British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tiling. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tiling-197144/)

itsasecret Dec 16th 2003 12:51 pm

Tiling.

I want to learn to do some tiling for when i get to renovating a new house in oz, and was thinking I could earn a few bob doing it as a side line.. NO you need a licence . More red tape.

Can someone please tell me where i can do a course General Construction Certificate III in Tiling. (BCG30198) in Brisbane . I will be 31 years old and dont want to goto school for 2 years to learn something that i may not be able gain any income from. Can i learn this in a week? Anyone know.?
Thanks for your advice.

Badge Dec 16th 2003 1:02 pm

Re: Tiling.

try typing in TAFE in to a search engine. I think that courses in February may well be closing or full soon..

Badge

CHnJ Dec 16th 2003 1:05 pm

Originally posted by itsasecret
I want to learn to do some tiling for when i get to renovating a new house in oz, and was thinking I could earn a few bob doing it as a side line.. NO you need a licence . More red tape.

Can someone please tell me where i can do a course General Construction Certificate III in Tiling. (BCG30198) in Brisbane . I will be 31 years old and dont want to goto school for 2 years to learn something that i may not be able gain any income from. Can i learn this in a week? Anyone know.?
Thanks for your advice.
Have you ever tried tiling?

itsasecret Dec 16th 2003 1:13 pm

Originally posted by CHnJ
Have you ever tried tiling?
Yep i did my 2 bathrooms, quite pleased although it took a while to do and its back breaking for floor tiles. However its very satisfying when you have an end product.

I know there is lot to learn, but had a look at the TAFE website, it takes 800 hours!!! I cant believe it.. all i want to do is learn about mixing and cutting/designing etc.. You dont need to study for 800 hours surely?.

Badge Dec 16th 2003 1:21 pm

I got a job in Bondi tiling, but my South Adrican boss spent 45 mins teaching me how to tile, then "showed me one more". And just "one more". In the end I said, "look I'll hand you the tools as you do them...."

easy day's pay...

Badge

Avery Family Dec 16th 2003 2:09 pm

Yep i did my 2 bathrooms, quite pleased although it took a while to do and its back breaking for floor tiles. However its very satisfying when you have an end product.

I know there is lot to learn, but had a look at the TAFE website, it takes 800 hours!!! I cant believe it.. all i want to do is learn about mixing and cutting/designing etc.. You dont need to study for 800 hours surely?.
I've been tiling since 1982... I spent 2 years training with a french Artisan, just grouting!
Without blowing my own trumpet, I think I can pretty much do it now. However you've thown a spanner in the works with needing a licence. Do you know if this applies to everyone?. I've been assessed by the TRA and expect to get the visas very soon....(paid bond a couple of weeks ago)
We're heading to Perth... been told by a tile shop that there's loads of work.....now I'm worried

itsasecret Dec 16th 2003 2:26 pm

You need licences yes... and must get your skills checked once you get to oz. if you work in construction/cabling they have authorities who regulate you. If you work for someone else i dont think the tiling applies , however if you want to work on your own it does.

TRA does not garentee you will pass your licence application either. I have TRA in general Communications tradesperson, but im required by law to have a licence to allow me to work with Twisted pair.!! this must be obtained from another authority. I have found that this is the worst part of getting work in oz, as you cant really do much from england you need to be in oz as there is too much red tape.

sorry.

CHnJ Dec 16th 2003 2:35 pm

I'm at the same stage and was mulling over the same idea ... 800 hours came as quite a surprise to me, so thank you for saving me the embarassing spluttering over the phone if I'd asked the TAFE admissions officer!

itsasecret Dec 16th 2003 2:37 pm

http://www.tafeonline.qld.edu.au/han...ourse=BCG30198

TAFE COURSE IN TILING

ayanem Dec 16th 2003 4:04 pm

So, if I want someone to do some tiling, am I supposed to ask them to hand over their certificates when they knock on my door?

Strange country Australia:confused:

Kelpiegirl Jan 15th 2004 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I suggest you try to find TAFE colleges in Brisbane, there's several of them and I'm sure at least one of them offers this course.

I'm pretty sure you can't learn it in a week. My husband is a tiler and he had several years of training before he was allowed to do a job on his own. There's more to it than just glueing a few tiles to the floor or wall. However, I know in some countries there are some short courses which will teach you the basics in a few weeks or months. I don't think Oz is one of them, though.

Last year my hubbie went to TAFE to get information about retraining. They told him (this was in Western Australia, things might be different in Queensland) the only way he can learn a trade is to become an apprentice. There were no evening courses or weekend courses, only fulltime day courses.

So he had to do a fulltime course for 1 year and then find someone who was willing to take him on as an apprentice for another 3-4 years. It was absolutely ridiculous! He was 32 at the time and needless to say, with a partner and with bills to pay he did not fancy taking on this course and apprenticeship.

Kelpiegirl

Timber Floor Au Jan 15th 2004 2:00 pm

800 hours tho broken down into 20 hrs per week training is fair i think, to earn a trade.... very fair !

itsasecret Jan 15th 2004 2:02 pm

Originally posted by Kelpiegirl
Hi there,

I suggest you try to find TAFE colleges in Brisbane, there's several of them and I'm sure at least one of them offers this course.

I'm pretty sure you can't learn it in a week. My husband is a tiler and he had several years of training before he was allowed to do a job on his own. There's more to it than just glueing a few tiles to the floor or wall. However, I know in some countries there are some short courses which will teach you the basics in a few weeks or months. I don't think Oz is one of them, though.

Last year my hubbie went to TAFE to get information about retraining. They told him (this was in Western Australia, things might be different in Queensland) the only way he can learn a trade is to become an apprentice. There were no evening courses or weekend courses, only fulltime day courses.

So he had to do a fulltime course for 1 year and then find someone who was willing to take him on as an apprentice for another 3-4 years. It was absolutely ridiculous! He was 32 at the time and needless to say, with a partner and with bills to pay he did not fancy taking on this course and apprenticeship.

Kelpiegirl
i agree, oz seems to have more rules for trade's licence than the PR itself..!! Its rediculas that someone who wishes to invest in this trade and do good for the country has to go back to school for 2/3 years, and there is no flexibility in this.

:confused: :( :(

itsasecret Jan 15th 2004 2:06 pm

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
800 hours tho broken down into 20 hrs per week training is fair i think, to earn a trade.... very fair !
And who is going to do 20 hours a week.. god some uni students dont do that for 1 subject.

scotvness Jan 15th 2004 4:29 pm

On the other hand It should and is probably designed do away with 'trade-cowboys' who in the UK are able to set up a business doing 'whatever' - do a crap job and leave with the money never to be seen again. (The program 'Rogue trader' is a good example)

As hard as it seems, in Australia at least the customer is being protected, a tradesman who does do a shitty job stands to lose his licence and thus his income. Also I beleive (please correct me if I'm wrong) but if an unlicenced worker carries out work and the customer refuses to pay - In Australia there's nowt he/she can do about it.