regular

Yes you can buy them from the UK. You get to download the map direct from the tomtom website. You just download it to your card (you get this with your device).

1. Go to : http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php
2. Choose your device (for example, "Go 300")
3. Then choose the map you want. I.e. Australia, and go from there
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by DMH
Yes you can buy them from the UK. You get to download the map direct from the tomtom website. You just download it to your card (you get this with your device).

1. Go to : http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php
2. Choose your device (for example, "Go 300")
3. Then choose the map you want. I.e. Australia, and go from there
so whats a good tom tom and also a fair price or one that maybe on offer somewhere,i would use this from time to time in the uk but probably more once in oz
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brian.w
so whats a good tom tom and also a fair price or one that maybe on offer somewhere,i would use this from time to time in the uk but probably more once in oz
We have the Tom Tom 910..

You will deffo use it in OZ !!!!

Beats grasping a refedex ( UBD ) in one hand and steering with the other
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Try www.Totalpda.com

I bought a refurbished 910 from them for £200 and it runs perfect.

Bobby
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
Try www.Totalpda.com

I bought a refurbished 910 from them for £200 and it runs perfect.

Bobby
Whats the newest/most recent one to older models?as have no idea if i would be getting a older one.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Whats the newest/most recent one to older models?as have no idea if i would be getting a older one.
The 910 is a new model, wide screen, large display, Bluetooth phone connection with hands free calling, Ipod connection and it comes with European and USA maps preloaded. It also has a hard drive for storing MP3s or more maps, 12gb I think.

I have had mine now for 3 months and have been to USA and now have settled in OZ and it works great.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
The 910 is a new model, wide screen, large display, Bluetooth phone connection with hands free calling, Ipod connection and it comes with European and USA maps preloaded. It also has a hard drive for storing MP3s or more maps, 12gb I think.

I have had mine now for 3 months and have been to USA and now have settled in OZ and it works great.

Its a good GPS huh.. had ours about 6 months. only gripe is the cradle, its a bit of a crap design, and the wight of the tom tom, lends itself to slipping down at funny angles.
Have to position it so the base of tome tom is on my dash mat
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Its a good GPS huh.. had ours about 6 months. only gripe is the cradle, its a bit of a crap design, and the wight of the tom tom, lends itself to slipping down at funny angles.
Have to position it so the base of tome tom is on my dash mat
Yes mine was like that at first too, but I realized after I read the instructions that the cradle suction cup has two clicks when you turn it. The second turn to click is a bit stiff but you are able to line up the marks. Now I just stick it on the window, turn the dial to the first click, then adjust the viewing angle and then turn to the second click and it locks solid.

If you have an older version without the second click on the dial you can purchase a newer type cradle which will prevent it drooping.

Bobby
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Is this sat nav any good in oz and would it be in par with the tom tom,its on a deal in the uk and wondered if you can get oz maps for it also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.