Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is toiletries and shower gell allowed?

Is toiletries and shower gell allowed?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Is toiletries and shower gell allowed?

As the title suggests, what I am asking sounds like a silly question. However, I have been reading AQIS website and plant products are not allowed.

Trouble is, some shower gel and shampoo that I have bought earlier this year have words like herbals, mint tea and raspberry on the labels, although when I read the labels, there is nothing there to say that it is made of plants, although the smell is akin to raspberry and mint tea.

Are they allowed for shipping and would there be a problem with customs?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: Is toiletries and shower gell allowed?

On a plane - no problem, but I would declare them just to be on the safe side.

If you mean actually shipping it as in a container on a boat, then I would suggest that you prob want to leave it behind. Customs might want a look, and possible worse, it might burst and leak all over your stuff!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
As the title suggests, what I am asking sounds like a silly question. However, I have been reading AQIS website and plant products are not allowed.

Trouble is, some shower gel and shampoo that I have bought earlier this year have words like herbals, mint tea and raspberry on the labels, although when I read the labels, there is nothing there to say that it is made of plants, although the smell is akin to raspberry and mint tea.

I think customs may retain such personal hygiene items, more because of their novelty value than anything else.

They won't want you coming in here and starting a new fad . . . nor nofin' . . .
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think customs may retain such personal hygiene items, more because of their novelty value than anything else.

They won't want you coming in here and starting a new fad . . . nor nofin' . . .

Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaungchiau

It'll be fine. Put the bottles in a plastic box or crate then if they leak it doesn't matter. I brought oodles of stuff with me as I am a real stockpiler of things like that. Stil got the end of some bottles 6 years later
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

thanks for the reply. I probably won't be able to take them all on the plane due to weight limit of 20kg. Clothes and other things added up will be near the limit.

I bought them earlier this year as buy one get one free, now having nearly 10bottles. In hindsight, I know I should not have bought them as I am leaving the UK, but I don't know if my visa is approved until the grant letter on 1 July.

I think I will put them in a separate box, together with hair gel, and then put them in the box supplied by the shipping company.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

There is a restriction on the amount of gels and liquids that you can take on a plane as hand baggage. It's something like like one clear plastic bag with individual containers of not more than 100 ml. There are exemptions for prescribed medications. You find details on the webpages for most airlines and airports.

Aqis are very reasonable, declare everything that you can think of, know exactly where it is in your baggage so that they can look at it. We travel a lot and have never had anything taken from us. I always have chocolate or something so that I can tick the "yes I have food box" then if they find anything that I've forgotten I'm covered. Our doctor always gives us a letter stating what medications are prescribed for us, he includes the over the counter things like calcium supplements and vitamin D, only a few countries need things like this.