Reload this Page >

Time for NZIS to allocate a case officer

Time for NZIS to allocate a case officer

Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time for NZIS to allocate a case officer

Hi,

I'm within a couple of weeks of the 6 month time limit promised by NZIS to allocate a case officer to my application (no job offer yet). Is it common for them to take the full 6 months? Should I be worried?

At the time, they said that if the timescales were likely to change, they'd let me know within 5 months. They didn't do that, so I'm expecting notification of a case offer assignment by the end of this month. Is this naive?
Old Dec 6th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Time for NZIS to allocate a case officer

Well, after 6 months, I called up. A new filing officer had taken over. We missed each other a few times but eventually connected after several days.

She said that the change in policy had significantly increased their workload and there were a lot more applications that did have job offers and had to be sorted. This would delay my application by a significant time, certainly several months.

I was a bit taken aback by this but there was nothing I could do. I later wondered why a policy change designed to restrict the applications, to genuine ones that could make a living in NZ, could result in a significantly increased workload?

It doesn't really make a lot of difference to me except that I was hoping to make my next job hunting trip with a temporary work visa and assurance that I would get residence once I got a job.

When I said I was going back to NZ to look for work, in a few months, she suggested that I leave my application in London, since it would be quicker (once I got the job) than any of the processing centres in NZ.