Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tingalpa area in Brisbane??

Tingalpa area in Brisbane??

Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future
Default Tingalpa area in Brisbane??

Anybody got any info on Tingalpa in Brisbane or the area of Wynnum hubby as an interview with company in this location was just wondering has anybody been there and know what the area is like ? any info would be much appricated...

Hazel
Old Jun 12th 2004, 1:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

HazelMary, we live close by, there is heaps & heaps of info on Wynnum if you do a search on here, not sure that this link will work, but here are some threads that have mentioned Wynnum in the last 12 months (usually by me LOL). There are 3 pages of them!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...g&pagenumber=1

This is what I wrote about Wynnum in a thread a while back - :
Wynnum is the more commercial district & is where the council library, police station, courthouse, banks, shops etc are. Still a villagy feel to it with lots of individual small shops although they have just completed a small shopping mall. Havent been in it yet, so cant comment but it is only small. There are some older parts especially around Wynnum North, but even the older run down houses are being replaced with new as people flood to the area. There are some beautiful old queenslanders in the area as well so its a mix of old & new housing. Manly is more upmarket & has a *high street* with a cafe strip etc. Manly is where the boat harbour & the yacht clubs are & has alot of very high areas which make for fabulous views (& expensive real estate!). Cross section of the community would show a large amount of 40+ professionals & elderly & my guess would be a lower than average crime rate in the area.

You do get quite a few people from the rest of Brisbane down here on the weekends & the waterfront is usually busy with people picnicing & having BBQs especially in summer when they tend to come down to escape the heat. The joys of living somewhere so nice I guess . No different really (& alot less people!) than the Gold or Sunshine Coast. There are only a couple of places where there is actually sandy beach, most of it is silty mud, could be depressing if you saw it for the first time at low tide & you werent expecting it LOL. And no surf. There are 2 swimming pools, 1 council run pool (at Manly freshwater, pay to swim with a small waterslide) & a public (free) saltwater pool that they fill on the incoming tide. Have to say though, I think its more suited to the kids, I dont think Ive seen it much more than about 2 foot deep LOL. The length of the waterfront (about 3 kms) has had a small retaining wall put in & the entire length is park with playgrounds, BBQs, picnic tables & seats dotted around & walking & bike riding tracks. It is extrememly popular with joggers, walkers & families alike & very very safe. The view looks right across the water to Stradbroke & Moreton Island.
Since I wrote the above the council has spent about $800,000 on doing up the foreshore including a kids waterplay park & new playground. Havent been down there since it was opened a few weeks back but it sounds good. Cookies (another forum member) has been living down at Wynnum for the last 6 months, they have just moved up to Manly West as they bought a house, they loved it while they were there.

Tingalpa is inland slightly from Wynnum & therefore slightly closer to the city. It has a mix of residential, acreage & industrial areas. Its well serviced by buses to the city, has a half decent shopping centre close by at Wynnum West.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 12th 2004 at 1:35 am.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 1:40 am
ABCDiamond

If working in Tingalpa, then Wynnum / Manly would be a great place to locate to.