Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Time scales on emigrating dog

Time scales on emigrating dog

Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Time scales on emigrating dog

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Hi Marvinc
Is that price all in with quarantine etc etc?

Thanks
Hi, no that's extra. Just found quote;

Exporting 4 Staffords. Flights from Heathrow, transport from Bristol to airport, crate, final health certificates, wormings, sealings and final vet checks at H, airline handling and admin. Includes crates 1 off 36"x26x28 and 3 off at 20"x18x24

Doesn't include general boosters, permit, microchipping, blood testing and flea treatment. Australian quarantine payable locally.

What I did like is they were great to talk to and will tell me what to do and when, and if necessary will talk to vets to ensure it is done properly.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:20 pm
ANNE&JAY

ANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud of

Wow, some great advice received there! Phew, I'm very relieved to know she doesn't need the rabies jab. She did have her booster in August and we requested they leave the lepto out so at least we got something right. It looks like we are going to have to get our skates on as we don't have long to get everything arranged. We have emailed Airpets and are waiting for a reply. Can anybody recommend others we could contact?
With thanks Anne xxx
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:35 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Hi Marvinc
Is that price all in with quarantine etc etc?

Thanks
Eastern Creek (Sydney reception) charged us just over $800 for one dog for the 30 days. That includes 2 vets visits (standard for when they arrive and for part way through). They have a list of groomers who you would meet on site and sign them in and of course pay them seperately. For groomers book EARLY as you can imagine lots of owners want their pets groomed and there are hundreds of dogs in here. Word of warning - make sure the quarantine station has your most up to date address etc as the bill will arrive pretty much a week after the dog gets there. They ask for payment to be made 2 weeks before the release date. When we collected our dog a French guy had ignored this and had not paid expecting to hand over the cash on the day. They refused as they don't have any cash handling facilities on site. He had to go back 2 weeks later!!!!!! After his payment had cleared !!!!!!!!
If you've arranged onward flights this is the last thing you need.

If your dog needs meds then make sure you attach at least 30 days supply to go with the crate - everything else will be confiscated (toys and the like) but the meds will get through.

Also - ensure you get a full history from your vet - it will help later on when signing up for a VET in Aussie - for meds a letter from the VET about how the drugs are to be administered and a note from you to say how the dog prefers taking tabs such as "in a treat" - "mixed in with daily food" - "down the throat" etc. If your animal is on meds - make sure you get 3 months supply in total to take - one month to go with the pet, 2 months to use afterwards as you'll need time to settle and then find a good vet.

You can also arrange (eastern creek anyway) for a dog walker to walk the dogs in a special exercise area for a cost.

The quarantine station will ask you when coming up to release time if you want to take the CRATES / SHIPPING BOXES with you. We didn't and they sold it on (its a none profit making org supposedly). If you DO want the crates and you are collecting your dogs then make sure you know the SIZES of the boxes before you fly and have a vehicle which will accomodate them (especially for more than one dog). The crates can be re-used if you are flying your dog on from a reception centre say from Sydney to Brisbane.

Where we are in NSW dog licences are required. You'll need this before you sign on with an Aussie vet. Ring up the local council. Take your micro chip certificate and vaccination record with you. Ours cost $40 for life but its more if the pet has not been de-sexed. You can do this anytime you don't have to wait till they come out of quarantine. Then you'll be armed with the paperwork when you sign on to the VET for your pets initial health check.

Can't speak for other states / territories for their requirements.

Your dog will have been treated for fleas on leaving the UK and on arrival in quarantine. You WILL need to treat them STRAIGHT AWAY when you get them out as this is the vulnerable time for them to pick up ticks and fleas etc.

They have frontline here but our VET recommended Advantix. Guidance given to us is to keep them out of long grass and generally away from anywhere you might find a native animal which is a carrier such as possums / bandicoots. Gardens should be safe if the grass is regularly mowed. We walk our dog on the beach and due to his heart problem we carry him down the steep steps which lead down to it (appreciate not possible if you've got a bunch of large pooches). The grass on the sides of the steps is an ideal dropping point for ticks from possums etc. Make sure you check the dog regularly round the neck and ears as this is the area most often, where you'll find them. Use tweezers to remove them and whatever you do don't squeeze them. If you are uncertain about what to do get an emergency appointment with the VET, most will see you immediately, and they will take it out for you and give them an injection to combat the effects.

Another good item to bring with you in your luggage are some ear drops (VET stuff is generally more effective). After being couped up for 30 days its likely that the warm humid conditions may have given the animal an ear infection (if they're a breed prone to it). If you have some to hand you can start treating as soon as you collect them. Or earlier if you are visiting them regularly.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

kt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nice

Thanks for info guys - much appreciated. I have three dogs to take - eek - one large, one medium and one small. Oh and a very large horse that I have been quoted £7k to take............ looks like I should start saving huh?

u can seriously take a horse??? i have 2 dogs and a 14hh pony so i guess now all i need to do is will the lottery and i can take them all!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:47 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt_and_kris
u can seriously take a horse??? i have 2 dogs and a 14hh pony so i guess now all i need to do is will the lottery and i can take them all!!!
Hehe - yeh you can take a horse. Mines 16.3hh and heavyweight. Should be a bit cheaper for yours. LOL.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

kt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nicekt_and_kris is just really nice

Hehe - yeh you can take a horse. Mines 16.3hh and heavyweight. Should be a bit cheaper for yours. LOL.
so r u really taking urs?? do they fly? this is facinating me ha ha
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:41 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

so r u really taking urs?? do they fly? this is facinating me ha ha
I havent decided for definite yet. I believe its more expensive to keep a horse on livery in Oz (He is in full livery due to my work commitments). And of course they fly - top competition horses fly all the time, as do racehorses.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

I havent decided for definite yet. I believe its more expensive to keep a horse on livery in Oz (He is in full livery due to my work commitments). And of course they fly - top competition horses fly all the time, as do racehorses.
yeah i guess so, just never really thought about it!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:32 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

yeah i guess so, just never really thought about it!
there are at least two permanent stalls fitted into most long haul aircraft in the animal section - race horses fly every day of the year - its BIG money to the airlines
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hi Rubypearl,

Who did / are you using ?

I have had quotes from airpets and another firm (can't remember the name now ), coming up around £2200.00-£2500.00 at the minute for my chocolate lab.

I have justs sent off for another quote with a company called Parair.

Any recommendations would be helpful !!!

Donna.
x
Hi Donna,

we used Golden Arrow. Years of experience and great personal service. Things became difficult for us with the introduction of a ban on brachycephalic breeds (we've got an English Bulldog). Long story....but Airpets asaid that it we paid the deposit they'd confirm the booking before the ban came in and that they would honour the booking (all to be via JAL).

Paid the deposit, the ban came in, the booking wasn't honoured, lost the money and Airpets said "you'd better find a new home for your dog".

We couldn't leave it at that.....chased around a few companies and Golden Arrow played out of their skins to help us.

Again...bit of a long story, but our dog had to go via New Zealand and spend 3 months there before joinin us in Sydney. However, she's youg, healthy and arrived with us in great condition. Also, because she'd been in New Zealand she didn't have to endure Easter Creek....she just waltzed in here. Her 3 months in New Zealand were difficult for us but she had a great time. In a small, family run kennels, almost living in 'reception' eating home-made doggie biscuits.

Basically we had a bad experience with Airpets. I know that they move thousands of animals each year and I know that they're good at it. But if there's a problem, they won't look at alternatives. In fact, after taking the deposit and making the booking AND THEN TELLING US THEY WOULDN"T HONOUR THE BOOKING, they said that we were cruel to try flying a brachycephalic breed to Australia and that we should not even think of taking her.....

Anyway....soap-box creaking under the pressure so I'll jump off.

But do try Golden Arrow.......and if you do use them, when you drop your dog off you'll wish you were staying there for a few days yourself. Beautiful Place.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by RubyPearl
Hi Donna,

we used Golden Arrow. Years of experience and great personal service. Things became difficult for us with the introduction of a ban on brachycephalic breeds (we've got an English Bulldog). Long story....but Airpets asaid that it we paid the deposit they'd confirm the booking before the ban came in and that they would honour the booking (all to be via JAL).

Paid the deposit, the ban came in, the booking wasn't honoured, lost the money and Airpets said "you'd better find a new home for your dog".

We couldn't leave it at that.....chased around a few companies and Golden Arrow played out of their skins to help us.

Again...bit of a long story, but our dog had to go via New Zealand and spend 3 months there before joinin us in Sydney. However, she's youg, healthy and arrived with us in great condition. Also, because she'd been in New Zealand she didn't have to endure Easter Creek....she just waltzed in here. Her 3 months in New Zealand were difficult for us but she had a great time. In a small, family run kennels, almost living in 'reception' eating home-made doggie biscuits.

Basically we had a bad experience with Airpets. I know that they move thousands of animals each year and I know that they're good at it. But if there's a problem, they won't look at alternatives. In fact, after taking the deposit and making the booking AND THEN TELLING US THEY WOULDN"T HONOUR THE BOOKING, they said that we were cruel to try flying a brachycephalic breed to Australia and that we should not even think of taking her.....

Anyway....soap-box creaking under the pressure so I'll jump off.

But do try Golden Arrow.......and if you do use them, when you drop your dog off you'll wish you were staying there for a few days yourself. Beautiful Place.

Good Luck.

And I should have done a spell-check or typed a bit more slowly. Sorry if it's a difficult one to read!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:57 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01

I have justs sent off for another quote with a company called Parair.

Any recommendations would be helpful !!!

Donna.
x
We've used JCS Livestock

http://www.jamescargo.com/dept.php?page_id=60

Mike and Debbie (the two people I dealt with) were absolutely great - always available to give help and advice, happy to keep amending the dogs' flights, as it took forever for our visa to finally come through, and any questions at all I had, they could answer.

We flew our two Rotties out with them. We flew out two weeks before the dogs did, and they collected the dogs from my mam's in Newcastle Upon Tyne for an extra charge. Can't remember off hand how much it was for them both, including collection and a nights stay in their kennels.. just under £5k, I believe, and that included all paperwork, final vet checks, crates, airline fees, final worming etc.

We've just paid the quarantine fees - with both dogs sharing kennel space, it came to $1305. On top of that, we had a vet bill for the MoneyDog..er.. I mean Ellie, who costs extra wherever she goes, as she had bad diarrhea, enough to cause concern to her (extremely lovely) kennel maid. That was $150 including consultation, call out fee and medication.

As we're up in Queensland, JCS recommended Dogtainers as a carrier for the internal flight. They're collecting Ellie and Alfie on Saturday (bad planning that ), flying them upto Brisbane, and then delivering them to us on Saturday afternoon. I can't wait, it feels like forever since I had to pick up dogpoo. Fingers crossed they've shed all their hair in quarantine

Lynne
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:27 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fly2hi
We used Airpets for our chocolate Lab and very happy with the whole deal. The worst part was dropping him off at the airport. The wife couldn't do it so down to me. But the reception was great. You just get the feeling that the handler who is looking after your dog really does care about him. That's probably the case with other companies, but just our experience.
Hi there - we have a choc lab 4yrs old, can you tell me how yours coped with the whole lot, flight, quarantine etc. as am really worried about taking him after hearing so many horror stories. Also, the nearest quarantine to Queensland is Sydney, how would they cope without seeing anyone? Sorry to ask so much but can't bear the thought of him having to do all that but can't imagine leaving him behind either.

Nicky x