Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thyroid removal op - Medicare??

Thyroid removal op - Medicare??

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:16 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thyroid removal op - Medicare??

Hi Guys

I've been having tests since arriving in Oz and I may need to have my thyroid removed in the near future (I've got more tests tomorrow which will give me a clearer picture). Anyway I was just wondering if anyone knew what the situation would be with reference to payment for it? I havent yet spoken to my doc about it but just wondered if any of you here could give me an idea beforehand? It wont be a deciding factor as to whether or not it gets removed but its something we may well need to budget for.

Also I was wondering what the after care is like? iPOM??!!!! I believe you wrote about it when you first arrived but I cant find the thread now.

Any help appreicated
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thyroid removal op - Medicare??

[QUOTE=Mrs Jackaroo]Hi Guys

I've been having tests since arriving in Oz and I may need to have my thyroid removed in the near future (I've got more tests tomorrow which will give me a clearer picture). Anyway I was just wondering if anyone knew what the situation would be with reference to payment for it? I havent yet spoken to my doc about it but just wondered if any of you here could give me an idea beforehand? It wont be a deciding factor as to whether or not it gets removed but its something we may well need to budget for.

[QUOTE]

Not being an expert, it sounds as though it maybe classed as elective surgery, unless it is life threatening, you may have to wait. I think it would be better to speak your doc and get his/her thoughts. Not sure whether Medicare would cover elective procedures. Do you have private cover?

Last edited by The Bloke; Oct 2nd 2006 at 11:23 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:25 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke

Not being an expert, it sounds as though it maybe classed as elective surgery, unless it is life threatening. I think it would be better to speak your doc and get his/her thoughts. Do you have private cover?
No I dont have private cover unfortunately - not sure that it would be classed as elective though because if its not removed it could well choke me in the future?? I have a feeling that it could be a costly operation :scared: and costly after care :scared: - I was about to have it done in the UK before we left and the surgeon changed his mind - flamin typical! .
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hi Guys

Also I was wondering what the after care is like? iPOM??!!!! I believe you wrote about it when you first arrived but I cant find the thread now.

Any help appreicated

Hi,

Not sure about the Medicare thing as I haven't quite got my head round it all just yet

But here is a thread about my Thyroid problem that iPom helped me with. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=thyroid
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

And here is the one you meant

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=thyroid
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:42 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Any help appreicated
Hello luv

I can't help you on any of that, but the Aussies on the thyroid board might... Tea Lady (?) is an Aussie and might be able to help.

I'd say it is a life threatening issue though. Untreated, it can lead to other nasties. Best to speak to medicare anyway.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by iPom
Hello luv

I can't help you on any of that, but the Aussies on the thyroid board might... Tea Lady (?) is an Aussie and might be able to help.

I'd say it is a life threatening issue though. Untreated, it can lead to other nasties. Best to speak to medicare anyway.

Cheers mate - yep I've spoken to Tea Lady before - shes great. I'll have a word with them on the board now I think. Havent been back there for a while but I've got biopsies tomorrow and I want to try and make a decision before the results come back (assuming that a decision isnt already made for me that is pending the results!! :scared: )
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Cheers mate - yep I've spoken to Tea Lady before - shes great. I'll have a word with them on the board now I think. Havent been back there for a while but I've got biopsies tomorrow and I want to try and make a decision before the results come back (assuming that a decision isnt already made for me that is pending the results!! :scared: )
Well there might also be an alternative course to take too... Taking the thyroid out is the start of other issues too, as you know.

Ask Bob too... He's a mine of info.
I haven't been for a while.. got to drop in though. Will catch you over there. Hope you get a good result.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thanks Wendy - I missed that thread first time around cos it was the day we flew!

Hope your thyroid is behaving itself now?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy - I missed that thread first time around cos it was the day we flew!

Hope your thyroid is behaving itself now?

On and off, I think I need the dose adjusted. I have to go within the next week anyway so will have a blood test done to see what's happening
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:18 am

Biopsies all done today - got a very tender neck 12 bloody needles altogether! :scared:

Gotta wait a couple of days for results now - then its gonna be decision time!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Biopsies all done today - got a very tender neck 12 bloody needles altogether! :scared:

Aw, poor you Rach.
Do post your results on TUK - you can get some good input that way.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ouch

At least it's out of the way now though. Let us know how you get on
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi Guys

Any help appreicated

I've just had a look on the medicare website and from what I can see as long as you have full medicare cover then you won't have to pay for anything

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/..._mc_covers.htm
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I've just had a look on the medicare website and from what I can see as long as you have full medicare cover then you won't have to pay for anything

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/..._mc_covers.htm

Oh thanks ever so much for that. I had a look and couldnt find anything - I'm sure my head is up my a** sometimes!

Thank you

And thanks also to Wendy & iPOM - I'll def keep everyone up to date!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.