thumb sucking

Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

LauranJ is on a distinguished road
Default thumb sucking

I wonder if any1 can help.

Having read some of the forums re dentists in Aus and prices, I am now in a complete panic.:scared:

The reason - My 7 year old daughter - went to the dentist the other day and was told that if she doesnt stop sucking her thumb she will need braces.

I have been trying to convince her to stop for a while with no success.

We have tried antibite nail polish, plasters, mustard, even the denstist tried shock tactics!!! any other suggestions?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:11 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have same prob!

I have the same problem with my 5 year old!! Short of cutting off her thumbs, or fums, as she calls them, I have run out of ideas!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough

Has your daughter started spending the night with friends yet? Often that has a way of making a thumb sucker want to grow up a bit and quit the habit. It seems like one of those things you can't really make someone stop. It will stop when the good feelings she gets from it are either replaced by something else that feels good or when it becomes negative (for example friends pick on her).

Good luck

Paula
(PS: I sucked my thumb until I was 9 and my teeth are straight-never needed braces)

Last edited by PaulaJ; Jul 16th 2004 at 7:46 am.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

I sucked my thumb until I was 10 - I got told I'd have to wear braces as scare tactics by my parents but it never worked and I carried on sucking my thumb and curling my hair. My thumb got a bit wrinkly but my teeth never moved, so I never did need braces. Surprisingly my big sister was none to happy when she had to have braces and hadn't ever sucked her thumb! I think my parents came to the conclusion that at least I didn't need a dummy or walk around with a comfort blanket. I soon stopped when I had to go to 'big' school. Twenty years later I still curl my hair but I'm glad to say my thumb has recovered well and is now wrinkle free. I am confident it is something that you grow out of and stop as suddenly as it started.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

My 5 year old daughter is a thumb sucker.

Main times of sucking thumb are when she's tired, upset or bored. We do try to encourage her not to suck it and as long as she's occupied and happy, the thumb stays out of the mouth.

We're also a bit concerned that she may need braces later on. Thanks for the tips. Might try a few.

Regards
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:13 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I like the chopping the thumbs off idea the best. Guaranteed results. Buy her a dummy.

Siren's b/h
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thumb sucking

Originally posted by LauranJ

Having read some of the forums re dentists in Aus and prices, I am now in a complete panic.:scared:

The reason - My 7 year old daughter - went to the dentist the other day and was told that if she doesnt stop sucking her thumb she will need braces.

We have tried antibite nail polish, plasters, mustard, even the denstist tried shock tactics!!! any other suggestions?

I sucked my thumb until I was 14

I had a huge gap in my front teeth because of it...but as soon as I stopped, the gap closed over....

Now, I am not a dentist...so I am in no way saying that it will happen to everyone...that was just my experience...
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:57 am
Rose-tinted specs anyone?

Sarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by LauranJ

I'm another ex-thumb sucker. I too was told by the dentist that I would need braces because of my habit.

I didn't! I stopped sucking my thumb when I was about ten (although I still did from time to time when tired until I was 11), my upper front teeth are fine. No sign of the rabbit's teeth I was threatened with!

I think that genetics had a role to play as there is not one single buck-toothed person in my family...sticky-outy ears now, that's a different story!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:02 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Beat this - ive been saving my 100th post for something good
so here goes ....

My 25yr old fiance still sucks her thumb !
has no trouble with her teeth and has no intention of Stopping ...

go figure !

I personally stopped when i was 10, don't know why just decided one day not too

S
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:55 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stephenwhite68
Beat this - ive been saving my 100th post for something good
so here goes ....

My 25yr old fiance still sucks her thumb !
has no trouble with her teeth and has no intention of Stopping ...

go figure !

I personally stopped when i was 10, don't know why just decided one day not too

S
She shouldn't be sucking her thumb at that age, she should be sucking your..... oh nevermind.

Siren's b/h
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:59 am

I wish ....
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:34 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Not quite relevent but look at these dummies!!!

http://www.funnydummys.co.uk/billy_bob_pacifiers.php
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:31 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by stephenwhite68
I wish ....
Once you get married you'll be wishing even harder...

...or so I'm told.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:42 pm

5 Yrs together, might aswell be married
still wishing
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Well my sister use to suck her thumb and then did a handstand into some dogshit - that cured her!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.