Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tiger Snakes and Spider Encounters

Tiger Snakes and Spider Encounters

Old Nov 13th 2003, 4:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tiger Snakes and Spider Encounters

Last night I was woken by a HUGE spider crawling over my hand.

I flicked it off and it landed on the doona (duvet) with a THUD!

This morning my wife was weeding the front garden, barefoot and guess what she nearly trod on?

That's right, a TIGER SNAKE.

So when people tell you that these creatures are out there but you hardly ever see them, you can tell them from me that they are talking crap.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tiger Snakes and Spider Encounters

Originally posted by renth

This morning my wife was weeding the front garden, barefoot and guess what she nearly trod on?

So when people tell you that these creatures are out there but you hardly ever see them, you can tell them from me that they are talking crap.
When theres a warm (well boiling) spell the creepy crawlies really get on the move, especially snakes. Hot weather is supposed to make snakes aggressive too, dont know about snakes but it has that effect on people. If thats the first bit of really hot weather you have had they will be coming out to mate.

We live in dense rainforest and would see about 6 snakes in summer, there out there alright.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Renth

You really do seem to get high incidence of spider and snake 'events'. I am yet to see my first 'loose' snake and never even seen a decent size (thudding variety) huntsman yet. As you rightly say, however, they are out there. I am just waiting to be lulled into a false sense of security and go and get bitten by somehting unpleasant, especially since I live in a 'bushy' bit of Brissy. I still always check the pool filter cover thing in case of resting snakes.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:16 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty
When theres a warm (well boiling) spell the creepy crawlies really get on the move, especially snakes. Hot weather is supposed to make snakes aggressive too, dont know about snakes but it has that effect on people. If thats the first bit of really hot weather you have had they will be coming out to mate.

We live in dense rainforest and would see about 6 snakes in summer, there out there alright.
On the subject of spiders does anyone know of a website I can look at that shows photo's or such of the spiders in OZ. I have young children who love picking up spiders here in the UK but I want to educate them before we get there on good and bad OZ spiders, just so they know what to do if bitten and which ones to avoid.
Cheers

nicholls clan
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nicholls clan
On the subject of spiders does anyone know of a website I can look at that shows photo's or such of the spiders in OZ.

here you go:

http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/featur...pidersnest.asp
Old Nov 13th 2003, 5:26 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
here you go:

http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/featur...pidersnest.asp
Thanks for that jayr, excellent reading for my son's. Sent shivers up my spine just looking.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:03 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Thanks for that jayr, excellent reading for my son's. Sent shivers up my spine just looking.

When I first arrived I was a bit worried about all this too, i guess everyone is. Whilst I can't identify every spider, I tend to go by the rule that if it's very black it will be a bit dangerous. Anything like that I will make sure I kill. Huntsmans get put back outside, daddy long legs get left alone to kill other pests and I'll relocate anything that is outside if I'd be in danger of stumbling into its huge web. (Spiders here are very good at throwing up a line between objects 5 metres apart). and I also try to remember to check the sun visor before driving off. I know this may all sound a bit horrible but you get used to it quick.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:04 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I was getting the mail out of the letterbox just now and stuck to an envelope was a hugh cricket, well I think it was a cricket, looked like something we use to have in glass cabinets at school!

I know it's not dangerous, deadly or bites but it's a shock to see something that large (about 2+ inches) scampering across your letterbox towards you!!!! Yuk.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:06 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by janeyray
I was getting the mail out of the letterbox just now and stuck to an envelope was a hugh cricket, well I think it was a cricket, looked like something we use to have in glass cabinets at school!

I know it's not dangerous, deadly or bites but it's a shock to see something that large (about 2+ inches) scampering across your letterbox towards you!!!! Yuk.

i guess that was a cicada (sp), I always dislike putting my hand in the letterbox as it opens from the rear and you can't really see in so have to feel around .
Old Nov 13th 2003, 6:13 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

i guess that was a cicada (sp), I always dislike putting my hand in the letterbox as it opens from the rear and you can't really see in so have to feel around .
I'am confused as to what a 'Cicada' looks like. A friend showed me a small black winged thing and said that they make all the noise. Not sure now which creature is making all the racket!?? Anyone have any pictures? Ceri??
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:53 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Renth,

I love your dry sense of humour and understatement If I had been woken by a large 'thudding' spider' there would have been tales of waking the house up, putting the lights on, unable to sleep until all bedding and bedroom had been thoroughly checked obviously by my husband under my close supervision from a strategically safe place.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:16 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: :scared: :scared: If I have to put my hand in a letterbox I can't see into first...then we shall have NO mail.....end of story.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:22 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Books available from Amazon good bedtime reading.

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Kiwis

Take Care!: Poisonous Australian Animals

Dangerous Creatures of Australia (Green Guide)
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Best I don't tell my wife about the spiders - it could lead to the shortest emigration plan in history. Looks like we will be going for a city apartment, at least 6 floors up, no windows......not sure I fancy that either!

Ah the joys of moving to a new country
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:23 am
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by janeyray
I'am confused as to what a 'Cicada' looks like. A friend showed me a small black winged thing and said that they make all the noise. Not sure now which creature is making all the racket!?? Anyone have any pictures? Ceri??
Hi janeray
here is a link and a picture for you.

http://rainforest-australia.com/cicadas.htm
Attached Thumbnails Tiger Snakes and Spider Encounters-cicada_under.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.