Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tip re purchasing computers....

Tip re purchasing computers....

Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:13 am
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tip re purchasing computers....

Here it comes again, once every 3 months this happens. There would probably be a fair few newcomers to this country, that are wondering where to begin on the computer purchasing front.

I'm quite heavily into computers, love whats inside the box, have quite a few chats with other interested parties, and it's quite a hobby. All my interested freinds agree on one thing. You cannot beat the Aldi computer that comes out once every 3 months, It's out again on the 1st december, and is always sold out in two days, mostly because it's damned good, and anywhere else would cost at least 500 bucks more. Just the box goes for 1700 bucks.

I'd love to challenge anyone on here to find and even build themselves one, with the same specs for under 2,200 AUD.

Guranteed to be sold out within two days.

Whoops even better this time around It's 1600, aud.

This time I'm getting one, I'll be at the store when it opens this time around.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 25th 2005 at 1:16 am.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:02 am
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip re purchasing computers....

It also comes with 8.1 sound, which is the same afaik as full cinema thx stuff. I've just been to JB hifi, to check out what systems they have to handle that, and the have none !!!

I've only heard of 5.1 and 7.1 systems, is there such a thing as a 8.1 system on sale in Aussie, amp and speakers I mean ?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just been into Aldi and picked up the brochure. Might have misread it - does it include a monitor?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

OK, how does $349 for a brand new PC (no monitor, Linux software preinstalled) sound?

Check out http://www.cheapestpc.com.au/.
or http://www.gamedude.com.au/

This company (also known as Gamedude) is based in Logan QLD

The spec on the system is pretty good, I picked one up few months back. I am using the monitor off my old desktop (which is now my Asterisk server for my VOIP system)
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:02 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trevglas
OK, how does $349 for a brand new PC (no monitor, Linux software preinstalled) sound?

Check out http://www.cheapestpc.com.au/.
or http://www.gamedude.com.au/

This company (also known as Gamedude) is based in Logan QLD

The spec on the system is pretty good, I picked one up few months back. I am using the monitor off my old desktop (which is now my Asterisk server for my VOIP system)
ermmmm, yeah! Whatever!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:16 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Here it comes again, once every 3 months this happens. There would probably be a fair few newcomers to this country, that are wondering where to begin on the computer purchasing front.

I'm quite heavily into computers, love whats inside the box, have quite a few chats with other interested parties, and it's quite a hobby. All my interested freinds agree on one thing. You cannot beat the Aldi computer that comes out once every 3 months, It's out again on the 1st december, and is always sold out in two days, mostly because it's damned good, and anywhere else would cost at least 500 bucks more. Just the box goes for 1700 bucks.

I'd love to challenge anyone on here to find and even build themselves one, with the same specs for under 2,200 AUD.

Guranteed to be sold out within two days.

Whoops even better this time around It's 1600, aud.

This time I'm getting one, I'll be at the store when it opens this time around.
Just had a look on the Aldi website, that is a bloody amazing package at a blody amazing price!!
Wish I was in OZ now, I'd be at the FRONT of the Q!!

I mean, who's PC can do this for starters? Directly Print on CDs and DVDs
Easy to use: Design the CD/DVD labels the way you want them. Burn the data to your disc, turn the disc over, and print the desired label directly on the disc**. No need for any special printer or CD/DVD labelling device. **Special coated CD/DVD required.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
ermmmm, yeah! Whatever!
This is a mail order option for people who want a reasonable spec machine, but dont want to splash out heaps of cash for it.

If you havent got a monitor, then the same place also sells them. If you dont like Linux, then I am sure they could easily sell and pre-install Windows XP for you

The thread title is after all; tip re purchasing computers, this is simply another option
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Trevglas
This is a mail order option for people who want a reasonable spec machine, but dont want to splash out heaps of cash for it.

If you havent got a monitor, then the same place also sells them. If you dont like Linux, then I am sure they could easily sell and pre-install Windows XP for you

The thread title is after all; tip re purchasing computers, this is simply another option
It was this bit that finally got me: Asterisk server for my VOIP system.......do bloomin what?

Swahili another of your talents?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

It was this bit that finally got me: Asterisk server for my VOIP system.......do bloomin what?

Swahili another of your talents?

Who??
Attached Images  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Asterisk is an open source (free) PBX phone system which runs under linux. Dont know linux? No problem, get the [email protected] version, it installs the operating system, then the Asterisk server program. It will run on any old clunker of a PC.

Once you have this up and running, you can then take out as many Voice over Internet phone accounts as you like.

I have 3 local UK numbers so my rellies can call me for the price of a local call, another account which gives me free calls to any US landline, my calls to any land line in AU cost me 10c total, calls to Singapore (where my employers are based) cost me 10c total,

We have 3 separate phones (all of which can call out at the same time to different numbers) in the house, but only one physical phone line. My overseas calls from my mobile cost me the same as to an AU number, as the Asterisk server forwards them on over the internet...

My monthly phone bills have dropped from $150 to $20
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:13 am
Life is sweet in Brisbane

rima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nicerima+kids is just really nice

[QUOTE=ROBnCAZ]Just had a look on the Aldi website, that is a bloody amazing package at a blody amazing price!!

Try your local Aldi, they have the same Medion computer on sale from yesterday 24 Nov..... go to aldi.co.uk ........ good luck, join the Q.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Cor blimey!!

Shame though as we are in the process of selling everything we own with the intention of arriving Down Under with just the shirts on our backs!

Will have to wait for the next release from them - will deffo keep an eye out though. Brilliant deal, best I've seen!

[QUOTE=rima+kids]
Just had a look on the Aldi website, that is a bloody amazing package at a blody amazing price!!

Try your local Aldi, they have the same Medion computer on sale from yesterday 24 Nov..... go to aldi.co.uk ........ good luck, join the Q.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:21 pm
Moreland Member

I've just been down to Aldi, this sunday morning to check this out. Apparently they sell out of these within an hour of getting them in Normally with people queueing to get them before the store opens. So if you want one you have to get there before the shop opens, on thursday, and join the queue. Same thing happened with their LCD tv this week.

Apparently they have about 25 of these big ticket items, in store each week and they all sell very very quickly.

Theres a HD Plasma TV coming next week for less than 2000 grand apparently. Cheapest elsewhere for HD Plasma is around 3,400 afaik.

If I where a new arrival here, I would be buying as much of My electrical stuff from aldi as possible. They do fridges sometimes as well. Got to admit I havn't noticed a washing machine from the yet lol.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 26th 2005 at 11:26 pm.