Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thyroid condition and Private insurance in Oz

Thyroid condition and Private insurance in Oz

Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice
Default Thyroid condition and Private insurance in Oz

Hello everyone,

I was talking with a friend today; while she is toying with the idea of relocating Down Under, she's also quite reluctant to do so, because of a medical condition she has - she's dependent on thyroid supplements (Euthyrox) and wanted to know what the associated costs would be for such drugs? are they covered by normal Medicare (or by private medical insurance)? how much would she need to pay for a monthly visit to a GP, just to renew her prescription? would she be able to do her tests, regularly (every 6 months for her thyroid and monthly for some related blood tests) and for free, or would she have to pay every time?
And - what would an average premium for a good private medical insurance be?

I wasn't able to answer her questions; all I could do was to show her a PDF with some vague details re. Medicare. Could anyone give me a hand here?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thyroid condition and Private insurance in Oz

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Hello everyone,

I was talking with a friend today; while she is toying with the idea of relocating Down Under, she's also quite reluctant to do so, because of a medical condition she has - she's dependent on thyroid supplements (Euthyrox) and wanted to know what the associated costs would be for such drugs? are they covered by normal Medicare (or by private medical insurance)? how much would she need to pay for a monthly visit to a GP, just to renew her prescription? would she be able to do her tests, regularly (every 6 months for her thyroid and monthly for some related blood tests) and for free, or would she have to pay every time?
And - what would an average premium for a good private medical insurance be?

I wasn't able to answer her questions; all I could do was to show her a PDF with some vague details re. Medicare. Could anyone give me a hand here?

Thank you in advance!
Hi,

Tablets for my throid problem are $26 per prescription, there's 40 in a bottle and you get 6 bottles each time. I only have a blood test once a year, or earlier if I feel unwell. I've had extensive thyoid tests done when I arrived and all I've paid is $15 for the doctor and the above $26 per prescription.

Cost of doctors vary, but if she gets one that bulk bills then she won't pay for the visit only the prescription.

The treatment here for thyroid problems is outstanding.