Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

told the parents

told the parents

Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default told the parents

- they took it well - Dad was great as usual - go for it, don't blame you, wish we had had the chance years ago - what a dad.
as for mum, well - awkward silence, for ages, then "hmmmmmm, well - why - where will you live, hmmmmmmmmmm lots of sideways glances at my two boys, hmmmmmmm" End of topic. I actually thought she was going to cry, but hopefully she'll get used to the idea, I hope.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice
Default Re: told the parents

Originally Posted by DebraH
- they took it well - Dad was great as usual - go for it, don't blame you, wish we had had the chance years ago - what a dad.
as for mum, well - awkward silence, for ages, then "hmmmmmm, well - why - where will you live, hmmmmmmmmmm lots of sideways glances at my two boys, hmmmmmmm" End of topic. I actually thought she was going to cry, but hopefully she'll get used to the idea, I hope.
Hi Debra,

Its very hard isn't it, but you must do what you think is best for you and your kids. Point out the positive things like them coming over on holiday etc etc and hopefully your Mum will come round to the idea.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Know the feeling, Debra. Don't know what stage you're at, but we got our visas a couple of weeks ago and told my parents when the whole process first started - almost two years ago now. Mam wasn't too happy then, but then when I told her the visas were finally granted, you would think I had just told her I had two weeks to live - crying about losing her only daughter, etc. My Mam tends to be a "glass half empty than half full" type of person and at the moment she can't see any positive side to it. Have to say though, she's a bit better this week than she was last week. Can't imagine what she's going to be like when we do actually leave - I really dread that. Still feel we're doing the right thing though. Best of luck. Michelle
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:40 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Nice one Deb, hope your Mum gets her head around it all, sure she will.

Rich
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Hi Debra,
will you come and tell mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wife parents taking it really well,as supportive as they can be.
Mine buried heads in the sand and dont want to know.
TASK....
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:59 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Hi, when I told my mum we were thinking of emmigrating she didn't say anything, not a word, she just stopped talking, it took her a week to come and see us and since she has been the best gran ever to the kids - a wee guilt trip I think and she keeps saying things like I don't know how you'll cope without me and things like that, like it's not hard enough eh!!! but I still havent actually told her we have started the whole applying for our visas thing - she'll probably be silent forever then!!! My husbands family on the other hand couldn't be happier for us, why do some parents make it so hard?!? Claire
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

Hope it comes out in the wash, my Mum left my sister and I when I was 9 and my Sister was 12, ever since then its been the odd card at Xmas and birthdays. so I thought I would return the favor and not tell her, and let the cards get returned as address unknown. My Fathers the same so sod them both.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:19 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done for getting that part out of the way , hope fully your mum will get supportive , it shows she cares that she is upset by it .
All of our family are ok with us going but know they will miss us, as we them .
Starting to get puppy dog eyes from my mum
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Well done for getting that part out of the way , hope fully your mum will get supportive , it shows she cares that she is upset by it .
All of our family are ok with us going but know they will miss us, as we them .
Starting to get puppy dog eyes from my mum
Yeah, I know she cares and lets face it I'm not the only child and she has seven other grandchildren to fuss around. After all she is the one who taught me be to independent - I had to get on with things when I was little, seeing as I'm the eldest and have four younger siblings. It was still hard though, but at least it's been done. the in-laws are being strange about it - haven't said a word not even to BIL or SIL - either they are deaf or just don't want to believe it.

We have been accepted by WA and are now waiting to hear from DIMA - a formality according to our agent, I suppose then it's medicals and I can't feel that it is all in the bag until we have had those done (hopefully everything will be ok with them - I'm dreading those actually,what do they do? as I'm very short-sighted -wear contacts - do they do eye test?

So good luck if you haven't told your parents yet - I'm glad we have, now I can plan for a very large xmas dinner - 12 adults, 2 teenagers, 6 kids and 1 toddler. Now what size turkey shall I get (if there's going to be any around"
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:53 pm

Yeah, I know she cares and lets face it I'm not the only child and she has seven other grandchildren to fuss around. After all she is the one who taught me be to independent - I had to get on with things when I was little, seeing as I'm the eldest and have four younger siblings. It was still hard though, but at least it's been done. the in-laws are being strange about it - haven't said a word not even to BIL or SIL - either they are deaf or just don't want to believe it.

We have been accepted by WA and are now waiting to hear from DIMA - a formality according to our agent, I suppose then it's medicals and I can't feel that it is all in the bag until we have had those done (hopefully everything will be ok with them - I'm dreading those actually,what do they do? as I'm very short-sighted -wear contacts - do they do eye test?

So good luck if you haven't told your parents yet - I'm glad we have, now I can plan for a very large xmas dinner - 12 adults, 2 teenagers, 6 kids and 1 toddler. Now what size turkey shall I get (if there's going to be any around"
The meds are very basic do a search on here its asked about all the time .

I told my parents and in laws etc right from the start .
Mine have lived in Aus b4 , its there fault i got hooked on the place
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perthforme
The meds are very basic do a search on here its asked about all the time .

I told my parents and in laws etc right from the start .
Mine have lived in Aus b4 , its there fault i got hooked on the place
will do

the parents knew we were thinking about going, they probably thought that we weren't serious about going. sorry mum
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

My parents are the same . The hysteria that surrounded me telling them has subsided but now it's never mentioned. It's almost as if they think, if they don't talk about it, we'll forget we ever said it!! They've always been obsessively close to my 2 girls but now they're spending every minute possible with them, it's almost suffocating. But if it's their way of coping, I'm not going to interfere with it. We should be in Perth in 4-6 months so it's not too long to cope with it. I feel desperately guilty, but I'm afraid the pull of the adventure is just too great.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
My parents are the same . The hysteria that surrounded me telling them has subsided but now it's never mentioned. It's almost as if they think, if they don't talk about it, we'll forget we ever said it!! They've always been obsessively close to my 2 girls but now they're spending every minute possible with them, it's almost suffocating. But if it's their way of coping, I'm not going to interfere with it. We should be in Perth in 4-6 months so it's not too long to cope with it. I feel desperately guilty, but I'm afraid the pull of the adventure is just too great.
You can't feel guilty to much as everyone must make their own path in life .
Easier said than done ( not feeling guilty that is )
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum just said "what are you going there for?" even though she knew it was something I had always wanted to do. She then went on to say that she would never come and see us............that is her choice. Anyway we have been here 9 months now and she is thinking of making the trip.
I know she misses us but she was also bothered about who would take her shopping. She too is a half cup empty person and also wants her children to lead their lives how she thinks they should, it doesn't seem to matter what we want out of life.
I think it is best to tell them sooner rather than later, and good luck to those with that task still to do.
Amanda
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi, when I told my mum we were thinking of emmigrating she didn't say anything, not a word, she just stopped talking, it took her a week to come and see us and since she has been the best gran ever to the kids - a wee guilt trip I think and she keeps saying things like I don't know how you'll cope without me and things like that, like it's not hard enough eh!!! but I still havent actually told her we have started the whole applying for our visas thing - she'll probably be silent forever then!!! My husbands family on the other hand couldn't be happier for us, why do some parents make it so hard?!? Claire
claire they make it hard because they love you.i have a daughter.yes she is only eight but i think that i would be devastated if she ever emigrated,yet i am doing it to my parents(they seem fine btw)i sometimes still get a lump in my throat just sending her to school(i know v.sad) just reassure your mum that you still love her and that you are trying to do the best for your family.x irishbloo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.