Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Time of application versus time of assesment

Time of application versus time of assesment

Old Oct 1st 2002, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

LI_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time of application versus time of assesment

I just applied under the skilled migration category (September 3rd). I got the full 30 points for age being 28 years old. However, June 30th 2003 I turn 29, which would mean I would lose 5 points. I know age is computed at the time of assesment. Do you think my application would be assessed at least 9 months from now?

I need those 5 points and am very anxious.

Thanks,
O
Old Oct 1st 2002, 6:20 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time of application versus time of assesment

Originally posted by LI_Hokie:
I know age is computed at the time of assesment
Age points are "locked in" at the time of receipt of lodgement by DIMIA, not time of assessment.

Peter
Old Oct 1st 2002, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter. I've noticed that you've been a great help to tons of people here. Your advice is invaluable and it means a lot to people in the dark.

Thanks again,
Omar
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:03 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

However, June 30th 2003 I turn 29, which would mean I would lose 5 points.
By the way, you will lose points for age when you reach your 30th birthday, not your 29th birthday. But once your application is lodged, like I said earlier, your age points are calculated using your age on the date of application.

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 11:49 am
Zorro

Yes, ptlabs is correct. Age points are given based on age at the time
application is lodged. So are points for Specific Work Experience and the
basic requirement of Recent Work Experience. However, MODL and overall
points assessment are based on the latest MODL and latest points requirement
at the time of assessment.

"LI_Hokie" wrote in message
news:430779.1033496255@britishexpats-
.com
    > I just applied under the skilled migration category (September 3rd). I
    > got the full 30 points for age being 28 years old. However, June 30th
    > 2003 I turn 29, which would mean I would lose 5 points. I know age is
    > computed at the time of assesment. Do you think my application would be
    > assessed at least 9 months from now?
    > I need those 5 points and am very anxious.
    > Thanks,
    > O
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:49 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by Zorro:
However, MODL and overall points assessment are based on the latest MODL and latest points requirement at the time of assessment.
If you are referring to the passmark, you've got it slightly wrong. While DIMIA reserves the right to retroactively apply any new passmark requirements on applications still pending in the system, they chose not to do so in the last passmark revision this year (2002).

So, the overall points assessment is based on the latest MODL and the applicable passmark, as determined by DIMIA.

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ptlabs:

Peter, I didn't quite understand your post. Could you please explain it a little better.

Thanks

If you are referring to the passmark, you've got it slightly wrong. While DIMIA reserves the right to retroactively apply any new passmark requirements on applications still pending in the system, they chose not to do so in the last passmark revision this year (2002).

So, the overall points assessment is based on the latest MODL and the applicable passmark, as determined by DIMIA.

Peter
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 6:04 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Peter, I didn't quite understand your post. Could you please explain it a little better.
Age points: Assessed using the age at the time your application is received by DIMIA.

MODL points: Awarded at the time your application is assessed (this may be months after your application is received by DIMIA). To get MODL points, all the following criteria must be met:
1) If an ICT occupation on the MODL, the ACS must validate your suitability for the MODL occupation. This usually requires at least 1 year of work experience in that specialization.
AND
2) The occupation you nominated is still on the MODL when your application is assessed.

Your overall points: This is the summation of all your points according the the points-grid system, including any MODL points if you satisfy both the above criteria at the time your application is assessed.

The passmark: This is set by DIMIA and revised periodically. If your application is still pending and has not yet been decided, any passmark revisions may affect your application. It is legal for DIMIA to apply any new passmarks to any applications that have yet to be decided and are still in the system (that's what I meant by "retroactive application of passmark changes").

The last passmark revision was announced on May 7, 2002. Then, the new passmark was only applied to applications made on and after May 8, 2002, while applications made before May 8, 2002 continue to be assessed against the old passmark.

http://www.dima.gov.au/allforms/skl-pts.htm

This means that it's not automatic that any new passmark revisions will be made to affect each and every application in the queue, but DIMIA reserves the right to do so if need be.

Hope this helps.

Peter