British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tiny Green Flies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tiny-green-flies-663493/)

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 3:21 am

Re: Tiny Green Flies

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best I could manage. The paper it's on is a normal notepad so the lines are 7mm apart which gives a vague size guide.

Broad Shoulders Apr 12th 2010 3:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8489180)
This is the best I could manage. The paper it's on is a normal notepad so the lines are 7mm apart which gives a vague size guide.

That's not what I'm getting. Ours are more like Green Flies.

That looks more like a locust, which incidently are plaguing large areas of inland QLD right now

BigH68 Apr 12th 2010 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8489192)
That's not what I'm getting. Ours are more like Green Flies.

That looks more like a locust, which incidently are plaguing large areas of inland QLD right now

we got the tiny locusts here in CQLD too

Rudi Apr 12th 2010 5:09 am

Oh, so it's not just me who has developed green fly then!!!!! HUNDREDS of them got in the other night!!!!

Love

Rudi
x

asprilla Apr 12th 2010 5:32 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8487821)
Anyone on the Gold Coast (they may be elsewhere, no idea) what these tiny green flies are that can get through the screens and seem to jump as well as fly? Can't find them on my bug site. Doing our heads in at the moment and they seem to require more Mortein than normal bugs to finish them off. There are millions of the bloody things. What are they and how long does their season last? Can't remember them being as bad in previous years but then it's been a bad year so far for mozzies etc so maybe it's the same for these little sods.

this is funny, I noticed loads of these little green flies last night whilst I was washing up... they were attracted to the kitchen light and kept banging into the window.

I've got no idea what they are... they look weird though.

asprilla Apr 12th 2010 5:43 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8489180)

After capturing it, did you interrogate it ?

"what exactly are you, green fly?"

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 6:02 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 8489285)
After capturing it, did you interrogate it ?

"what exactly are you, green fly?"

He (or she) was dead, didn't say a lot, unhelpful little sod.

PAP01 Apr 12th 2010 8:59 am

got the bug light on outside, zap the little shit before they get in the house.:thumbup:

steve`o Apr 12th 2010 9:08 am

Originally Posted by PAP01 (Post 8489582)
got the bug light on outside, zap the little shit before they get in the house.:thumbup:

you`d need a lot of bug zappers mate, the kitchen windows got literaly thousands of the little green buggers on it;)

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 9:51 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 8489598)
you`d need a lot of bug zappers mate, the kitchen windows got literaly thousands of the little green buggers on it;)

We've had to bite the bullet and close all windows and doors and put the air con on dehumidify so we don't cook. It's not nice but preferable to being infested by the little buggers.

Rudi Apr 12th 2010 10:10 am

OMG - my windows are absolutely PLASTERED with these things tonight!!!!! YUK!!!

Love

Rudi
x

shears Apr 12th 2010 11:33 am

They are green on the inside too!! Squashed a load of 'em the other night. Thought it was because our grass had got so long and was just cut the other day but obviously not! :D