British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tiny Green Flies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tiny-green-flies-663493/)

moneypenny20 Apr 11th 2010 10:36 am

Tiny Green Flies

Anyone on the Gold Coast (they may be elsewhere, no idea) what these tiny green flies are that can get through the screens and seem to jump as well as fly? Can't find them on my bug site. Doing our heads in at the moment and they seem to require more Mortein than normal bugs to finish them off. There are millions of the bloody things. What are they and how long does their season last? Can't remember them being as bad in previous years but then it's been a bad year so far for mozzies etc so maybe it's the same for these little sods.

Kooky. Apr 11th 2010 10:54 am

Re: Tiny Green Flies

I was plagued by one of those in my Sydney lounge last night! I accused the cat that was sitting on my knee of having green fleas, it jumped about so much.

Broad Shoulders Apr 11th 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8487821)
Anyone on the Gold Coast (they may be elsewhere, no idea) what these tiny green flies are that can get through the screens and seem to jump as well as fly? Can't find them on my bug site. Doing our heads in at the moment and they seem to require more Mortein than normal bugs to finish them off. There are millions of the bloody things. What are they and how long does their season last? Can't remember them being as bad in previous years but then it's been a bad year so far for mozzies etc so maybe it's the same for these little sods.

We've had them for the last 3-4 days up here in Redcliffe too.

Grayling Apr 11th 2010 11:19 am

Thousands of the little buggers in our house

Cookster Apr 11th 2010 11:38 am

My friend Sarah has had them in her house and garden all this weekend too here in Hervey Bay....... Funny old thing but no one else has had them.... think its the gin!!!!!!

moneypenny20 Apr 11th 2010 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 8487953)
My friend Sarah has had them in her house and garden all this weekend too here in Hervey Bay....... Funny old thing but no one else has had them.... think its the gin!!!!!!

It's not gin. I haven't had a drink in weeks. The buggers are definitely real. Youngest daughter was in her room and sprayed what she thought were a few around a light. She's just had to strip her bed and shake the bedding because it was covered in hundreds of them. Strangely enough she didn't fancy sleeping with them :blink::lol:

tomar Apr 11th 2010 11:49 am

Thousands of them here in Mountain Creek as well. Glad it's not just us!!! Driving me mad, as you say, they come right through the screens, and I even thought they were biting me!

tomar Apr 11th 2010 11:52 am

PS. I've turned most of the inside lights off, and put the outside ones on, seems to stop some of them coming in, as they stay round the lights. We used to do this in Asia when we had bad flying ant invasions.

Bonnie65 Apr 11th 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8487821)

Got them here in Toowoomba too - have resorted to vacuuming them up off the ceiling :eek:

moneypenny20 Apr 11th 2010 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bonnie65 (Post 8488003)
Got them here in Toowoomba too - have resorted to vacuuming them up off the ceiling :eek:

:rofl: That sounds drastic, I rarely vacuum the floor, let alone the ceiling :lol:

revskank Apr 11th 2010 4:56 pm

Wow! Posting from the gold coast as we have thousands of these little critters in our house! They are all over the roof, bedding, bathroom, everywhere!

Does anyone know what they are?

BudBrain Apr 11th 2010 7:43 pm

I'm curious now - anyone have a macro/close-up picture?

Kooky. Apr 11th 2010 9:21 pm

Well I'm certainly glad we don't have thousands although baffled why we had one (if it was just one) in the first place as we don't open the windows at all. We've also got one of those automatic mortein spray things as we've had a serious ant problem lately.

It was bouncing around like a flea and seemed to like landing on my bare arms. So pale that I could hardly see it on the stone-coloured sofa.

Anybody else down in Sydney got them?

I've googled and googled, as I'm sure have most of you, and can't find anything like them. I don't think they're aphids.

DeadVim Apr 11th 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bonnie65 (Post 8488003)

I was doing that last night, and the walls too ... fhasands of 'em ... must be the weather, haven't had it like this in the last few years ...

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by BudBrain (Post 8488586)
I'm curious now - anyone have a macro/close-up picture?

They're so tiny, unless you have a macro lens, I don't think it would come out clear enough. Big enough to be a pain in the arse though :sneaky: I'll find a dead one and try and take a pic though. I've googled and googled but can't find them.