British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   This time tomorrow... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/time-tomorrow-683516/)

al150n Aug 31st 2010 4:15 pm

This time tomorrow...

....we'll be on our way.

After 3 years of planning we finally fly off to start our adventure down under tomorrow.

Still trying to tie up a few loose ends & squeeze our remaining belongings in to suitcases & not go over the weight limit. My car didn't sell on ebay so now have to ask someone to sell it for us. Our landlord/estate agents have decided they're not happy with the condition we left the house in & are withholding some of our deposit so we're having to argue that now which we really didn't need & my 14 year old daughter is still adamant she's not having anything to do with me as I'm leaving which is heartbreaking. On a plus our belongings finally set sail today 8 weeks after it was all collected.

It's a complete mixture of feelings for tomorrow - Happy that we'll finally be on our way, really looking forward to seeing our friends over there again, excited about a house viewing we have booked for Friday, etc. Scared witless about the whole thing & having to start completely from scratch over there with 2 small children in tow. And heartbroken about having to leave everyone behind especially my older 3 kids.

Hope the others of you that were flying this week have arrived safely & those who are still to fly have a safe journey :thumbsup:

Alison x

JAK Aug 31st 2010 4:17 pm

Re: This time tomorrow...

Safe journey to you and good luck for your new life in Australia :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sunshine7 Aug 31st 2010 5:02 pm

Best of luck to you!

We fly out on Monday and our house was packed up today. We are very, very lucky to have a long term rental already arranged and a job to go to but it's still a total emotional roller coaster.

Hope it goes well for you :)

MrsE Aug 31st 2010 5:08 pm

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you and you have a happy life out in Australia :thumbsup:

The_Foulgers Aug 31st 2010 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8816369)
....we'll be on our way.

After 3 years of planning we finally fly off to start our adventure down under tomorrow.

Still trying to tie up a few loose ends & squeeze our remaining belongings in to suitcases & not go over the weight limit. My car didn't sell on ebay so now have to ask someone to sell it for us. Our landlord/estate agents have decided they're not happy with the condition we left the house in & are withholding some of our deposit so we're having to argue that now which we really didn't need & my 14 year old daughter is still adamant she's not having anything to do with me as I'm leaving which is heartbreaking. On a plus our belongings finally set sail today 8 weeks after it was all collected.

It's a complete mixture of feelings for tomorrow - Happy that we'll finally be on our way, really looking forward to seeing our friends over there again, excited about a house viewing we have booked for Friday, etc. Scared witless about the whole thing & having to start completely from scratch over there with 2 small children in tow. And heartbroken about having to leave everyone behind especially my older 3 kids.

Hope the others of you that were flying this week have arrived safely & those who are still to fly have a safe journey :thumbsup:

Alison x

Good luck and I hope all goes well with your daughter.

LINZI Aug 31st 2010 8:47 pm

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy :fingerscrossed:
and same to sunshine7 :thumbsup:

Dann2000 Aug 31st 2010 9:35 pm

Also wanted to wish you good luck.

KJCherokee Aug 31st 2010 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8816369)
Scared witless about the whole thing & having to start completely from scratch over there with 2 small children in tow.

I know how you feel - did exactly the same thing in 1983. Dad, Mum, a 5yo and a 3yo. No job to go to, just two friends we'd met in the UK. No idea what we were letting ourselves in for.

Believe me, it was all worth it. Children have given me grandchildren and life is great.

Sally Simpson Sep 2nd 2010 2:19 am

Bon Voyage & lots of luck for a happy landing!:fingerscrossed::thumbsup::fingerscrossed:

JPSUPERHOOPER Sep 2nd 2010 9:45 am

good luck alison

al150n Sep 4th 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for the messages!

The goodbyes at Heathrow were horrendous especially having to say goodbye to my boys, that was heartbreaking. We arrived safely although a little stressed with the kids even though we got compliments on how good they were :huh: Staying with friends at the moment which is lovely. Viewed 2 houses yesterday one of which was really nice but tiny with no grass in the back garden (not what we want with 2 young kids) & the other was a nice size well scabby. Today I viewed another house with my friend & had to race back to get hubby to come & have a look just to make sure he liked it & we'll be taking the paperwork down the office first thing Monday morning as it was lovely, very close to the school we want our daughter to go to, backs on to a huge playing field with a park, next road from our friends & close to the shops :fingerscrossed:. They've said if all is ok with our checks we could have the keys by next weekend :thumbsup: bl**dy shame all our stuff STILL hasn't left the UK :( We've got another viewing booked for Tuesday (also a street away from where we're staying) which we're still going to look at incase the other one falls through.

Been out shopping today for a few replacement bits whilst we await our container & to have a look at cars - my god they're expensive!!

Everyone keeps reminding me that it's father's day tomorrow but I'm being mean & not getting hubby anything from the kids as I did father's day for him in June in the UK & don't see why he should have 2 special days :lol:

Got so much to sort out & think about still but trying to take one thing at a time. Feel really lucky we have friends here to help us out as otherwise I think it would all be a lot more daunting.

I've actually managed to get through today (so far) without any tears as I'm missing my boys so much. Bad as it sounds in some respects I think my daughter cutting me off a couple of months ago has actually made leaving her behind a little bit easier for now but it will catch up with me at some point.

Right best get back to my glass of wine :drinkwine:

Alison x

Sally Simpson Sep 5th 2010 12:22 am

Glad all going well so far & lots of luck with the house search!:fingerscrossed:

It is always hard saying goodbye to those we love & of course you will miss them but it will get easier.

paularn Sep 5th 2010 7:38 am

Not sure how old your older kids are but I left 4 kids behind in Canada..18yo son, 20yo daughter, 22yo son and 25yo daughter.

The 2 daughters are the ones that have given me the most grief since I moved back to OZ in February this year. They refuse to get on skype to talk to me and their 10yo sister (half sister). I didn't get a Happy Mothers Day from them either (did from my sons)...that hurt, but my daughters are not small, they are living their own lives and doing their own thing.

Over the last few weeks I have been having regular emails from the 25yr old daughter and I'm cautiously optimistic that things might turn in my favour where she won't be as angry as she was. :fingerscrossed:

The only thing I can do is keep the lines of communication open with them and thats what I would recommend you do as well, even if she is pissed off.

My daughters are probably still not thrilled with me moving but if I can get the communication going then I'll be happy. BTW...20yr old daughter continues to give me very brief short responses when I email her. :(

northernbird Sep 5th 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 8825985)
Thanks for the messages!

The goodbyes at Heathrow were horrendous especially having to say goodbye to my boys, that was heartbreaking. We arrived safely although a little stressed with the kids even though we got compliments on how good they were :huh: Staying with friends at the moment which is lovely. Viewed 2 houses yesterday one of which was really nice but tiny with no grass in the back garden (not what we want with 2 young kids) & the other was a nice size well scabby. Today I viewed another house with my friend & had to race back to get hubby to come & have a look just to make sure he liked it & we'll be taking the paperwork down the office first thing Monday morning as it was lovely, very close to the school we want our daughter to go to, backs on to a huge playing field with a park, next road from our friends & close to the shops :fingerscrossed:. They've said if all is ok with our checks we could have the keys by next weekend :thumbsup: bl**dy shame all our stuff STILL hasn't left the UK :( We've got another viewing booked for Tuesday (also a street away from where we're staying) which we're still going to look at incase the other one falls through.

Been out shopping today for a few replacement bits whilst we await our container & to have a look at cars - my god they're expensive!!

Everyone keeps reminding me that it's father's day tomorrow but I'm being mean & not getting hubby anything from the kids as I did father's day for him in June in the UK & don't see why he should have 2 special days :lol:

Got so much to sort out & think about still but trying to take one thing at a time. Feel really lucky we have friends here to help us out as otherwise I think it would all be a lot more daunting.

I've actually managed to get through today (so far) without any tears as I'm missing my boys so much. Bad as it sounds in some respects I think my daughter cutting me off a couple of months ago has actually made leaving her behind a little bit easier for now but it will catch up with me at some point.

Right best get back to my glass of wine :drinkwine:

Alison x

Welcome to Perth, nice few days weather for you.

Hope you get sorted with a rental, whereabouts are you looking?

BadgeIsBack Sep 5th 2010 7:46 am

Good stuff.

Don't bother reporting back about your mobiles, TFN or things like that.

Just get into those dolphins and let us know how you went.:thumbup: