Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Timekeeping in NZ?

Timekeeping in NZ?

Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timekeeping in NZ?

Okay, here's one of those trivial questions but I'm in the process of packing up and am wondering whether to take electric clocks, e.g., clock/radios. I seem to remember reading somewhere that although voltage in NZ is the same as the UK, the frequency, i.e., Hertz, is slightly different and therefore electric clocks designed for the UK's 50Hz don't keep good time in NZ.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

They use the same 50Hz that is used in the UK. The one I bought worked fine for a couple of years until it died a natural death, and it's NZ replacement works fine in Oz as well. So all 3 countries are compatable.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Great, thanks for the prompt reply!

Ben
Old Aug 15th 2003, 1:26 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ben,

Good to hear that you are on the move, give us a shout when you get to NZ. Good luck, thanks for all the info, hope all works out with your venture,

regards, Rich.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Have you got a date for going yet Rich?

Ben
Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:16 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hey Ben.

We are looking provisionally at October 6th. If the paperwork comes through sooner, I think we'll bring that date forward though....desperate to get going and all that. Living with relatives is not the best thing. Could do with the excahnge rate improving though - it's pretty poor at present.....

regards, Rich.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm, I could be going about the same time, hopefully with Air NZ via LA.

I know what you mean about the exchange rate - when I first applied for my LTBV it was 3.3 and that was the figure I used for my calculations. I'll now be 18% worse off, (at today's rate), and when you take into account the rise in property prices, it means that I'll have to downsize the type of property I was planning to buy. I had been planning to rent for a while before buying but I think now I'll stay in a motel when I first get there and buy as soon as possible so that when the shipment arrives it can go straight to the new house.

Ben
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:17 am
Life's next chapter is?

Yup, I used 2.8 which isn't as far removed as the exchange rate was 12 months ago....scary..an 18% fall is a helluva drop. Oh well, I suppose it could rise somewhat again. We are pretty much doing the same as you - motel, rent, then buy - we were unsure about buying as we wouldn't like to have th haslle of selling if we were unable to get the PR. However, this is a risk we'll have to take, or we may not get the size of property we need. I still think it's cheaper than staying in the uK at the end of the day. Wellington suburbs don't seem too bad for prices rising at the moment, but I have only been property watching for maybe 6 months....

We should have the best part of 50K sterling as a starter, so hopefully we won;t have to undertake too large a mortgage....

Probably flying via LA ourselves - better stock up on the Diazepam now I think ..... 25 hours worth.....

all the best, Rich.