Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timing of the Final Stages

Timing of the Final Stages

Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about
Default Timing of the Final Stages

Hi All,

Hopefully will be on the move to Melbourne in September this year with my wife and her 2 sons. The (spouse) visa application is in and the x-rays & medicals have been completed, so hopefully we will get the nod soon

So with that happening my brain is trying to get round the final stages and the timimg of everything, ie - do you ship your stuff 8 weeks before so it gets to oz as you do ?? do you literally complete on your house sale in the morning and fly out in the afternoon

How has everyone managed their final weeks.

Thanks for any comments

sg1964
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:21 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timing of the Final Stages

Originally Posted by sg1964
Hi All,

Hopefully will be on the move to Melbourne in September this year with my wife and her 2 sons. The (spouse) visa application is in and the x-rays & medicals have been completed, so hopefully we will get the nod soon

So with that happening my brain is trying to get round the final stages and the timimg of everything, ie - do you ship your stuff 8 weeks before so it gets to oz as you do ?? do you literally complete on your house sale in the morning and fly out in the afternoon

How has everyone managed their final weeks.

Thanks for any comments

sg1964

Hi,
I'm really interested to see these replies - -we have just put our house on the market, and we haven't got the visa yet!! :scared:

Timing seems to be everything.

xRachx
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We're shipping our stuff a few days before we go. We'll pick up the stuff we need once we're in Aus. They have IKEA there. I can't see how anyone can possibly ship weeks before they leave, because you need your stuff up until the last few days - unless of course you're staying with relatives and don't have to work. But for most of us, we're not that privileged ...
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea for a thread... currently struggling with the logistics myself.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree we're in the same boat

Originally Posted by Hutch
Great idea for a thread... currently struggling with the logistics myself.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Luma

We have three children. We're not taking their bunk beds with us - we sold them. Given that we'll need beds at the other end, we thought we'd pick some up via eBay or IKEA instead of waiting 9 weeks for them to arrive. We're taking the dining table and a sofa with us, but as we'll need another sofa in the new house (because they're bigger than UK houses and two sofas is the norm) we'll buy one over there.
We'll get a small table to see us through until ours arrives - or just use the breakfast bar which most places seem to have... but other than that, it's only personal belongings coming with us.

Having no stuff for that length of time is tricky I guess, but I see little point duplicating stuff we already have whilst we wait unless we can continue using it.

It's not long really - considering how long visas have taken, 9 weeks without stuff is nothing.

We intentionally haven't transported anything before the house exchanged in case it fell through and we ended up in a sticky situation.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luma

Yep us too! We are going on a permanent skilled visa not on the MODL and still awaiting to do our meds. It's just going soooooooooo slow. (sent app last Sept)

We have had our house on market since last August, turned down an offer in October as it was too soon!

We've just changed our dosh (bond for Oz government) to Oz dollars.

We keep ourselves going by looking at places to rent, prices of flights etc!

We've changed our route about 4 times now!

I know it will be worth it in the end, but the waiting just seems endless.

Nice to see other people's time lines and plans

Melissa
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Originally Posted by iPom
We're shipping our stuff a few days before we go. We'll pick up the stuff we need once we're in Aus. They have IKEA there. I can't see how anyone can possibly ship weeks before they leave, because you need your stuff up until the last few days - unless of course you're staying with relatives and don't have to work. But for most of us, we're not that privileged ...

thanks iP -- we're scratching our heads re the timings--
BTW anyone know what the deal is on storing your container dockside, if you have to,whilst you get sorted with (initially) a rental, unfurnished place.Quite a few folks buy a garden table and chairs to use until their stuff gets there.They then move it outside -might save a bob or two.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stubbyholder
thanks iP -- we're scratching our heads re the timings--
BTW anyone know what the deal is on storing your container dockside, if you have to,whilst you get sorted with (initially) a rental, unfurnished place.Quite a few folks buy a garden table and chairs to use until their stuff gets there.They then move it outside -might save a bob or two.
I hope renting will only take a week, but you never know. The removals we're using asked us if we needed storage at the other end until we got a rental... We've said no, but there's lots available after it's been released from customs. Ask your removals people.

I thought buying a nice garden table and chairs would be a good idea ... I think the Aussies have the best outdoor stuff I've ever seen.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

[
I thought buying a nice garden table and chairs would be a good idea ... I think the Aussies have the best outdoor stuff I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I agree they're suberb- and BBQ's to leave home for!! far too nice to leave outside, but wait that UK "outside" I'm thinking about-
S
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:54 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We are selling our furniture, BIL is buying it, well some of it.

We are taking computer, photos, personal stuff and doing the Tea chest thing to ship it out door to door, it takes 8 weeks.

We will go into rental when we get there and take it from there.

I just dont think our stuff is worth shipping.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We are selling our furniture, BIL is buying it, well some of it.

We are taking computer, photos, personal stuff and doing the Tea chest thing to ship it out door to door, it takes 8 weeks.

We will go into rental when we get there and take it from there.

I just dont think our stuff is worth shipping.
We are the same Sam. We will have a suitcase each and that is all. Apart from the TV everything is really old anyway as we didn't see the point in replacing anything while the kids were little. Too much hassle just to ship the TV, so we are not bothering.

All our pictures are going to be scanned onto a disc and going in the case. I really don't care about anything else, it's only stuff and can easily be replaced.

I think it feels brilliant getting rid of all the materialistic stuff we have accumulated.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Timing of the Final Stages

Originally Posted by WendyC
All our pictures are going to be scanned onto a disc and going in the case.
May I suggest you make 2 copies of the disks and leave 1 in the UK with a relative or friend. That way if anything happens to your stuff in transit there will always be another copy of these irreplacable memories.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
May I suggest you make 2 copies of the disks and leave 1 in the UK with a relative or friend. That way if anything happens to your stuff in transit there will always be another copy of these irreplacable memories.

Cheers

Buzzy

Cheers for that. All the originals will be staying with my brother. Also we will have copies saved to my MIL's PC as I will scan them on there.

Don't want to lose any (except the ones with me in that is )
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:10 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
We are the same Sam. We will have a suitcase each and that is all. Apart from the TV everything is really old anyway as we didn't see the point in replacing anything while the kids were little. Too much hassle just to ship the TV, so we are not bothering.

All our pictures are going to be scanned onto a disc and going in the case. I really don't care about anything else, it's only stuff and can easily be replaced.

I think it feels brilliant getting rid of all the materialistic stuff we have accumulated.

Ive got thousands of pictures. Not in an album im afraid Although I have several albums from holidays etc.

I will take my CD's, my soft toys (yes I know Im a big kid), my tax files and legal stuff, books, PC, scanner and printer, camera, creative stuff.

Ive found out that sevenseas shipping ship tea chests (40kg) door to door by sea freight for £79 for the first tea chest and less for each one following. I will pay them 25 to pack my pc.

I shall have a good sort out of my clothes, take my suits (you never know when you need them), one winter coat, and probably get some new stuff. I wont be too hasty of throwing everything out, because you just dont know.

Of course my straightening irons, curling tongs and hairdryer must come

I just dont see the point in paying 3 grand to ship old stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.