Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tips on places to holiday in North QLD

Tips on places to holiday in North QLD

Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default Tips on places to holiday in North QLD

Want to take my family a holiday near port douglas/ palm cove area
we live in hervey bay on the fraser coast...anyone been on holiday between here and cairns that would recommend an area / hotels..holiday parks etc would love to hear from you
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:01 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on places to holiday in North QLD

Originally Posted by rackcatt
we live in hervey bay on the fraser coast...anyone been on holiday between here and cairns that would recommend an area / hotels..holiday parks etc would love to hear from you
Best time of year to visit is between May to September - outside of this expect high humidity, scorching sun and rain. Palm Cove and Port Douglas at both nice and quiet places. Personally my favorite place is the Thala Beach lodge - wooden cabins in the bush with a great restaurant and huge beach.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:53 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

How big is your family and how much are you spending?

A few years ago my family came over and we went to Cairns for a week. There were 10 of us (My 4, my sisters 4 and my parents). We looked on www.stayz.com and rented a huge beach house in Clifton Beach (just down from Palm Cove). It was a great spot, close enough to the airport, still convenient for a drive into Cairns or north to P.D. - and doing the rental thing with so many people was way more affordable than hotels.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:57 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

nice spot

horse riding on the beach at wonga beach is fantastic
there a crock farm near port D too, cant remember the name

palm cove is lovely but not much there. i love that though.

if you like a walk (wee bit of a hike) theres a local place just outside port called the bump track.

i will try and remember other places and get back to ya
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Palm Cove is my favourite place - over Port Douglas. Palm Cove is quiet and I like that about it...very relaxing. In February we stayed at Sea Temple Resort and Spa in Palm Cove.....VERY nice!!!!

When we go to Cairns we usually stay at the Mercure Harbourside Cairns. Cairns is obviously touristy..but sometimes I 'need' that, so go there.

Trinity Beach is another nice area, just north of Cairns.

We just got back from Airlie Beach, first time there. We stayed at Sea Star Apartments...would recommend them...great self contained apartments with a great view. We went out on Cruise Whitsundays for a day tour that took us to Daydream Island and Whitehaven Beach....was great!!! Airlie Beach has a lagoon pool, playground etc along the waterfront and they have markets on a Saturday morning. I enjoyed it here and am looking forward to returning next year!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

thanks guys, loads great information.
We may go in May as hubby is turning 4o..will be a year in OZ so want nice memorable place.
Will look into all your suggestions.
Have my brother n sis n law coming out in may for a week, so might be too much to cramp in them staying with us getting over journey from Uk..and trying to see whitsundays,port douglas etc
althought jammie buggers are going to sydney,, melbourne and then 5 days cruising around singapore on way home ... so jealous
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:25 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys, loads great information.
We may go in May as hubby is turning 4o..will be a year in OZ so want nice memorable place.
Will look into all your suggestions.
Have my brother n sis n law coming out in may for a week, so might be too much to cramp in them staying with us getting over journey from Uk..and trying to see whitsundays,port douglas etc
althought jammie buggers are going to sydney,, melbourne and then 5 days cruising around singapore on way home ... so jealous
if your passing ayr and need to stop for the night
the air travellers motel is fantastic
theres nothing in air, but you will pay a lot more for hotels and this place its lovely
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy©
if your passing ayr and need to stop for the night
the air travellers motel is fantastic
theres nothing in air, but you will pay a lot more for hotels and this place its lovely
cheers for that..will keep it in mind
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There are lot's of lovely places you can stay at in or around Cairns. Here are some I have personal experience or reports on.

If you have young-ish kids the Big4 Coconut Resort will take some beating. Have not heard a bad report on it. Second to none for what it is.
http://www.coconut.com.au/

Another good one closer to the airport, beaches and CBD is the Lakes Resort.
http://www.thelakescairns.com.au/index.php

We've stayed at the Mango Lagoon at Palm Cove and were very satisfied. Excellent apartments. Nice stroll down to the Esplanade.
http://www.mangolagoon.com.au/

Bear in mind with Port Douglas that not many of the hotels are convenient to "what's happening" but there is a hoppa service running every 15 minutes. Most people pay for this service but it's not expensive unless you are Scottish.

Where-ever you go you have to be unlucky to draw a pup so keep your eye on the offers on places like Travelzoo.
http://www.travelzoo.com/au/
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Bix
There are lot's of lovely places you can stay at in or around Cairns. Here are some I have personal experience or reports on.

If you have young-ish kids the Big4 Coconut Resort will take some beating. Have not heard a bad report on it. Second to none for what it is.
http://www.coconut.com.au/

Another good one closer to the airport, beaches and CBD is the Lakes Resort.
http://www.thelakescairns.com.au/index.php

We've stayed at the Mango Lagoon at Palm Cove and were very satisfied. Excellent apartments. Nice stroll down to the Esplanade.
http://www.mangolagoon.com.au/

Bear in mind with Port Douglas that not many of the hotels are convenient to "what's happening" but there is a hoppa service running every 15 minutes. Most people pay for this service but it's not expensive unless you are Scottish.

Where-ever you go you have to be unlucky to draw a pup so keep your eye on the offers on places like Travelzoo.
http://www.travelzoo.com/au/
was hoping you would pop in and sort this one out lol
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Found a lovely 4 star apartments..at xmas ..good price too ...until i looked at flights aarrghhh !!!! think i need to fly hervey bay to brisbane to cairns ..or drive brisbane then fly up...or drive 17 hours lol

And IM SCOTTISH LOL !!!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Found a lovely 4 star apartments..at xmas ..good price too ...until i looked at flights aarrghhh !!!! think i need to fly hervey bay to brisbane to cairns ..or drive brisbane then fly up...or drive 17 hours lol

And IM SCOTTISH LOL !!!
The local hotels add discounts on if they know you're Scottish.

There is a lovely little Scottish shop in the Kuranda markets on the Tablelands that sell tea and scones a selection of erm, not so good Scottish memorabilia. It's the thought that counts of course.......but it's a bloomin expensive thought.