Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timescale for a Work Visa - Hamilton office

Timescale for a Work Visa - Hamilton office

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timescale for a Work Visa - Hamilton office

Hi there I started a thread a couple of weeks ago called Visitor Visa to Work Visa - NZ. I had a job offer a couple of weeks back and was panicking about going to immigration to apply for a work visa. Well there has been a couple of delays and we still haven't made it through yet but I finally have the job offer which is great news and should be able to head to Hamilton on Friday or Tuesday after labour weekend to apply for the 2 year work visa. We are still awaiting police certs etc so will do the residency bit seperate in a couple of months.
Anyway I called the NZIS and asked how quick apps are processed for work visa's and I have been told 4-6 weeks - which could put a spanner in the works for us a bit! They say it could be sooner but are only allowed to say 4-6 weeks. My job isnt on the shortage list but I have the points through the NZQA evaluation.
has anyone out there been to the Hamilton office and applied? Wondered what the timescale was for your apps?
Also been told they take the first so many folk a day approx 50 - is this about right?

Anyone whos been there done that please let us know!
Cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

I have applied via Auckland office - my WHV expires in 2 weeks and they have told me 60 days - but the girl I spoke to on the phone says maybe 2 weeks. Fingers crossed its two weeks or I might not be able to work
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

I was lucky - went into the Wellington office - around 9.30-10am and had my work visa processed there and then.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed for you Copperben!! Keep us posted. Whats your job?

Evelynne - was it recently you got your visa or a wee while back? Is your job on the shortage list?

Will head off and hope!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timescale for a Work Visa - Hamilton office

Got my work permit and visa in under an hour at the Henderson (Auckland) office. Our PR application was already lodged in London so wasn't able to give them medicals, but had copies of everything else.

Went back today to get Husbands work permit/visa and the 3 kids student visas and it took 20 minutes!

Good luck
Karen
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi karen - Congratulations thats fantastic how quick they processed!

What is your job?

My one concern is the amount of proof they require to prove why an NZ Citizen was not recruited if my job is not on shortage list!

i am a bag of nerves!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

What is your job?

My one concern is the amount of proof they require to prove why an NZ Citizen was not recruited if my job is not on shortage list!

i am a bag of nerves! [/QUOTE]

I work in publishing as a designer, and the kiwis are avid magazine readers so I should be ok!

As for the proof, I seem to remember seeing some info on the NZIS site especially for employers to guide them. I might be wrong, but worth a look. If in any doubt, give the NZIS customer services in Auckland a call, they are sooo helpful!

Good luck, let us know how you get on, but I'm sure you'll be fine
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Millertime,

It was about six or seven weeks ago now that I sorted out my visa. No problems at all. The only question I was asked was whether the job was based in Auckland or Wellington.

My job was on the occupations in demand list, and my employer had given me a VERY detailed contract and job description with all the technical skills I would be using - job was for an analyst programmer.

Good luck

Evelynne
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

I knew I should have gone into the office!

Oh well I'll just have to wait - my job isn't on the occupational shortage list (insurance) so I suppose I will be way down on the list.

Just got off the phone again with NZIS and I have a case officer now for my Work Permit (not for my residency) I explained again that I my WHV is due to expire but she said just expect to wait 60 days although if it goes through quicker great!!

Is a bit nerve racking though, don't want NZIS knocking on my door saying I cant work!

"My one concern is the amount of proof they require to prove why an NZ Citizen was not recruited if my job is not on shortage list! "

I am worried about that too as my employer didn't look for anyone else to do my job - I was there initially for 6 months and then kept on - if they ask thats all I can say!

Good luck with yours!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Copperben

Looks like we are in the same boat!
We popped into the Hamilton Office today just to ask some q's. They said 6-8 week wait as they do labour market testing to see if an NZ Citizen could do the job. They said it may be quicker but cant guarentee.

Will be heading back through as soon as I have my contract in my hand and just keeping everything crossed for a quick response!

Keep us posted if you get a response from NZIS and Good luck!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Default Hows your app going Copperben?

Hi there - just wondered if you had had any feedback yet about your work visa app?
took ours in last Wed and now have a case officer too. Was going to call her and see how long will take.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Copperben
I knew I should have gone into the office!

Oh well I'll just have to wait - my job isn't on the occupational shortage list (insurance) so I suppose I will be way down on the list.

Just got off the phone again with NZIS and I have a case officer now for my Work Permit (not for my residency) I explained again that I my WHV is due to expire but she said just expect to wait 60 days although if it goes through quicker great!!

Is a bit nerve racking though, don't want NZIS knocking on my door saying I cant work!

"My one concern is the amount of proof they require to prove why an NZ Citizen was not recruited if my job is not on shortage list! "

I am worried about that too as my employer didn't look for anyone else to do my job - I was there initially for 6 months and then kept on - if they ask thats all I can say!

Good luck with yours!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Millertime

You probably have read my earlier post but I have got my work permit today! Only took 3 weeks a lot quicker than expected and no hassles at all, so I am sure yours is not far behind!