Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tingles Down My Spine

Wikiposts

Tingles Down My Spine

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Tingles Down My Spine

Now only 10 days to go until we fly from Heathrow to live in Melbourne. It's cold and overcast. Spent the weekend travelling around saying goodbye to friends and family (including 92 year old grandma who gave me a kiss and said 'goodbye'). The house looks like a bomb has hit it, there's everything we own all over the place (in no particular order at the moment), the removals guys come on Friday (late nights for the next few days then...), the flat needs to be cleaned top to bottom, and I have just sold my lovely Audi for a miserable £2000 less than it's actual value, but it had to go.
Got to work - not sure what it's all about. Turned on computer, looked at BBC weather for Melbourne - hot and sunny. Clicked on CoastalWatch.Com and clicked to see the webcam of St Kilda - and there it is. Sun setting in the background with 2 kitesurfers going up and down and up and down...So that's why we're doing this. Put's it all in perspective how lucky we are to be given this opportunity...
No crying out there....
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tingles Down My Spine

[QUOTE=Matt Sabin]Now only 10 days to go until we fly from Heathrow to live in Melbourne. It's cold and overcast. Spent the weekend travelling around saying goodbye to friends and family (including 92 year old grandma who gave me a kiss and said 'goodbye'). The house looks like a bomb has hit it, there's everything we own all over the place (in no particular order at the moment), the removals guys come on Friday (late nights for the next few days then...), the flat needs to be cleaned top to bottom, and I have just sold my lovely Audi for a miserable £2000 less than it's actual value, but it had to go.
Got to work - not sure what it's all about. Turned on computer, looked at BBC weather for Melbourne - hot and sunny. Clicked on CoastalWatch.Com and clicked to see the webcam of St Kilda - and there it is. Sun setting in the background with 2 kitesurfers going up and down and up and down...So that's why we're doing this. Put's it all in perspective how lucky we are to be given this opportunity...
No crying out there....

ahh...
well done and the very best of luck to you and your family
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Now only 10 days to go until we fly from Heathrow to live in Melbourne. It's cold and overcast. Spent the weekend travelling around saying goodbye to friends and family (including 92 year old grandma who gave me a kiss and said 'goodbye'). The house looks like a bomb has hit it, there's everything we own all over the place (in no particular order at the moment), the removals guys come on Friday (late nights for the next few days then...), the flat needs to be cleaned top to bottom, and I have just sold my lovely Audi for a miserable £2000 less than it's actual value, but it had to go.
No crying out there....
Not long now then! Get ready for the heat - had a few days of 40+ recently!
We also had to sell our car at a great loss but as you say, its not the time of year for selling cars and its better sold than not. Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly for you both and will look forward to hearing from you "down under".
Ruth
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ruth - I heard it was insanely hot. We're fully acclimatised to an English winter at the moment so I'm sure we're going to boil!
Will probably post again when we're in Melbourne now - fingers crossed...!
Matt and Louise
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:25 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

When you get fed up with the cold Melbourne weather head North Matt
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Crikey - what is it up in Cairns if it's +40 degrees in Melbourne? 65 degrees? 80 degrees? centre of the sun temperature?...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

good luck, have a great time. we fly in 29 days, in fact this time next month we will just have arrived in Australia.

Lawlaw
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey - what is it up in Cairns if it's +40 degrees in Melbourne? 65 degrees? 80 degrees? centre of the sun temperature?...
No, it's quite the opposite.
We don't get the extreme of temperature up here.
It's very consistent
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lawlaw
good luck, have a great time. we fly in 29 days, in fact this time next month we will just have arrived in Australia.

Lawlaw
Cool - good luck with your move. Hopefully, I'll be posting again before you leave saying how fab it is over there...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Bix
No, it's quite the opposite.
We don't get the extreme of temperature up here.
It's very consistent
Have a look at this http://www.cairnsreservations.com/in...s_climate.html
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix

Hmmm - I can see now why when I e-mailed the Melbourne guys in June last year about the job I'm going to, I got replies saying "Sorry Matt, we'll be back at work in a month's time - we're currently having a winter break in Cairns". Sounds like Melbournites go to Cairns in the winter then?...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Hmmm - I can see now why when I e-mailed the Melbourne guys in June last year about the job I'm going to, I got replies saying "Sorry Matt, we'll be back at work in a month's time - we're currently having a winter break in Cairns". Sounds like Melbournites go to Cairns in the winter then?...
Indeed they do.....as do people from all over the Southern bits.

Most holidaymakers in summer are from abroad.
In winter they are from Australia and NZ.

Winter is gorgeous here.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Surpirsed the BBC hasnt shown it, Vics having some nightmare weather.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 23rd 2006 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Same shit ... shinier bucket ...

Just remember that soldier.

No crying out there....
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, Melbourne has had the hottest temperatures in Australia lately and second on a few days was...Tasmania (if you can believe that...) but it's unusual