Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thunder storms everyday for the last week!...

thunder storms everyday for the last week!...

Old Dec 12th 2004, 1:03 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default thunder storms everyday for the last week!...

Ok now i'm never one to complain.. (haha) but this is taking the piss.

i'm currently sat here mop and bucket in hand waiting for yet another thunder storm to pass over. i know canberra and everywhere else needs the water but everyday this week we've had serious thunder storms pass over. i'm starting to think that canberra isn't so much the coldest state but the wettest too!

The reason why i now have come to hate the things is that whenever we get a serious amount of rain i end up with a puddle in the middle of the kitchen floor, in the middle of the bathroom floor and strangely enough under the 'dining room' table where i work.

it's great when my feet are hot coz i can just slip off my shoes and socks and paddle in the puddle while i'm working!

..but besides that, i've never heard thunder so loud before i came here. if it wasn't for the rain i'd be in my element.... (i'm sure there's a joke there somewhere)

anyway, rant over back to work. Anyone have an idea for a company logo? hmm maybe i should build rain or a puddle in to it somewhere. any suggestions?

how about soggy feet design? or wrinkly toe media? hehe

oh by the way there was a thing in the paper yesterday about a guy who was out working on one of those frame/scaffold structures when it was struck by lightening! he suffered minor injuries and tingling in his feet. lucky sod!
Old Dec 12th 2004, 1:06 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: thunder storms everyday for the last week!...

ps, i just found this website and thought it might be of use to someone. the link shows the radar image currently for canberra, but there's links at the top of the page for all the other states. you can also see satellite images too! not bad when trying to work out when's the best time to hang your washing out!
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I was researching some hardware on Whirlpool's forums and saw a few people lost their PCs in Canberra.

Mrs BP was close to a bolt down the road. She saw the ground glow green and next she was on the floor.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:12 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by bondipom
I was researching some hardware on Whirlpool's forums and saw a few people lost their PCs in Canberra.

Mrs BP was close to a bolt down the road. She saw the ground glow green and next she was on the floor.
hope the misses was ok! sounds like a near miss.

we had a few outages at our places. the pc i was on, which hadn't been running so well anyway, took a turn for the worse. Also one of the servers lost a drive in its raid array.

...and when i got home i had to reset the clock on the VCR again!!!
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
ps, i just found this website and thought it might be of use to someone. the link shows the radar image currently for canberra, but there's links at the top of the page for all the other states. you can also see satellite images too! not bad when trying to work out when's the best time to hang your washing out!
Link? I see no link! (Or is it just my comfuser?)

I'd like to know it as I am watching the TS's building over Western Sydney and would like to know how they're progressing against the sea breeze.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:22 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Link? I see no link! (Or is it just my comfuser?)

I'd like to know it as I am watching the TS's building over Western Sydney and would like to know how they're progressing against the sea breeze.

yeah i can see where that would be more beneficial! must make a note to include links in these posts....

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/ID...op.shtml#image
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

OK, just found one! A bit lowres but does the job.

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.loop.shtml
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:41 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Top end is better for rafter rattlers:

Lightning Storms in the Top End
Old Dec 12th 2004, 4:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

hope the misses was ok! sounds like a near miss.

we had a few outages at our places. the pc i was on, which hadn't been running so well anyway, took a turn for the worse. Also one of the servers lost a drive in its raid array.

...and when i got home i had to reset the clock on the VCR again!!!
She was in a bit of shock and she certainly feels lucky.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 4:44 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by bondipom
She was in a bit of shock and she certainly feels lucky.
glad to hear it.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 8:54 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i'm currently sat here mop and bucket in hand waiting for yet another thunder storm to pass over. i know canberra and everywhere else needs the water but everyday this week we've had serious thunder storms pass over. i'm starting to think that canberra isn't so much the coldest state but the wettest too!

The reason why i now have come to hate the things is that whenever we get a serious amount of rain i end up with a puddle in the middle of the kitchen floor, in the middle of the bathroom floor and strangely enough under the 'dining room' table where i work.

it's great when my feet are hot coz i can just slip off my shoes and socks and paddle in the puddle while i'm working!

..but besides that, i've never heard thunder so loud before i came here. if it wasn't for the rain i'd be in my element.... (i'm sure there's a joke there somewhere)

anyway, rant over back to work. Anyone have an idea for a company logo? hmm maybe i should build rain or a puddle in to it somewhere. any suggestions?

oh by the way there was a thing in the paper yesterday about a guy who was out working on one of those frame/scaffold structures when it was struck by lightening! he suffered minor injuries and tingling in his feet. lucky sod!

You should be out there, dancing amongst the rain drops!!
Have to say, it conjures up all sorts of images....you sat at the table, pootah on the table, trousers rolled up round your calfs with your feet in a puddle of water........
Well, its freezing cold here, very damp and foggy and miserable.

wanna swap places??????

nah, thought not!

hope it all continues to go 'swimmingly' for ya!! told you you'd have a use for those speedos!! (even if it is only mopping the pooter dry!)

keep smiling matey!!

sue xxxxxx
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:20 am
life begins again...

feel pretty shite about it today. i came home all excited today to play on my new pootah and was greeted to the flat being swamped yet again! it's starting to stink in here of soggy wood. it's just taken me 3 hours to mop it all up and get the place set straight again. I haven't even had the chance to eat anything let alone play with my new pootah. grrr. i need to get out of this place!!

the puddle was about a half inch deep today and it had flowed round in to the living room under two of my wooden shelf units. being chipboard they just soaked it up! totally ruined them, but they weren't that expensive. thankgod for frozen pizza and JJJ! I think that's what the station is called.

ah well.

cheers sue. i needed a smile. thanks for that. just keep em coming until i get christmas over and done with.

cyaz
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

wezzer is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure your in canberra and not in the uk sounds very much like cornwall in the last flood.tee hee hee
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:28 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

was greeted to the flat being swamped yet again!
the puddle was about a half inch deep today and it had flowed round in to the living room under two of my wooden shelf units. being chipboard they just soaked it up!

So THATS why they have highset houses in aus................................

ere Scutter.....that smell - its not soggy chipboard...its your socks!!!!!