Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timings everything so they say

Timings everything so they say

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 6:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Timings everything so they say

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Oh dear, me thinks you need to chill out - or seek medical help SOON!!!

You can give it, but you can`t take it can you???

Your arithmetic may be correct, but the figures you start with are grossly exaggerated...
Aw, blow up and bust ya silly old Pommie Bag, I don't give a stuff.

If you can not substitute what ever figures you see fit and get the arithmetic right then I hope some good Aussie does you out of your dough.

Apply to the British High Commission for repatriation if its happend already.
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 8:11 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Megalania

If you can not substitute what ever figures you see fit and get the arithmetic right then I hope some good Aussie does you out of your dough.

Are you the new PB? But only worse. You don't seem to have anything at all to say that is not rude or abusive. Please try to use your manners in future, asuming you have some that is.
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:08 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Timings everything so they say

Originally posted by pommie bastard
With the rubber Aussie dollar bonucing up and UK house prices on a down I do wonder which of the good people on this forum are getting their timing right?

UK house prices have dropped for the first time in two years and the fall is the largest since 1995, according to a survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2865405.stm

Not a problem yet if you live in the North! York's prices are still rising so fingers crossed we will still make as much as we want rather than need to take to Oz with us.

Jo
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest PB has a point. Timing is everything. If we'd have had visa before Christmas, house would have sold 'in a flash' and we'd have converted at $2.90....

As it is we are in a slightly different situation, but will make the best of it regardless, and actually it's still a good position to be in .

PB however would do well to sound a bit less smug about somebody elses potential misfortune.
Mash...

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
#

Top end of the market only, 500k pounds plus, many other part's of the UK are still growing, sorry it's a wad of cash needed to buy nothing (shoe box) here in conjested England ...

Last edited by mashiraz; Mar 22nd 2003 at 6:56 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

seems like a lot of expats believe the UK finishes at Watford.
House prices still rising every where but the South East
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
To be honest PB has a point. Timing is everything. If we'd have had visa before Christmas, house would have sold 'in a flash' and we'd have converted as $2.90....

As it is we are in a slightly different situation, but will make the best of it regardless, and actually it's still a good position to be in .

PB however do well to sound a bit less smug about somebody elses potential misfortune.
Mash...
Anything to make YOUR sad pathetic loser's life sound good hey PB,
My house price went up 5% last month so I will have a huge wad of cash to come and take your place (even at AUD$2.60)...... and before you start preaching gloom and doom I have been to Perth 7 times since 1973 with two visits in 2001 and 2002, also I have a brother who has lived there since 1972 and I keep in contact regularily so I know all the costs pitfalls and changes.
This country (UK) has changed dramatically since Labour took over and since 9/11,
I don't think all these articles and statistics you keep spouting are really making up a true picture of either country,
I've made my mind up from recent memory.
I think the UK of 1994 is nostalgia,
I have spoken to many NEW migrants in Perth and NONE of them would go back.
It might not be the right move for everybody but I have'nt met many real losers.... until I read your post's,
I just hope you havent put anybody off from emigrating as they would be the real losers

Stoney
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

It's allright house prices 'theoretically' rising, but the numbers being sold are drastically reduced, and the number being added to the market remains high, therefore people soon are going to start 'reducing for a quick sale' - hence prices coming down and market becoming competitive.

You house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it...

Mash...

Originally posted by Rossi
seems like a lot of expats believe the UK finishes at Watford.
House prices still rising every where but the South East
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

I rest my case -hope you get an appointment soon...
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Check your sums to see it the money works out for you:
UK House (GBP500K): $A 1,250K
Aus House: $A 400K
Difference: $A 950K

(Actually the difference is only 850k)

Interest at 5% $A 47.5K
Net Interest after 50% tax: $A 23.75K
Cost of Annual Family Fares: $A 10K

Net Interest - Fares: +$A 13.75K

Not everybody has a house worth 500k
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 10:11 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Check your sums to see it the money works out for you:
UK House (GBP500K): $A 1,250K
Aus House: $A 400K
Difference: $A 950K
Interest at 5% $A 47.5K
Net Interest after 50% tax: $A 23.75K
Cost of Annual Family Fares: $A 10K

Net Interest - Fares: +$A 13.75K
How about an alternative set of figures:

UK house (Not London): GBP200k (A$425k)
Aus house (Sydney): A$850k
UK salary: GBP20k (A$50k)
Aus salary: $35k (Sydney average)
Shortfall to be made up: Additional mortgage A$425k, salary $15k pa

Just as a valid a comparison as yours and perhaps more so - most British live in sub $200k houses and most British expats live in Sydney where most houses are above $800k. Lets not play silly numbers games eh, especially such works of fiction as your calculation above!!
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Herman
How about an alternative set of figures:

UK house (Not London): GBP200k (A$425k)
Aus house (Sydney): A$850k
UK salary: GBP20k (A$50k)
Aus salary: $35k (Sydney average)
Shortfall to be made up: Additional mortgage A$425k, salary $15k pa

Just as a valid a comparison as yours and perhaps more so - most British live in sub $200k houses and most British expats live in Sydney where most houses are above $800k. Lets not play silly numbers games eh, especially such works of fiction as your calculation above!!
Finally, a Pom what can do arifmatic!

Had to do an advanced Pommie course in bean counting to achieve proficiency but!

Should add a test to the the PR application: Wots 2 + 2 equal to?
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Ianrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really niceIanrpm is just really nice

Finally, a Pom what can do arifmatic!

Had to do an advanced Pommie course in bean counting to achieve proficiency but!

Should add a test to the the PR application: Wots 2 + 2 equal to?

My I'm really offended(not)
Can you maybe explain what a pom is.

Cos i am new to the word.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:20 am
Banned

Originally posted by pommiesheila
I rest my case -hope you get an appointment soon...
If you've got a case that has not been wrested from you, rest it elsewhere.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:31 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ianrpm
My I'm really offended(not)
Can you maybe explain what a pom is.

Cos i am new to the word.
Scorts often pass for people. Poms are Her Royal Majestys English slaves.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Scorts often pass for people. Poms are Her Royal Majestys English slaves.

What is a Scort?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.