Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Time the Aussies stopped calling us 'English'

Time the Aussies stopped calling us 'English'

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:45 am
PommieLeague

Question Time the Aussies stopped calling us 'English'

I was born in England which is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland, yet I keep getting asked "are you English", now this really annoys me as there is no pure 'English' race or ethnicity at all! So why does it go on? I feel British, and Britain/UK is the name of my country/nation!

I say its down to either ignorance of geography or history or plain stupidity.
Yes its not a great important issue but when its one of national identity they get it wrong.
Its like refering to Queensland as 'Australia', are you a Queenslander to natives of NSW?

This article is correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

"The term Great Britain was first widely used during the reign of King James VI of Scotland, I of England to describe the island, on which co-existed two separate kingdoms ruled over by the same monarch. Though England and Scotland each remained legally in existence as a separate state with its own parliament, collectively they were sometimes referred to as Great Britain. In 1707, an Act of Union joined both states. That Act used two different terms to describe the new all island state, a 'united Kingdom' and the 'Kingdom of Great Britain'. The former is generally though not universally regarded as a description of the union rather than its name. Most reference books describe the all-island kingdom that existed between 1707 and 1800 as the Kingdom of Great Britain.

In 1801, under a new Act of Union, this kingdom merged with the Kingdom of Ireland, over which the monarch of Great Britain had ruled. The new kingdom was unambiguously called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, twenty-six of Ireland's thirty-two counties left to form a separate Irish Free State. The remaining truncated kingdom is now known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which also now includes a number of Overseas Territories. Though sometimes the term 'Great Britain' is used when referring to the United Kingdom, with the United Kingdom minus Northern Ireland being referred to as 'the mainland', this is factually incorrect; it is simply 'Great Britain'.

Often the terms Britain and British refer to the whole of the UK or its predecessors, or institutions associated with them, and not just Great Britain. For example, United Kingdom monarchs are often called "British monarchs"; United Kingdom Prime Ministers are often called "British Prime Ministers". Such usage is generally seen as correct. However the use of the term English for British, as in "Queen of England" is clearly incorrect; England in a sense of a separate state has not existed since 1707"

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Time the Aussies stopped calling us 'English'

Originally Posted by Lathlain
I was born in England which is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland, yet I keep getting asked "are you English", now this really annoys me as there is no pure 'English' race or ethnicity at all! So why does it go on? I feel British, and Britain/UK is the name of my country/nation!

[/B]"

I term myself as both British and English, probably depending on the day of the week to which I use, than anything more scientific! Now I'm trying to think about it, I can't actually work out which one I'd say the most often. When asked where I'm from I always say 'England' (because I'm not from Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland) so to me at least, that makes me think I'm 'English'. Just my own opinion, if that makes me ignorant/stupid, so be it It's an interesting article though, wonder what the Queen would think!!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:00 am
ABCDiamond

I doubt it will happen.

The Scots are proud to be Scots, the Welsh likewise, so they like to differentiate themselves from the general term "British". So most people will assume that would apply to all member countries of the Britsih Isles.

It's almost like the European people, no longer French, German etc, just "European".

And about the Australians, A Queenslander to a NSW'er, is different

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:06 am
rudo1ph

I am a British Citizen, but I am English. If someone asked me the question, I would answer that I was English.

I don't think the Aussies are getting it wrong............

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:15 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Your easily annoyed if getting asked if your English upsets you.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

I say its down to either ignorance of geography or history or plain stupidity.
Yes its not a great important issue but when its one of national identity they get it wrong.
Its like refering to Queensland as 'Australia', are you a Queenslander to natives of NSW?

This article is correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

"The term Great Britain was first widely used during the reign of King James VI of Scotland, I of England to describe the island, on which co-existed two separate kingdoms ruled over by the same monarch. Though England and Scotland each remained legally in existence as a separate state with its own parliament, collectively they were sometimes referred to as Great Britain. In 1707, an Act of Union joined both states. That Act used two different terms to describe the new all island state, a 'united Kingdom' and the 'Kingdom of Great Britain'. The former is generally though not universally regarded as a description of the union rather than its name. Most reference books describe the all-island kingdom that existed between 1707 and 1800 as the Kingdom of Great Britain.

In 1801, under a new Act of Union, this kingdom merged with the Kingdom of Ireland, over which the monarch of Great Britain had ruled. The new kingdom was unambiguously called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1922, twenty-six of Ireland's thirty-two counties left to form a separate Irish Free State. The remaining truncated kingdom is now known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which also now includes a number of Overseas Territories. Though sometimes the term 'Great Britain' is used when referring to the United Kingdom, with the United Kingdom minus Northern Ireland being referred to as 'the mainland', this is factually incorrect; it is simply 'Great Britain'.

Often the terms Britain and British refer to the whole of the UK or its predecessors, or institutions associated with them, and not just Great Britain. For example, United Kingdom monarchs are often called "British monarchs"; United Kingdom Prime Ministers are often called "British Prime Ministers". Such usage is generally seen as correct. However the use of the term English for British, as in "Queen of England" is clearly incorrect; England in a sense of a separate state has not existed since 1707"

I can sympathise with you, I’m Scottish and even I get called English - bloody anoys me too , there are people who unfortunately are not very geographically away and truly believe that the UK is England. (mostly Americans I may add) Recently here in Oz I was asked if I was English? I replied No, Irish? – No, Welsh – No, I didn’t bother to explain and just let them walk away looking bloody confused. I am proud to be both a Scot and a Brit (serverd in the British military for 23 years)

A similar annoyance of mine is the use of the name ‘Union Jack’ for the ‘Union Flag’ for those who may not be aware a flag is only a ‘Jack’ when flown from the bows of a ship – reckon I’ve got more chance of being called Scottish that that one changing!

Regards Scot
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:27 am
ABCDiamond

I suggest that you do not rely on the information in that website, although I am not saying it is innacurate in any way.

It is an editable website, by anyone, all and sundry, and the information can be altered at will.
I just went on and changed something myself Maybe I should change it back

Wikipedia is a free content encyclopedia written collaboratively by contributors from around the world. The site is a wiki, which means that anyone can edit articles, simply by clicking on the edit this page link.

Scot
I've learnt never to use the term "Union Jack" in my Dads presence, for fear of the 30 minute sermon on its correct usage

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The Act of Union in1707 did not completely join Scotland and England/Wales.
The legal and education systems remained totally separate as did the postal service and the Church. The is also a clause which allows Scotland to secede from the Union if a certain percentage, can't remember exactly what it is, of Scottish vote to do so. I'm one of those terrible people who have never considered myself to be British. I am a Scot and will be until the day I die. I must add in all the years I have live in Oz I have very rarely been clled English but as you could imagine the perpetrators of such a heinous crime were soon corrected!!!!!!
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I suggest that you do not rely on the information in that website, although I am not saying it is innacurate in any way.

It is an editable website, by anyone, all and sundry, and the information can be altered at will.
I just went on and changed something myself Maybe I should change it back

Scot
I've learnt never to use the term "Union Jack" in my Dads presence, for fear of the 30 minute sermon on its correct usage

HA HA!!!! So you can!!! I just made and edit too!!!

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I've found a lot of English people don't know the difference between England and the UK. (I lived in England for half my life.)

For example, a work colleague and I spent a some time winding up a Yorkshire lass by saying that I was Welsh and British and that my colleague was Irish and British (he was from Belfast). She just couldn't get it. "But how can you be Welsh and British? You're not English!" was her oft used reply.

Also, playing darts in a pub in SE London, one of my Welsh Flag flights broke so I changed them for some Union Flag flights. A couple of the locals thought this was highly amusing because as I had "changed my flights from Welsh ones to English ones".

I have found that the Australians generally know the difference between the UK, and its components, while the UK's continental partners do not.

Regards
Alistair
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
HA HA!!!! So you can!!! I just made and edit too!!!

"Great Britain is an pooh pooh lying off the western coast of an even bigger pooh, comprising the main territory of the United Kingdom."
Who did this

[edit] makes more sense now its this again!

"Great Britain is an island lying off the western coast of Europe, comprising the main territory of the United Kingdom."

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 14th 2004 at 4:48 am.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

I've been ask if I'm from England or London a few times...personally I won't pass judgement til I have a better grasp of my Australian geography!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:58 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Be kind - wear a lapel badge - "I'm bloody well not Oirish, definitely not Wellsh, categorically not Scorts, emphatically not Cornish, and if you call me European, I'll smack yer in the moosh".
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
personally I won't pass judgement til I have a better grasp of my Australian geography!
That's actually a very good point.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:05 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
I've been ask if I'm from England or London a few times...personally I won't pass judgement til I have a better grasp of my Australian geography!
Just ask them where in New Zealand they are from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.