Tiling.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Tiling.

Originally Posted by pompeywill
I am currently awaiting completion of a new build in Perth, and I will be tiling throughout and also all internal carpentry, landscaping and decorating.
Its not rocket science.
Pompeywill you can tile your own property. We tiled our new home ourselves ( except for the bathrooms and laundry which was done by a tradesman) . Neither of us had ever tiled before, and I know I'm going to upset the tilers but it was pretty easy.. when I mean easy, I mean easy to pick it up .. not easy in work. It was actually hard work to do a huge area - i.e. the whole house, and took us quite a while. . We also did not "plain" tile.. we patterned tiled. ( which costs a lot more than plain laying tiling to get it done by a tradesman)

As for danger and bad tiling .. the only bad tiling we had was actually done by the professional in one of the bathrooms and laundry.. uneven tiles, and a sharp edge on the spa bath that we made him do again.. also he put the tiles on the wall up wrong , mixed the pattern up (upside down).

We had one of the guys in who built our house a while back ( routine maintain check) , and he "loved" the tiling.couldn't believe we had done it ourselves.

We originally decided to do it ourselves because we could not decide on what tiles to lay when the house was being built, plus we priced up the cost..it was a stupid price they quoted to just plain lay some tiles - we decided to do it ourselves, to get it right, and fancy lay tiles. In the process we saved ourselves about $6,000... that saving is for plain laying tiling - so fancy laying you can add more to our savings.

There a lots and lots of big tile shops where they will advise you on the grout, and where you can buy the tile cutters etc ( it's actually cheaper to buy the tile cutter than rent when you're doing a large area.. which will take a good few weeks).

If you were coming to Brisbane.. I'd recommend "tile wizard" to you.. very reasonable ( don't know if you have that shop there in Perth) .We actually bought some beaut slate looking Spanish floor tiles from there which we put into the kitchen and dining room .. next project of ours is some stainless steel tiles in the kitchen on the walls ( tiller did the walls in the kitchen - we don't like it ).. this we priced up to buy the stainless steel tiles from a shop - came to around hundreds of $ - they sell stainless steel tiles separately, quite pricy - our price , less than $100 - we are actually lucky in that respect - we can buy stainless steel sheets wholesale ( we are in the engineering industry) .. and next door to us is a business which kits out government vehicles , they are cutting the stainless steel for us into tiles.

Anyway, here's a couple who tiled their own house and it is perfect.. if I walked you through and said which rooms were done by the tiler and which ones by us - I'd bet most people would say "you did the laundry and the bathrooms" - the ones that the so-called professional did.. the ones done by him are uneven, to little things like the gap is not dead straight line . in time we are ripping up the laundry tiles to do ourselves.. because not happy with them.

The thing is , and this is in our case.. if you're tiling your own home - you want it perfect, because you'll be the ones living there.. so you tend to do a good job. Unlike if your doing someone else's you don't really care.

Anyway, if you want to tile your own house - no problem.. plenty of people here do their own tiling, while plenty of people don't.

It all depends on you.. if you are good with DIY and take care of your projects.. go for it. It is pretty easy to get into tiling.. just a lot of hard repetitive work that's all. ( kills your knees and back after a while )

It can be can quite fun and rewarding... It's funny I know every tile personally .. I feel like naming them..lol

good luck

P.s we did a lot of internal work ourselves.. as you also mentioned carpentry ( I say we - but this is actually my hubby with the woodwork.. I draw the line at tiling. He's the multi handy one).. boulder retaining wall next in the garden.. work never stops ( want something done right .. do it yourself - if you don't mind the hard work, and you are good with projects) .. check out the laws for your landscaping by the way..walls need to be under a certain height , or go on a weekend course)

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 8th 2004 at 2:25 am.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
interesting debate developing here. I can see where the DIYers are coming from, yet the impact on house resale is a serious issue and needs to be addressed. Apart from that, can't see why you can't do it yourself. Laws not withstanding. I know people who have replaced sections of their deck - is this licensed?

The debate is not so much who does tiling, and who gets to do it, but who pays if it goes wrong. (One reason for getting a professional).

Just a thought - the developers I worked for did their own tiling - even I did a bit!!!

BM
Replacing decking is not one to dabble in if the deck is suspened or raised, several issues, structural for eg, it probably needs engineered footings and approvals if off the ground, plus adding a deck is one of the most common ways to totally wipe out the warranty on the termite protection on your house, it cant be attached without termite barriers. Posts into the ground do they meet termite proofing regulations and will it affect your existing construction. Generally anything with a roof needs full building approval. But If you mean just mending a few boards, ask why are they in need of replacing? should be OK providing the no termite damage is present, if the boards have gone its likely the supporting stucture is affected too.

Its a minefield in many areas, tiling is simple, agree but do you know the waterproofing requirements behind the tiles? (Not you Badge , whoever asked the question) and more so are you qualified and licensed to provide the waterproofing certificates required to get your final inspection and approval!!

Look I didnt make up these rules but its very different from the UK. I can tell you now most termite control companies can pull out of thier warranty if the house owner as much as puts a garden bed up against the house. Same with retaining walls.

Of course people do DIY here but stick to stuff like painting and carpet laying, stuff where you are not going to be required to provide proof to anyone that it was done by a licensed tradesman.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Replacing decking is not one to dabble in if the deck is suspened or raised, several issues, structural for eg, it probably needs engineered footings and approvals if off the ground, plus adding a deck is one of the most common ways to totally wipe out the warranty on the termite protection on your house, it cant be attached without termite barriers. Posts into the ground do they meet termite proofing regulations and will it affect your existing construction. Generally anything with a roof needs full building approval. But If you mean just mending a few boards, ask why are they in need of replacing? should be OK providing the no termite damage is present, if the boards have gone its likely the supporting stucture is affected too.

Its a minefield in many areas, tiling is simple, agree but do you know the waterproofing requirements behind the tiles? (Not you Badge , whoever asked the question) and more so are you qualified and licensed to provide the waterproofing certificates required to get your final inspection and approval!!

Look I didnt make up these rules but its very different from the UK. I can tell you now most termite control companies can pull out of thier warranty if the house owner as much as puts a garden bed up against the house. Same with retaining walls.

Of course people do DIY here but stick to stuff like painting and carpet laying, stuff where you are not going to be required to provide proof to anyone that it was done by a licensed tradesman.
you are right with the termites.. take a new house it's under warrantee for a certain time ( as long as you have termite inspections each year) .. but if you put a deck in touching the slab - they won't touch you with a barge poll.

And as for anyone putting beds up to the house - they need their head seen to! - have you noticed on these DIY shows you get here, like backyard blitz etc.. that the number of times they plant flower beds next to the house - this is not recomended at all!! .. these shows make me laugh ( unless you live in Tassie- where I don't think they have any termites at all) . Everything with a roof needs planning permission. decks over a certain area space also need planning permission here in QLD, people do not seem to realise this ( it's not only the height of the deck - also area comes into it here)

Retaining walls - use stone boulders ( amazing how many people use sleepers.. and none of them the wood are 100% termite proof, no matter what the manufactures say) - I know as a previous home of mine had termites ( rental.. thank gawd) .. I could tell you about someone I knew who had his fibreglass boat eaten into by termites too, believe it or not ( it was a project which was sitting there for a time on the dirt)

always check out the laws - and do your homework first.

cheers

P.s also if you mean the waterproofing tiles and the grout .. check out the sealants.. terracota are the very non water proof ones and should always be sealed if in a wet area. Also with the cement - there are many diff types.. I had to use one which was designed for newly build slabs , and not old settled slabs - ie allow for movement which still may be there..( A good tile place will advise you on all this, and what type of cement , what grout, what tiles, what sealants if any needed)

You do not need a tiler. And to be honest the Professional tiler I had to doing my bathrooms/laundry room should have been shot! .. perhaps I should have questioned his qualifications ( he was working for the building company we built with, so must have had a licence)

Also with regards to safety - I think you'll find Uk is more stringent.. like not having sockets in the bathroom. water and electric don't mix..

Building things such as walls over a certain height and things with roofs on - the law here is very much like the UK.. you need planning permission. over a certain height in walls you need it certified by an engineer. Over a certain amount of $$$ - you need to take a building course.. this can be done in a weekend.

Plumbing you can't touch at all ( QLD) , unless your a plumber .. like fitting your own bath or sink into the mains. Electricity the same... and that's another story! lol

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 8th 2004 at 4:16 am.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to your first post.

Certificate for tiling....MY ARSE
If you do a proper job then you get paid, if not then you dont....simple.
Tiling is not like gas or electric work, no-one will be in danger because of badworkmanship.
I've been tiling for 20 years and will carry on in Aus, if its my own property who gives a toss anyway.
As I said your in danger of losing your home to termites if you get a leak. If you've carried out the tiling yourself you carry the can end of story. If a licensed tiler carried out the work he's responsible.

As far the guy here who think tiling is a joke

Hmmm, I read all the posts and cant find anyone who said that tiling was a joke. Its a trade like any other.
If I was a typical homeowner in Aus (which actually I am) and wanted some tiling done I would ask around and get some recommendations from the neighbours or friends, personally a license would be insignificant as far as I was concerned.
I appreciate that working for a construction company would require some form of qualification but surely in the private sector you would go on recommendation (as you do here).
Australia is not England but at the same time its not another planet either.
I plan to renovate my own properties, surely I dont need a license to tile my own house?
A licence is very significant for the reasons I gave previously.
If your planning on renovating your own properties you'll need a licence to carry out the waterproofing/tiling in the wet areas otherwise you may find you cannot get a certificate of completion. By [as you do here] I take it you do mean your still in the U.K? When you start working you'll quickly become aware of just how different thing are here it may as well be another bloody planet. Frustrating is how I'd describe it.
You may then appreciate just how easy earning a living is in the U.K compared to here.

I am currently awaiting completion of a new build in Perth, and I will be tiling throughout and also all internal carpentry, landscaping and decorating.
Its not rocket science.
If your awaiting completion of your new build and your still in the U.K your going to have a bloody long wait for completion. Your home cannot be issued with a certificate of completion until the wet areas are tiled and I'll wager you will not be allowed to tile these areas until you have the correct licence.

Ceri your comments are completely valid as usual Tiling main floors is so easy it takes little or no time to learn and I'd advocate anyone with a basic knowledge of diy to attempt their own. I would advise you read a copy of the Australian Standards though just to ensure the expansion joints are in the correct places. Tiles can sometimes be kilned badly and you have no legal recourse open to you if you fail to have proper expansion joints.

Just going to add this little gem as a footnote. I just opened the mail and I'm being sued for compensation!!! Why? This is because a customer recently asked me to change the specified grout colour from natural grey to terracotta After being shown the colour chart she assured me she wanted the terracotta . She was prepared to pay any difference in price and she did this willingly. Now two months on she's not happy the terracotta is not terracotta enough for her. I've been back twice [for free] and re-washed the floor I even chopped up a tile to prove I'd used terracotta grout right through.
AGGGHHHHHHH crazy bloody woman next person who wants terracotta can get stuffed

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 8th 2004 at 10:23 am.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:17 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cresta57
Going back to your first post.

As I said your in danger of losing your home to termites if you get a leak. If you've carried out the tiling yourself you carry the can end of story. If a licensed tiler carried out the work he's responsible.

If your awaiting completion of your new build and your still in the U.K your going to have a bloody long wait for completion. Your home cannot be issued with a certificate of completion until the wet areas are tiled and I'll wager you will not be allowed to tile these areas until you have the correct licence.
Hi Cresta,
Yes you are right on the wet areas, the building company insisted on tiling the bathroom and laundry room (now I know why).
Its the main living areas and kitchen floor I will be tiling.

What amazes me is that a bricklayer, plasterer or carpenter (which I am incedently) can work in Aus unlicensed but the poor old tiler cannot.

On the termite problem which is discussed, I was led to believe that this is not so much a problem in Perth. The houses are mainly built of concrete and brick. Even the internal walls are brick, no wooden studwork at all.

I actually love tiling and much prefer it to carpentry (less tools to carry) and after sleeping on it I reckon an 80 hour college course to obtain a license is worth it. As someone previously said its not much to ask to obtain a trade license. A typical carpentry apprenticeship is 5 years.

But getting back to my original point, if someone calls themselves a tiler after an 80 course would you want them tiling your house? Just because they have the right piece of paper.
Surely a guy with a good rep and bags of experience is a better option license or not.

We've had chippies on our firm fresh from a 5 year apprenticeship who cant hang doors!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Tiling.

Hi Cresta,
Yes you are right on the wet areas, the building company insisted on tiling the bathroom and laundry room (now I know why).

What amazes me is that a bricklayer, plasterer or carpenter (which I am incedently) can work in Aus unlicensed but the poor old tiler cannot.

On the termite problem which is discussed, I was led to believe that this is not so much a problem in Perth. The houses are mainly built of concrete and brick. Even the internal walls are brick, no wooden studwork at all.

I actually love tiling and much prefer it to carpentry (less tools to carry) and after sleeping on it I reckon an 80 hour college course to obtain a license is worth it. As someone previously said its not much to ask to obtain a trade license. A typical carpentry apprenticeship is 5 years.

But getting back to my original point, if someone calls themselves a tiler after an 80 course would you want them tiling your house? Just because they have the right piece of paper.
Surely a guy with a good rep and bags of experience is a better option license or not.

We've had chippies on our firm fresh from a 5 year apprenticeship who cant hang doors!
Dont quote me but i think you may find that you need a licence for Bricklaying , and carpentry too (if you intend on working for yourself.)http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/bu...oriesatok.html
Also the course is 800 hours to learn tiling..

Last edited by itsasecret; Sep 8th 2004 at 4:48 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:21 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by itsasecret
Dont quote me but i think you may find that you need a licence for Bricklaying , and carpentry too (if you intend on working for yourself.)http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/bu...oriesatok.html
Also the course is 800 hours to learn tiling..
Oops I thought it was an 80 hour course.
800 hours does sound a bit excessive for laying tiles. Its a funny old world where you can learn to drive in a week yet have to spend 2 years in college to do a bit of tiling.

I've not seen any posts on carpentry or bricklaying licenses, its always the plumbers and sparkys that complain.
I know a carpenter in Perth who had to take some form of test, but it didn't involve going to college.
I really dont have a problem with going to college to gain licenses or whatever, you cant come to Aus and then complain about their system can you?
It just seems that sometimes a little common sense would suffice.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cresta,

You need a licence for any trade within the building/construction industry, even concreting is seen as an individual trade and has a couple of sub-classes. In the U.K general labourers would do that job. Even the guy who comes and installs the wire shelving in the linen cupboards has to be licensed.
As a chippy you'll have to choose whether your a carpenter or a joiner or a cabinet maker or a shop fitter and then specify which licence you have 6 years experience at. It is technically possible to hold 2 licences but almost impossible in reality as the 6 yrs must be recent experience. Don't think the TRA's the hard bit it starts again when you get here.
Here's a full list,[sorry it's a cut n paste] welcome to the nightmare of being a trade contractor in Australia, the most over legislated place in the world.

Trade Contractors
Air Handling Duct Installation
Brick and Segmental Paving
Bricklaying and Blocklaying
Completed Residential Building Inspection
Cabinetmaking
Carpentry
Concreting
Plumbing and Drainage
Drainage
Irrigation
Fire Detection Systems
Fire Equipment - Passive (Wall and Ceiling Lining)
Fire Equipment - Passive (Penetration and Joint Sealing)
Fire Equipment - Passive (Fire Doors and Fire Shutters)
Fire Fighting Appliances
Fire Hose Reels and Fire Hydrants
Fixed Fire Pump Sets
Fire Sprinkler Systems (Domestic and Residential)
Fire Sprinkler Systems (Other than Domestic and Residential)
Fire Suppression Systems - Special Hazards
Floor Finishing and Covering (Hard Sector)
Foundation Work (Piling and Anchors)
Gasfitting
Glass, Glazing and Aluminium
Joinery
Structural Metal Fabrication and Erection
Non-Structural Metal Fabrication and Installation
Metal Fascias and Gutters
Roof and Wall Cladding
Painting and Decorating
Plastering Drywall
Plastering Solid
Refrigeration, Airconditioning and Mechanical Services Including Unlimited Design
Refrigeration, Airconditioning and Mechanical Services Including Limited Design
Sheds, Carports and Garages
Shopfitting (Trade)
Site Classifier
Steelfixing
Stonemasonry
Structural Landscaping (Trade)
Termite Management - Chemical
Termite Management - Physical
Roof Tiling
Wall and Floor Tiling
Waterproofing
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

You need a licence for any trade within the building/construction industry, even concreting is seen as an individual trade and has a couple of sub-classes. In the U.K general labourers would do that job. Even the guy who comes and installs the wire shelving in the linen cupboards has to be licensed.
As a chippy you'll have to choose whether your a carpenter or a joiner or a cabinet maker or a shop fitter and then specify which licence you have 6 years experience at. It is technically possible to hold 2 licences but almost impossible in reality as the 6 yrs must be recent experience. Don't think the TRA's the hard bit it starts again when you get here.
Here's a full list,[sorry it's a cut n paste] welcome to the nightmare of being a trade contractor in Australia, the most over legislated place in the world.

Trade Contractors
Air Handling Duct Installation
Brick and Segmental Paving
Bricklaying and Blocklaying
Completed Residential Building Inspection
Cabinetmaking
Carpentry
Concreting
Plumbing and Drainage
Drainage
Irrigation
Fire Detection Systems
Fire Equipment - Passive (Wall and Ceiling Lining)
Fire Equipment - Passive (Penetration and Joint Sealing)
Fire Equipment - Passive (Fire Doors and Fire Shutters)
Fire Fighting Appliances
Fire Hose Reels and Fire Hydrants
Fixed Fire Pump Sets
Fire Sprinkler Systems (Domestic and Residential)
Fire Sprinkler Systems (Other than Domestic and Residential)
Fire Suppression Systems - Special Hazards
Floor Finishing and Covering (Hard Sector)
Foundation Work (Piling and Anchors)
Gasfitting
Glass, Glazing and Aluminium
Joinery
Structural Metal Fabrication and Erection
Non-Structural Metal Fabrication and Installation
Metal Fascias and Gutters
Roof and Wall Cladding
Painting and Decorating
Plastering Drywall
Plastering Solid
Refrigeration, Airconditioning and Mechanical Services Including Unlimited Design
Refrigeration, Airconditioning and Mechanical Services Including Limited Design
Sheds, Carports and Garages
Shopfitting (Trade)
Site Classifier
Steelfixing
Stonemasonry
Structural Landscaping (Trade)
Termite Management - Chemical
Termite Management - Physical
Roof Tiling
Wall and Floor Tiling
Waterproofing

As a registerered/licenced builder for houses and Hi-rise, (try getting one of them!) its not worth my neck to have anyone on site who is not licenced/registered/insured/qualified/ABN and I've checked out licence history. All of my contractors have the above and the only ones I consider employing otherwise are apprenticed to them and therefor I am covered.

Employing anyone without this stuff can put the entire house in jeopardy, a unqualified chippie for eg, gets in there something goes wrong and the entire chain can drop liability. Builders are dropping out of this game like flies, your neck is on the line with every nail, yet clients persist in wanting the cheapest possible construction, I will only build now for people who want to pay for the best.

Great minefield at moment is the severe dry spell has caused approx 25% of homes to crack, soil here can go from flood one year to drought the next, I can only imagine the flood of claims to come from this little event of nature.

There are thousands of apprentiship positions in the building industry available, nobody wants them, take the climate, take the liability issues no way I'd go into it again either.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:34 pm
Banned

As a registerered/licenced builder for houses and Hi-rise, (try getting one of them!) its not worth my neck to have anyone on site who is not licenced/registered/insured/qualified/ABN and I've checked out licence history. All of my contractors have the above and the only ones I consider employing otherwise are apprenticed to them and therefor I am covered.

Employing anyone without this stuff can put the entire house in jeopardy, a unqualified chippie for eg, gets in there something goes wrong and the entire chain can drop liability. Builders are dropping out of this game like flies, your neck is on the line with every nail, yet clients persist in wanting the cheapest possible construction, I will only build now for people who want to pay for the best.

Great minefield at moment is the severe dry spell has caused approx 25% of homes to crack, soil here can go from flood one year to drought the next, I can only imagine the flood of claims to come from this little event of nature.

There are thousands of apprentiship positions in the building industry available, nobody wants them, take the climate, take the liability issues no way I'd go into it again either.
I thought Aussies were laid back?
Obviously not in the construction industry.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought Aussies were laid back?
Obviously not in the construction industry.
I think its a myth made up in England , sure we wear casual clothing, drink lots of beer and watch lots of sport, but when it comes to money forget it, its not just building either. Did you read the thread on renting and getting your bond back :scared: Or one of the school threads where I pointed out 1 in 40 QLD teachers are suing the gov/taxpayer for work related injury

Still it works both ways the government is chasing 2.5 million people for underestimating their income when they claimed Family Benefits.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:11 pm

I think its a myth made up in England , sure we wear casual clothing, drink lots of beer and watch lots of sport, but when it comes to money forget it, its not just building either. Did you read the thread on renting and getting your bond back :scared: Or one of the school threads where I pointed out 1 in 40 QLD teachers are suing the gov/taxpayer for work related injury

Still it works both ways the government is chasing 2.5 million people for underestimating their income when they claimed Family Benefits.
She'll be right mate
I should be at work today but I've got to sort this little grout problem before it costs me a fortune in legal fees.
First stop BSA, second the manufacturers who give a 10 yr guarantee. Ahh a morning on the phone. Any tips for me Jad?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:35 pm
Banned

She'll be right mate
I should be at work today but I've got to sort this little grout problem before it costs me a fortune in legal fees.
First stop BSA, second the manufacturers who give a 10 yr guarantee. Ahh a morning on the phone. Any tips for me Jad?
we double glazed a conservatory for someone once. They refused to pay.
2 years later their sealed units misted up so they rang us to get them replaced under the guarantee! Obviously we refused as they hadn't even paid for them.
They sued us and WON!!!

People seem quick to finger rogue tradesmen but we get no protection from arsehole customers.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri your comments are completely valid as usual Tiling main floors is so easy it takes little or no time to learn and I'd advocate anyone with a basic knowledge of diy to attempt their own. I would advise you read a copy of the Australian Standards though just to ensure the expansion joints are in the correct places. Tiles can sometimes be kilned badly and you have no legal recourse open to you if you fail to have proper expansion joints.

Just going to add this little gem as a footnote. I just opened the mail and I'm being sued for compensation!!! Why? This is because a customer recently asked me to change the specified grout colour from natural grey to terracotta After being shown the colour chart she assured me she wanted the terracotta . She was prepared to pay any difference in price and she did this willingly. Now two months on she's not happy the terracotta is not terracotta enough for her. I've been back twice [for free] and re-washed the floor I even chopped up a tile to prove I'd used terracotta grout right through.
AGGGHHHHHHH crazy bloody woman next person who wants terracotta can get stuffed
why doesn't she just dye it? Why I say this, you can buy grout dyes. We used a dark grout to do the slate tiles. it was supposed to be a blackish sort of colour.. it dried too light a colour.. so instead of ripping them up, you can actually order ( I don't think the stores stock it much here, couldn't find it in stock when I asked about it .. you have to order it, American made produced.. which I did) a dye which you brush onto the grout. pretty easy. I know grout dries in some odd ways.. i.e. our original dark grout dried lighter than I wanted, so I just dyed the finished grout with a product which is designed for this.

Terracotta.. can't stand the colour myself .. always reminds me of flower pots, and yet it seems people tile their homes the most in beiges and terracotta. Had trouble getting some nice tiles here.. one of the reasons why we did not tile the house when it was being built , couldn't decide what tiles on the spur of the moment , couldn't visualise it. Most of the tile shops are just full of terracotta, beiges and blues.. all colours which find I bland.. anyway glad we hung on.. we picked up some lovely Spanish tiles ( which look like slate).

we did not tile the wet areas ourselves.. although they were done badly by the professional tiler. This we actually had him ripping off tiles and re doing things..You ought to have seen it.. we have a large spa bath.. and as you probably know the surrounds around the baths. i.e. the steps and things are tiled... there were sharp corners on some of the tiles.. rip your leg job.. this he had to fix when we saw it, the splashbacks tiles were put on not in pattern .. this he had to rip off and start again. the floors of the wet areas looks ok to the eye.. but if you run your feet or hand over it.. it is not flat, there are raised tiles. Without blowing our own trumpet - we did a far better job than this indvidual tiler did. we were more picky.. i.e. when we had finished doing the house.. there was just one tile near the front door that we were not happy with.. i.e. it was a tiny bit raised.. couldn't tell by the eye.. so up it came.

Just say to anyone who wants terracotta that you don't recommend it.. but will do it if you want it, but please be aware that colours can alter in the process. We recently were going to get a stencilled drive .. forget the name of the process they use .. but it's those drives that tend to look like old cobbled stones..The place that does this ( also does inside floors.. the marbled floors which you pour a substance thought the house).. anyway, the bloke said he would do it for us, but did not recommend these drives ( even though he had them in his catalogue) as they tend to be slippery when it's wet with rain, and there was a clause in there somewhere.. anyway we took his advise and changed our mind on that one.

As for the crazy woman.. if it were me I'd tell her to P off ( actually I probably wouldn't if it was my business.. strangling her may work though)

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 9th 2004 at 1:15 am.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She'll be right mate I should be at work today but I've got to sort this little grout problem before it costs me a fortune in legal fees.
Ive got plenty of tips but this covers most situations. Expect each and every client to become a potential lunatic, imagine facing them in court at your first meeting, envisage what sort of deceptive nature they have and how nasty the temper is.

Then get them to SIGN every order /change/ request they make. We had a charming woman who wanted the entire outside of a three level home painted aubergine when my wife pointed out this might look a little purple sat there on top of a hill, the woman snottily replied she wanted to look stylish.

With all the saftey scaffold in place around $5000.00 dollars worth :scared: the house was rendered and painted, she turns up, literally screams, has total hysteria that the house is bloody purple. So purple is the house several neighbours are already complaining. Of course her response is to deny she wanted that colour and demands WE change it. The husband stands there and backs her up, she didnt want purple despite being at the meeting where they ordered it and we tried to disuade them.

My wife calmly slips into the truck and produces the signed order where the colour was typed up and they agreed to it They are #astards here, Ive seen entire houses of carpet go in and its usually the woman who will deny ever ordering that colour at all. If you've not got a signed order there is a big dispute. Make them SIGN before you do anything.

BTW that house is still purple I laugh every time I drive past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.