For Thunderace

Old Jun 25th 2002, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default For Thunderace

hi there,
I take it from your name that you are into bikes (my husband had a thunderace before we moved out here to Sydney) and heard you mention you'll miss biking. Just thought I'd let you know that we went for a cruise with the Skyline club (my husband has bought a nissan Skyline GTS-T, he's a bit of a rev-head) last Sunday and there are some fantastic roads out here and they were full of bikes ranging from Harleys to Ace's. Also, since we have been here the weekends have been mostly sunny and dry, ideal biking weather as my hubby keeps mentioning!! He hasn't got a bike yet, I won't let him until we have bought a house! So thought I'd cheer you up a bit with this.

Mandy
Old Jun 25th 2002, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: For Thunderace

Mmmm...biking roads....sticky tarmac...twisties. What are they like in OZ for stuff like speed cameras and speed cameras I wonder!!
Old Jun 25th 2002, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

Not sure what the NSW police are like but WA's police (apparently) are hot off the mark when it comes to speeding and going through red lights. My rellies were forever checking their rear view mirrors for cops when we were there...

love sophia xx
Old Jun 25th 2002, 8:21 pm
Robert Edwards

We call them revenue raisers here.......

"MrFlibbleUK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Mmmm...biking roads....sticky tarmac...twisties. What are they like in OZ for stuff
    > like speed cameras and speed cameras I wonder!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 26th 2002, 9:20 am
Thunder Ace

Mandy Bale <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > hi there, I take it from your name that you are into bikes (my husband had a
    > thunderace before we moved out here to Sydney) and heard you mention you'll miss
    > biking. Just thought I'd let you know that we went for a cruise with the Skyline
    > club (my husband has bought a nissan Skyline GTS-T, he's a bit of a rev-head) last
    > Sunday and there are some fantastic roads out here and they were full of bikes
    > ranging from Harleys to Ace's. Also, since we have been here the weekends have been
    > mostly sunny and dry, ideal biking weather as my hubby keeps mentioning!! He hasn't
    > got a bike yet, I won't let him until we have bought a house! So thought I'd cheer
    > you up a bit with this.
    >
    > Mandy

Thanks for the note. I plan to sell the bike and buy another when I get there,
Apparently it's difficult to find decent bikes, but transporting mine is not worth
the hassle given its age and mileage. As for speeding etc, my brother in law came to
collect me from Cairns airport a couple of years ago and got nicked for speeding on
the way up. Apparently the police cruisers can clock your speed as they drive along,
even when you are travelling in the opposite direction to the cruiser. Is this true?
If so, that's worrying 'cos at least you get a sporting chance in the uk where they
don't use this technology, yet. Maybe we will have to live in Northern Territory
where I believe there are no limits on some roads.

Thunder Ace

Old Jun 26th 2002, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

yep this is true
ive been stopped twice now for speeding, on two diffrent holidays but both times i have been let off with a caution, it seems there is a mountain of paperwork to do when you show your uk licence and they cant be bothered.
one of these times was a police car traveling in opposite direction i went passed him and thought oh lucky he was going that way. then glanced in my mirror and was horrified at the dust cloud behind as he drove of the road and u turned behind me. so i slowed to the speed limit and pulled over when he signelled me.
i was doing 130 kmh in a 100kmh area. so quite lucky there. its so easy yo get carried away on the back roads, though you do have to watch out for the roos and such even the od emu.
the other sneaky thing they do is hide in the bushes in the central reservations on the highways, now that makes you jump when you havent seen much for ages and then you look in your mirror and theres a police bike right behind you with all his lights flashing.
oh and there are quite a few motorcycle hire shops in oz not sure of prices though, just in case you will need a quick fix before you buy another, i know i will.
shaun
Old Jun 26th 2002, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Yes they are hot on speeding around here, but no more so than in the UK. Just have to keep a watch out for them. As for speed camera's I haven't seen as many as where I used to live in the UK. I've spotted about 2 or 3 around the hills district. Back in the UK we had about 10 camera's round our way. There are plain cars around here too and aparently the lastest one has a towbar and the other has stickers in the back window! They are usually Holden commodore SS saloons which are the V8 quick ones!!
We all pulled up in a layby with our Skylines the other week and a police car went past about 4 times checking us out but he didn't bother us.

Also have to watch out on public holiday weekends as they tend to do double demerit points for various things. Sometimes its for speeding and others its for seatbelts or D&D. They show some very explicit adverts on t.v about not wearing seatbelts.

Mandy
Old Jun 26th 2002, 7:20 pm
Lisa Simmonds

Naahh....

they aren't that bad in Perth.

Ok, if you're speeding excessively and dangerously you'll get pulled. same goes if ya
driving too slow. then again, if you act suspicious when there's a cop around, you'll
get pulled too.

Just act normally (so I've found), and make sure your car's in good condition.
Because if you've got a pretty sad looking beaten up piece of well... crap, you'll
get pulled.

As for the undercover cars...

Look for new holden commodores (VT or VX here) with pursuit rims (not mags - but rims
with holes all the way around -- same as what is on taxi's) if they have a hubcap or
something on, you can see the rims underneath.

And generally its two guys in suits or semi-casual dress, wearing sunnies. But most
of the time they'll be wearing uniforms.

Just my observation

-- Lisa (lived in WA all my life, driving for 4 years)

"sophia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : Hi guys
    :
    : Not sure what the NSW police are like but WA's police (apparently) are hot off the
    : mark when it comes to speeding and going through red lights. My rellies were
    : forever checking their rear view mirrors for cops when we were there...
    :
    : love sophia xx
    :
    :
    :
    : --
    : Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 26th 2002, 11:40 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Thunderace, are you living in OZ or NZ, whatever, what do you know about the biking in NZ, good twisties etc.?
CBR 600 man myself!!
Old Jun 28th 2002, 10:20 am
Thunder Ace

garrisondamn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thunderace, are you living in OZ or NZ, whatever, what do you know about the biking
    > in NZ, good twisties etc.? CBR 600 man myself!!

No mate, I'm still in the UK (until September), but I've been to Oz a few times which
is where my limited experience of the roads comes from. In Queensland, there are lots
of straight roads, the record I've counted is six miles without a bend but I'm sure
that's easily beaten. Not great for biking unless you like squared off tyres! However
I drove north out of Sydney once, and the roads were fantastic in places, lovely
sweeping twisties, not a lot of traffic, great scenery, and of course the weather to
match. Don't know anything about NZ biking I'm afraid, but I work with a couple of
Kiwis so I'll ask.

Thunder Ace

Old Jun 30th 2002, 9:20 am
Winnie

"garrisondamn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thunderace, are you living in OZ or NZ, whatever, what do you know about the biking
    > in NZ, good twisties etc.? CBR 600 man myself!!

NZ biking - haven't tried it yet but have done thousands of km in a car, all over the
place and am ex biker so should be able to comment:

Twisties - yes, loads. Traffic - variable but in general much lighter than UK. Road
surface - watch out! Even on the tar roads there are loads of stones which get flung
around by tyres and smash car windscreens, so I dread to think what they'd do to your
bod if they hit you. FULL body armour might be an idea ) Keeping your bike - odds
good. Thefts unusual. Insurance low for cars so maybe too for bikes - and of course
you aren't legally obliged to have it... Speed traps - varies area to area; the ones
we've seen have been easy to spot. You get a ban if you're caught going above about
30kph above the speed limit, I think. Cafes everywhere so plenty of places to stop
and warm up.

HTH Winnie Ex fireblade/ antique BM dude