Timescales

Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Eddie.Ward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timescales

Hello All - New on here looks very usefull.

My wife and I (plus 2 year old son and another on the way!) are currently researching a move to Australia I've wanted to go since I went on holiday there for the millennium and have got the misses interested now.

I was just after an idea of timescales, I am looking to obtain a skilled independent visa, I am a Quantity Surveyor for a Contractor (on the SOL list). I realise that the first thing I need to do is get my qualifications accredited by the relevent assessing authority (AIQS). Could anyone give me a rough idea of the timeline overall.

We are planning to go to Aus for a holiday in December (a chance for my wife to see if she likes the place) I was wondering if it was feasable to get a visa by then and thereby get it validated in December or have I no chance? Or should I wait until my wife is convinced in December and start then?

So many things to think about :scared: , but still excited about the prospect.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Eddie
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timescales

Hi Eddie,

There seems to be no pattern. If you look on the timescales of be members there are some from May/June still waiting and only this morning there was a post from someone who applied in September and has received theirs already, although I think they were extremely lucky (their's was a 136 modl). So I guess it's a case of wait and see you might be a lucky one you might not
Good luck everyone
S x
p.s look on the members list for Clippies or Icequeen, go into their profile and there's a link to timescales, sorry don't know how to post the link myself

Last edited by Streaks; Jan 15th 2007 at 1:46 pm. Reason: forgot to add the link
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Hi Eddie

Welcome to BE. It takes a lot of time gathering all the info for the assessing body ie. in my case I had to get company statements, certificates etc. Once you've got all that info you have to send it off to the relevant assessing body (we went through an agent). We were told it would take 3 months for a reply but we got it within 3 weeks!!!
We then sent off visa app on Aug 15th, was expecting to be asked to go for meds in March this year but we had a letter on 20th Dec to go for meds - booked for this week.
Unfortunately it is not advisable to have an x-ray while pregnant, so you may find you will have to wait to apply for a visa, but you could start by gathering the info now. Also it helped with my trade being on the modl.

Hope this helps
Gaz

PS This site is great to ask any kind of question.
PPS where about are you going - we're hoping to go to Brisbane in May.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Our second child is due in July, so by the time we get things moving don't suppose that will be a problem. I've been to Victoria before and like the area, but have also been researching Adelaide area. To complicate things further my step father has kids in Brisbane area and a friend at work has a brother in Perth. So their local knowledge would help. Doing lots of research at moment. Would be looking to relocate no sooner than mid 2008. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:21 pm
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eddie.Ward
Hello All - New on here looks very usefull.

My wife and I (plus 2 year old son and another on the way!) are currently researching a move to Australia I've wanted to go since I went on holiday there for the millennium and have got the misses interested now.

I was just after an idea of timescales, I am looking to obtain a skilled independent visa, I am a Quantity Surveyor for a Contractor (on the SOL list). I realise that the first thing I need to do is get my qualifications accredited by the relevent assessing authority (AIQS). Could anyone give me a rough idea of the timeline overall.

We are planning to go to Aus for a holiday in December (a chance for my wife to see if she likes the place) I was wondering if it was feasable to get a visa by then and thereby get it validated in December or have I no chance? Or should I wait until my wife is convinced in December and start then?

So many things to think about :scared: , but still excited about the prospect.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Eddie
Hi, my wife is a Quantity surveyor and we moved to Perth in a total of about 6 months
She applied for a job with BGC contracting, they're huge and recruit from UK every 6 months. They were great.

BGC sorted everything and paid for everything including shipping of cats! I reckon about £10k in all

We are loving it here
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pookster
Hi, my wife is a Quantity surveyor and we moved to Perth in a total of about 6 months
She applied for a job with BGC contracting, they're huge and recruit from UK every 6 months. They were great.

BGC sorted everything and paid for everything including shipping of cats! I reckon about £10k in all

We are loving it here
Thanks for that. Employers recommendations would be welcome from anyone else in the Construction Industry. I'm currently working on the Building side, but have worked in civil engineering in the past.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:05 pm
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eddie.Ward
Thanks for that. Employers recommendations would be welcome from anyone else in the Construction Industry. I'm currently working on the Building side, but have worked in civil engineering in the past.
It's all about mining in WA we are talking a major boom town, well the north is, loads of cash being made and spent!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pookster
It's all about mining in WA we are talking a major boom town, well the north is, loads of cash being made and spent!
Could you ask your wife to clarify something for me. I've seen a number of jobs for Contract Administrators and the job description seems very much like a Contractors QS are CA's QS's or is there a difference??