Tickets on hold

Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tickets on hold

Ok just of the phone to Etihad and we have the tickets on hold till Friday, what are we doing? Anyway £2122 for 2 adults and 2 kids Dublin to Brisbane.
Only thing i'm concerned about is the second part of our journey from Abu Dhabi to Brisbane which is 16hrs 35mins think it might be a real killer especially with 2 young boys what do you think? Dublin to Abu Dhabi only 7hrs 35mins so is it swings and roundabouts I just don't know!
I posted earlier about Etihad service and have got mixed reports so don't know what to do, we went last time with Qantas and were very pleased.
Another thing is telling my parents, we had to abandon our attempt in 2007 because of the pressure they put on us, things have got a lot worse here since, with no work and ridiculous weather, they just don't understand that there could be a better life out there for the whole family. They have never travelled and don't understand our dreams.
Please help got 3 days to decide.

Thanks

Al and Jacque
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:17 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all
Default Re: Tickets on hold

Originally Posted by Al and Jacque
Ok just of the phone to Etihad and we have the tickets on hold till Friday, what are we doing? Anyway £2122 for 2 adults and 2 kids Dublin to Brisbane.
Only thing i'm concerned about is the second part of our journey from Abu Dhabi to Brisbane which is 16hrs 35mins think it might be a real killer especially with 2 young boys what do you think? Dublin to Abu Dhabi only 7hrs 35mins so is it swings and roundabouts I just don't know!
I posted earlier about Etihad service and have got mixed reports so don't know what to do, we went last time with Qantas and were very pleased.
Another thing is telling my parents, we had to abandon our attempt in 2007 because of the pressure they put on us, things have got a lot worse here since, with no work and ridiculous weather, they just don't understand that there could be a better life out there for the whole family. They have never travelled and don't understand our dreams.

Thanks

Al and Jacque
Emotional blackmail is a real killer eh!

Carol

Cant people just be happy that you are giving something a go!
That is a good price for tickets but I would go with Qantas myself.
My favourite airline is Emirates and they really look after the kids.

What are you suppose to do stay there with no job just to please them.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Al and Jacque
It is so tough when parents do the emotional blackmail thing. I had that from my mum for a couple of years after we moved. She assumed we would be moving back to the UK.....7 years on I think she gets it!

You have to do what is right for YOU and YOUR family. Your parents made their choices when they were young and now you are making your own. If it is right for you, then follow your dreams. They will come around eventually.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi you seem very stressed and I dont blame you, with regards to the flight, I personally do not care whom I fly with as long as I get to where I intend to be, so it is a personal choice, comfort, timing etc etc, In my opinion if you are only going one way, does it really matter?? only you can answer that!

Dont let others put you off your dreams.

Bluekipper
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Al and Jacque
Expedia says its 150 quid more in total to fly Qantas for all four by the looks of it, connecting BMI to to the QF flights. Or the same to fly BA all sectors. Why dont you just go with them if you would prefer it and it gives you peace of mind. Its clearly a worry so why not just eliminate it as its not heaps more.

I prefer to fly through Changi at Singapore than Abu Dhubi which is a bit of a chore so would probably pick the QF flights.

As to telling parents, its always hard. The trick is not to sound excited by it and the temptation is to tell them and then rant on about how wonderful it is. They are clearly not going to share your enthusiasm. Just tell them your migrating and let the conversation just go from there, but remember its not a debate, simply ask for understanding and not blessing and try not to sound too excited
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, don't let emotional blackmail hamper your dreams. We left both sets of our parents in Southern Africa and they've got used to it.

You only live once and they're your lives to live as has already been said. You are adults now and can make your own decisions.

If you never go you'll never know. All the best.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:21 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Ya don't let anyone put off your dreams, it is hard though, my Dad never mentions the fact that I'm going to Oz, my Mam and everyone else have no problem(inside probably they do, but they keep that to themselves).

As you said, the recession is still knee deep, the weather was knee deep last week.

Went with Emirates the first time, I wouldn't really recommend them, the plane we used was old fashioned looking, seats were crap, food wasn't great etc.
Found Qantas the second time around to be a much fresher plane, better food etc.

But once the plane gets to its destination is the main thing!

Don't look back and wonder
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Al and Jacque is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies they are really appreciated, just googled Etihad reviews and gives very interesting reading, some people say they are excellent and others say it is terrible, alot of complaints about flight attendants doing their bare minimum, might have to consider going to Heathrow and flying with Qantas, we were trying to avoid Heathrow it meant rechecking bags the last time which was a bit of a nightmare, with two very young boys that time and changing terminals via the train. Will have to check tomorrow if we can get our luggage checked in at Belfast/Dublin to Brisbane.

Thanks

Al & Jacque