Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tips for fending off the mighty flies in Oz

Tips for fending off the mighty flies in Oz

Old May 24th 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

IslandMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tips for fending off the mighty flies in Oz

We are about to embark on an adventure. The family are moving to the sticks somewhere in WA.
Time and time again we hear reports of nuisance flies irritating the life out of people.

Does anybody have any advice on how to prepare for the onslaught!
Old May 24th 2007, 12:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for fending off the mighty flies in Oz

Reallydon't know the answer other than to smear jam on your partners back when they aren't looking.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:27 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

mike i have purchased 100,000 caps that have a built in fan..the fan does not get rid of the flies,but they dont all fly round your head,they just sit on your nose cooling off..

hey mate there not that bad,,i saw a couple round a kangeroos bum at the zoo and that was it..

good look mate..dont believe everything you read in the papers...

ast...
Old May 25th 2007, 5:57 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
mike i have purchased 100,000 caps that have a built in fan..the fan does not get rid of the flies,but they dont all fly round your head,they just sit on your nose cooling off..

hey mate there not that bad,,i saw a couple round a kangeroos bum at the zoo and that was it..

ast...
There were hardly any in Perth this year, they tend to be a few weeks in spring and then they all dissapear. It was far worst when I went over East.
Adelaide was really bad, especially in the Hills and it was mid autumn and not very warm.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:31 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aston man

ast...
You dont currently live here, how can you possibly have a good lowdown on the fly situation, a holiday only gives you a slight insight, especially if you come in the non fly season.

To answer the post as someone who has lived here 3 years, and has also worked outside, I can confirm what Steve says this year has been fine, one or two at any given time, last year and the year before were completely different stories. Having 10 on my face/head at any one time was quite common, I did a fair bit of cricket umpiring in the summer last year, and at one point when the bowler and captain were having a chat next to me before a new over, I counted 33 flies on the bowlers back..........that was without the ones flying around our heads. I used to wear sunglasses when umpiring and several times havent been able to see out of them for the number of flies on the lenses. The dung beetle is supposed to control them, but that is a whole story on its own, lets just say the aus government didnt exactly bring in the correct guys for the job!!!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:57 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
You dont currently live here, how can you possibly have a good lowdown on the fly situation, a holiday only gives you a slight insight, especially if you come in the non fly season.

To answer the post as someone who has lived here 3 years, and has also worked outside, I can confirm what Steve says this year has been fine, one or two at any given time, last year and the year before were completely different stories. Having 10 on my face/head at any one time was quite common, I did a fair bit of cricket umpiring in the summer last year, and at one point when the bowler and captain were having a chat next to me before a new over, I counted 33 flies on the bowlers back..........that was without the ones flying around our heads. I used to wear sunglasses when umpiring and several times havent been able to see out of them for the number of flies on the lenses. The dung beetle is supposed to control them, but that is a whole story on its own, lets just say the aus government didnt exactly bring in the correct guys for the job!!!
Very true, on the Gold Coast there is no fly problem at all, as soon as I land in Whyalla SA and step off the plane, swoosh, flies all over me, buzzing in me ears landing on me lips,arrghhhh so annoying I swallowed one of the black buggers last time there and was gagging and close to vomiting, much to the amusement of my aussie workmates, who have mastered the art of ignoring em, which I just cant do. Aeroguard keeps them off for a while.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:17 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

yes your right,
Old May 25th 2007, 9:11 am
Just Joined

margit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IslandMike
We are about to embark on an adventure. The family are moving to the sticks somewhere in WA.
Time and time again we hear reports of nuisance flies irritating the life out of people.

yes, there are plenty of flies, especially after rain and further inland, and they are the most annoying flies in the world. recommended: Aerogard spray or the combined sunscreen/aerogard lotion. flynet over your head/hat in the outback. flynets on windows/doors. mortein spray.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:15 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers

Hey which comp do you umpire for???
Old May 26th 2007, 10:31 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Just accept the buggers - when they're around they're there to stay. If they land on your back, arms, legs or anywhere other than your face....leave them there - at least that way they're not in your mouth or eyes!

We also burn incense sticks to keep the mozzies at bay when we're in the garden.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:47 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

My MIl has bought me one of those blue light zappers ( you know the ones you get in chippies ) that are suppose to electrocute the buggers.
Not sure whether it will work ...will keep ya posted ......by the way she bought it from ideal world ( uk )
Old May 26th 2007, 12:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - live on the East Coast instead...
Old May 26th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Issie
My MIl has bought me one of those blue light zappers ( you know the ones you get in chippies ) that are suppose to electrocute the buggers.
Not sure whether it will work ...will keep ya posted ......by the way she bought it from ideal world ( uk )
Check, but I think it is illegal to bring those zapper things to Oz - think I remember reading it somewhere. If it's not - let me know - I want my Dad to send me his over ! (sorry, just re-read your post - my Dad has a thing like an electricified tennis racquet that you can swipe the flies with - think that is the illegal thing !)
Old May 26th 2007, 1:22 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, anyone that says they are not a problem is lying. Even the Aussies find them bad. But they have obviously had years to get used to them. This year wasn't so bad because we had quite a dry one and nowhere near as hot during the summer. Last year was unbearable. You couldn't eat outside for about 2 months, and even after the plague is over you still get the mellingerers for months after that.

One tip is talk with your teeth shut like the locals do. I wear a hat with a flyscreen on it like bee keepers have. Aeroguard keeps them away for an hour or two but kills you in the process of spaying it on.

Flys also only ever fly south! When the wind turns and blows north they all hit the deck and hang on so stop from being blown back up north. so they basically migrate south. Worst place I've experienced them was Melbourne. QLD seemed much better, probably because the giant spiders do a better job at eating them.

Between the flies and the mozzies I find they make any outdoor attraction that Oz has just not worth the effort. Oh and don't ever take on an Australian wasp. They leave you alone by and large but swat at one and it takes on a personal vendetta to kill you.