Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Told my M-I-L. Karma needed

Told my M-I-L. Karma needed

Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:22 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Told my M-I-L. Karma needed

I told my mother in law tonight that we are emigrating and she cried.
She seems to think I've pressured OH into going and has now asked him to go round and see her.
I can't believe how bad I feel
The worst is still to come. I'm telling my own folks at the weekend.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:23 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told my M-I-L. Karma needed

Originally Posted by Kapri
She seems to think I've pressured OH into going and has now asked him to go round and see her.
It's the hardest part telling them......and then of course leaving them.

Good luck hun...Karma sent
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:30 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Karma sent - hope your folks don't take it too badly.

Rebecca
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys. How did your own parents react?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I told mine when we first thought of it 4 years ago.

They didn't believe it would happen, although constant talking about it may have had an impact.

Ive only got my Dad now and he is getting more upset as he knows the visa could come any time.

But on the whole, we haven't had any problems. Might have been different if children had been involved.

I did have a wavering moment when I was in Cyprus last year. My nephew who lives there, he is 14, said to my sister 'Mum, do you think I will ever see Aunty Samantha again when she goes?'

He kept hugging me and I felt quite choked actually and that really brought it home to me how important family are.

Although, I also think by moving to Australia to start a different life, we are giving my family another option of somewhere to visit. Ive got family in Cyprus, why not Oz?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:48 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys. How did your own parents react?
My MIL has been great and my folks where ok ( ish ) to start with i think they never thought we would go ahead a do it. But since we have set dates for going they have been golden. Very very supportive ( but we still get very upset on odd days ) we hug each other and were ok then
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:57 pm
Happy migrant

My M-I-L said she won't visit as she doesn't want to leave her partner for any great length of time (he's not in the best of health).
My Mum won't be able to afford to visit.
I swing from thinking we are really selfish to thinking it's our life we make our decisions. After all our parents had their opportunities.
the worst part of it for me is that my 7 yr old daughter saw her Nana get upset. up until today she has been really excited about going but now she is saying she will miss her friends. She has just come down from bed and said she feels sick.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:04 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Really feel for you Kapri, it is everyones nightmare. Hopefully she will come round a bit before you go. Had you mentioned it before? Maybe it was the shock. Time can be a great healer.
J x
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

My family were fine and most of my wife's were fine. MIL is a bit worried cos it will also mean that she will have to move to be nearer my SIL.

I have the worse bit to come, telling my two daughters that I am going. Not looking forward to that at all. Putting that off until after our reccie trip in August.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Sam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to allSam-Jules is a name known to all

Hiya. My family were fine when we told them, bit shocked I think but they fully understand why we are going and support our decision. Although I dont have my mum anymore and Im not close to my dad, so I guess it was easier telling him, but my sisters, who I am very close to did understand .

However.........when we told my in laws we were expecting things to go very pear shaped (to put it mildly ), but they initially took it very well, saying that they understood etc etc BUT in the past week my FIL has ended up on anti-depressants and is seriously p****d off with us and my OHs sister has told us that we will put their dad into an early grave . Not quite what we were expecting.

I think that at the end of the day, despite feeling very, very guilty and sad that they feel this way we have to be selfish- we are doing it for our future and our childrens future(dont have any yet!). I hope that they will understand one day.

Keep your chin up- time is a great thing and they will probably understand one day and give you the support that each one of us deserves Dont give up on your dream, none of us lives forever and before you realise, it may be too late.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:16 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

It can be tough...my family were fine, but Cas had some problems with her mum....but since being here, her Mum has really come round to the idea, and been out here and seen how good it is for us.

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:27 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

My M-I-L said she won't visit as she doesn't want to leave her partner for any great length of time (he's not in the best of health).
My Mum won't be able to afford to visit.
I swing from thinking we are really selfish to thinking it's our life we make our decisions. After all our parents had their opportunities.
the worst part of it for me is that my 7 yr old daughter saw her Nana get upset. up until today she has been really excited about going but now she is saying she will miss her friends. She has just come down from bed and said she feels sick.
hey .i think your great,and i feel for you..

some times its cruel to be kind,your heading off for a better life for you and your,family..

sometimes life is hard but you have got to do what is best for you and yours..

here you go,have some of these for being a nice person..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ast
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:30 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

It was easy telling my family .My Mum had bolted for Northern Ireland and my Sister had left the Smoke for Sunny Somerset years ago.My MIL took it hard at 1st but she has come round and knows its best for the kids and is sorting out her fear of flying and is going to visit us later on in the year.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

We were lucky in that both families took the news well and have been quite excited for us. However my husband's brother just announced at the weekend that him, his wife and 2 kids are moving to Dubaii. My MIL is being so brave, she is clearly upset but is trying to be so positive and pleased for them. I do feel guilty about taking the grandchildren away, even although neither set of parents has made me feel that way. My brother lives in England, so my parents don't see much of him or his kids, and if we move then they will be on their own. OH's parents still have their daughter living close by with her kids so that at least softens the blow for them. I'm so glad of this forum as I'm finding it hard to talk to anyone about how I feel. My best friend was actually the hardest one to tell, she just cried the whole night after I told her and now she won't even discuss it with me at all. If I so much as mention Aus she changes the subject, it's almost as if she doesn't listen then she can pretend it's not happening.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Telling family and friends is the most difficult part. My family have been great, have tried to find out about the area we want to go to themselves and are going to book their flight soon to visit.
Doesnt stop mum crying most days we meet up or getting tearful on the phone though. That hasnt improved!!!!
M I L doesnt really want to know any of the details of where we are going etc.... So we dont offer any info now.
I think most of us get these reactions and comments. I think you have to do what feels right for you and your family and deal with it the best you can. It is hard though,
Best wishes hope all goes well, Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.