Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Told my boss today......

Told my boss today......

Old May 16th 2005, 1:50 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Told my boss today......

What you have to understand is that my manager (Mark) is great & was my friend before he was my boss.......

For weeks I have been dying to tell him of our plans, hopes & dreams and have been too scared to, in case he put his 'management' hat on and it put my current job in jeopardy :scared: (especially with me going on maternity leave in 7 wks!)........ all my other friends knew and it was getting to the point where I felt like I was hiding stuff from Mark... well I was to be blunt.

Well, this morning, I couldn't take it any longer so I took him into our meeting room on our floor & told him........ closed my eyes & waited......... he thought for a second and said........ "Absolutely fabulous! Don't blame you at all! Where can I get this occupations in demand list from?? Do you think I would qualify too????"

Ace!
Old May 16th 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice
Default Re: Told my boss today......

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
What you have to understand is that my manager (Mark) is great & was my friend before he was my boss.......

For weeks I have been dying to tell him of our plans, hopes & dreams and have been too scared to, in case he put his 'management' hat on and it put my current job in jeopardy :scared: (especially with me going on maternity leave in 7 wks!)........ all my other friends knew and it was getting to the point where I felt like I was hiding stuff from Mark... well I was to be blunt.

Well, this morning, I couldn't take it any longer so I took him into our meeting room on our floor & told him........ closed my eyes & waited......... he thought for a second and said........ "Absolutely fabulous! Don't blame you at all! Where can I get this occupations in demand list from?? Do you think I would qualify too????"

Ace!
Aaaaaand relax.
Nice one. Bet that took some guts.
Glad you got such a positive response.

Scotty.
Old May 16th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Ace!
Phew! Bet that's a weight off your mind.
Now you'll be able to talk freely at work
Hilary
Old May 16th 2005, 2:00 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

too flipping right!
i might even treat myself to (shandy of course) when I get home to celebrate!
Old May 16th 2005, 2:06 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cool!
good to hear someone has a NICE boss for once!!
im terrible at keeping things like this secret.....id just burst!

enjoy the maternity leave! (and the shandy)

sue
Old May 16th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Ace!
Well done. Bet thats a weight off your shoulders!!
Old May 16th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Told my boss today......

Ace!
you lucky thing, I need to tell my boss, I work for a special needs advisory service that is constantly under threat, there are only 4 of us. Two weeks ago two of the others handed in there notice, today was the last day before the job ad closed and we had one applicant.
I just don't know how to break it to her that I am going too. The others who have resigned are also leaving London (not going as far as us!)
Tara
Old May 16th 2005, 2:21 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
cool!
good to hear someone has a NICE boss for once!!
im terrible at keeping things like this secret.....id just burst!

enjoy the maternity leave! (and the shandy)

sue

Rachel didn't tell anyone from her work. When I phoned to break the news and she burst out crying, they were all concerned and then she looked up smiled and said I'm moving to Australia.

They were fine and are giving her a brilliant reference
Old May 16th 2005, 2:24 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by fraser
Rachel didn't tell anyone from her work. When I phoned to break the news and she burst out crying, they were all concerned and then she looked up smiled and said I'm moving to Australia.

They were fine and are giving her a brilliant reference
Its great to hear stuff like that instead of the horrors you usually read!
Old May 16th 2005, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Great news.

Personally i can't wait to tell my boss. I'm going to leave it for as long as i can, so it's as big a shock as possible.

On that note, doesn't the application process ask for details of current employment? I don't particularly want my boss to know until about a month before i move.

I'd hate to think he might make my life hard during the application.
Old May 16th 2005, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Its great to hear stuff like that instead of the horrors you usually read!
Its actually suprising the number of employers who are supportive, especially the way the process is designed, in that, alot of times you have to get a reference from your employer to even get past the skills qualification part.

You'd think the your boss would crack up, but they don't because you've given them good warning., and so they can start searching for replacements.

I was sort of lucky, my boss knew from day one I was moving, but towards the end I did get all the dead end jobs. I couldn't and wouldn't complain though, he gave me a great general reference, and would do a specific reference (phone or letter)here if I ever got that far in a job app

I think my best advice is, tell them early. They stick you with the crap jobs, but they'll appreciate the heads up. Also, more obvious, but still needs to be said... don't burn your bridges. You will need references. And Oz employers do check references, i.e. they WILL call your former boss.

JTL
Old May 16th 2005, 3:41 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Ace!
Good on ya babe, well done

D D
Old May 16th 2005, 3:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ace!
Only response possible bearing in mind he's a friend, a nice guy and he had a very pregnant woman in front of him liable to burst into tears at the drop of a hat
Old May 16th 2005, 4:02 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Ace!
So pleased for you as it could have easily gone the other way as it has for many of us.
Best wishes.
Sarah