Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timescale involved-selling your home?

Wikiposts

Timescale involved-selling your home?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:37 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timescale involved-selling your home?

Hiya everybody,
Being realistic,what is the timescale involved in selling your home?
If you have a buyer & everythings pretty straightforward,wot kind of rough timescale are you looking towards legally with paperwork,money changing hands etc...
Reason i ask is,we have never sold a house before!Dont really know wots involved,wot to expect?
We are in a good area,had estate agent round,got survey done.
Weve been told we will have no probs selling the house,most houses in our area are all snapped up pretty quick.Putting it on the market with the same estate agents who have sold the house for previous owners(3 times!).Its the most sold house in our area!!
We are hoping to get our visas end Sept,then put the house on the market as soon as we hear,providing we do get a buyer pretty quick,we want to be in Oz before xmas-CAN it be done??
OR are we being unrealistic??
Dont want to temp fate & put house on market now incase theres no sign of the visa.What kind of options are available for people in our situations,dont want the upheavel of moving elsewhere & renting till we go.
What are all you homeowners doing? or what have you done?,anybody taken the risk & sold before getting your visa?:scared:
Any advice on this would be a great help
Donna.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:41 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Timescale involved-selling your home?

Originally posted by madsad
Hiya everybody,
If you have a buyer & everythings pretty straightforward,wot kind of rough timescale are you looking towards legally with paperwork,money changing hands etc...
Reason i ask is,we have never sold a house before!Dont really know wots involved,wot to expect?
Weve been told we will have no probs selling the house,most houses in our area are all snapped up pretty quick.Putting it on the market with the same estate agents who have sold the house for previous owners(3 times!).Its the most sold house in our area!!
We are hoping to get our visas end Sept,then put the house on the market as soon as we hear,providing we do get a buyer pretty quick,we want to be in Oz before xmas-CAN it be done??
Dont want to temp fate & put house on market now incase theres no sign of the visa.What kind of options are available for people in our situations,dont want the upheavel of moving elsewhere & renting till we go.
What are all you homeowners doing? or what have you done?,anybody taken the risk & sold before getting your visa?:scared:
Donna.
Hi,

Over the years I have bought and sold several houses.
If you are not in a chain and all goes well four weeks, I have done two sales in this timescale.
However if you wind up in achain it can take months.

But I would suggest that, depending on house value (first time buyer) four to ten weeks is about the average.

PJ
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:52 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi donna

yeah i can pretty much confirm what jacko says. i was told 8 weeks for mine by the estate agent, neither me nor the buyer being in a chain. It looks like the way things are going it might be a bit less, but who knows.

all the best

additional... forgot this bit

i sold the house before i had received the visa. I was hoping i'd timed both right so that i would get the visa before the house was completely sold (still giving me the option to pull out if i REALLY had to). As it turns out it worked out perfectly, my visa was granted yesterday leaving me with 2 - 4 weeks left on the house sale.

Last edited by scutterUK; Jul 9th 2004 at 2:56 am.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

mine took 5 weeks
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:16 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
hi donna

yeah i can pretty much confirm what jacko says. i was told 8 weeks for mine by the estate agent, neither me nor the buyer being in a chain. It looks like the way things are going it might be a bit less, but who knows.

all the best

additional... forgot this bit

i sold the house before i had received the visa. I was hoping i'd timed both right so that i would get the visa before the house was completely sold (still giving me the option to pull out if i REALLY had to). As it turns out it worked out perfectly, my visa was granted yesterday leaving me with 2 - 4 weeks left on the house sale.
Hi Scutter,How did you know for sure you would get your visa?
Donna.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:19 am

Originally posted by Jacko1
Hi,

Over the years I have bought and sold several houses.
If you are not in a chain and all goes well four weeks, I have done two sales in this timescale.
However if you wind up in achain it can take months.

But I would suggest that, depending on house value (first time buyer) four to ten weeks is about the average.

PJ
Hi PJ,
Do you have the option of letting a chain build up? or is it out of your hands?
Donna.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:08 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi Scutter,How did you know for sure you would get your visa?
Donna.
i didn't! i just kept my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
i didn't! i just kept my fingers crossed.
we did the same and were lucky enuff to sell the house a week later the visa arrived
we were sh!ttin it for they 2 weeks tho
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:37 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Stuck our house on the market yesterday even though we've just sent off our medicals. The estate agent reckons the house could sell in 2 weeks in our area as 3 bed houses are in demand. How long it takes after that is anyone's guess, but we're still hoping to be in Oz before October.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:48 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya everybody,
Donna.

Hi Donna

Still waiting for Dawn!!

I would speak to an estate agent tomorrow and get some pro advice. They'll tell you market trends length of time etc etc. I know it's dif in Scotland when you buy and sell your tied in I think from early stages. Is this right?

In England I would have said put it now, you can always pull out if things don't work out although I'm sure they will.

Gotta go, good luck and let me know how you get on

Walla
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:37 am

Dawn has the spare cheque book & has beaten u to it!!
Donna.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:38 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Dawn has the spare cheque book & has beaten u to it!!
Donna.

Im back and got nowt, filthy looks from Dawn, Jess was well sorted thou!!

Walla
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:49 am

Originally posted by walla1
Im back and got nowt, filthy looks from Dawn, Jess was well sorted thou!!

Walla
Oh dear! never mind-tomorrows another day!!
Donna.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Ours went on the market on the monday, ( had 2 viewings booked for the thursday and 2 for the friday ), by the friday evening we'd had an offer of the full asking price from one of the thursday night viewings.

Our buyers were 1st time buyers with their mortgage offer in place and we had no chain, could move out as soon as required, and it STILL took 12 weeks from the offer to us recieving the cheque.

Bloody solicitors - aka blood sucking time wasters.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Timescale involved-selling your home?

Hiya everybody,
Donna.
Hi,

We just sold our house which had been on the market since March due to Gordon Browns 250K stamp duty trap. B*stards. Anyway, the people buying our house only have two in their chain, and there is apparently nothing unusual in any of the sales. We are aiming to exchange contracts at the end of this month and then complete at the end of August so we can go in September. It's fairly stressful as we are trying to avoid the expence of a visa validation trip (validation is due by Oct) and my job is probably going to go down the pan in the next month or two as well. OUCH. You'll find out if the estimates are realistic because I'll be in this forum going ARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! if it doesn't go through in time...

Cheers,

BB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.