thugs in Aus?

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:15 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thugs in Aus?

Originally posted by summers family
We read a thread recently that filled us with dread. Basically it stated that burglaries are big in Aus (school clothes, kids bikes etc) but also that drunkenness and rowdieness was rife. We live near Glasgow and want to escape the "thug culture" here. Can anyone living in Aus give us a true account of these problems there?

Thanks again, Carol.
You Scots are some of the toughest people on the planet the thugs here are easy meat compared to Glasgow , but just remember that you are the outsiders here and the locals love to bait those from the UK .

Old Mar 19th 2003, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kieron Shorrock

I live around Kings Cross in Sydney and the place is know as the red light district.
This is a definition of an English Thug
Drink Beer, Watch Football, Drink More Beer until drunk, have a fight, Drink more
beer and go home.

Definition of an Ozy thug
Drink Beer, Watch ANY sport, Drink more beer, drive the car with the music up loud.
Australia is a safe place compared to the UK.

KS

I'd rather get involved in a fight with a drunk football hooligan then confront an on coming vehicle driven by an Australian boozer.

Does anyone know what the road safety/ crash stats are for Australian. Is it considered high - med - low.
(Especially Perth stats)

pickletheplacid
Old Mar 19th 2003, 9:04 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pickletheplacid
Originally posted by Kieron Shorrock

I live around Kings Cross in Sydney and the place is know as the red light district.
This is a definition of an English Thug
Drink Beer, Watch Football, Drink More Beer until drunk, have a fight, Drink more
beer and go home.

Definition of an Ozy thug
Drink Beer, Watch ANY sport, Drink more beer, drive the car with the music up loud.
Australia is a safe place compared to the UK.

KS

I'd rather get involved in a fight with a drunk football hooligan then confront an on coming vehicle driven by an Australian boozer.

Does anyone know what the road safety/ crash stats are for Australian. Is it considered high - med - low.
(Especially Perth stats)

pickletheplacid

Road crash stats for Australia are supposedly the worst in the developed world, when measured in terms of serious accidents per head of population.

To the original poster from Glasgow - I have been out in Glasgow a few times and let me assure you, I have never seen the like anywhere in Australia (and I've seen a lot of the place).
My experience is that there are far more people with a chip on their shoulder in the UK than out here, probably driven by a more divisional class system. Yes we've seen plenty of 'hoons' out here getting drunk, wheel spinning their cars and fighting amongst themselves. But I have to say that we personally have never felt that threatened and the average hoon here seems to be real youngsters, like under 21 year olds, who would run home to mummy if an adult stood up to them. I have only ever seen one example of 30 something skin heads drunk, abusive and down right dangerous - and they were members of the barmy army out in Melbourne after the cricket. Brought home to me the problems we have with scum in certain parts of the UK.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 1:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pickletheplacid

(Especially Perth stats)

pickletheplacid
Hi,
It depends on what graph you are going by.
There are world rankings for safest countries (driving accidents and fatalities)
Fatalities use a separate graph - then there are accidents graphs (where people survive), and so on - it depends on how , and who compile the figures - and in what way if you know what I mean.

Most of the graphs I've seen in the past - I think they were 2001 figures (not sure if they've released the 2002 yet)

When they lump all these different figures under the term "worlds safest roads" Sweden is no 1 for the safest in the world - by most studies
Britain is second after Sweden, then I think it's Norway, and can't remember the other ones - but Japan was there too, and so was Canada and the Us - all on the top ten list above Australia.

Australia ranks 7th, 8th or 9th - depending on what graph/figures.

New Zealand didn't even hit the top ten of safe driving countries
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you just want to take the road fatality list, and not all motor accidents - it differs again

Here is one list I have:

Ranked in order of the LEAST road fatalities (study was per 10,000 motor vehicles - not on population) (further you go down the list means the more fatalities)

Norway
UK
Sweden
Switzerland
Japan
Netherlands
Australia
Germany
Canada
Italy
Finland
US

Then you've got another list- ranked in order of fatalities per billion road kilometres travelled : (safest up the top again- my graphs are listing them from the least fatalities to the most - so below UK is the safest on this list)

UK
Sweden
Finland
Netherlands
Norway
US
Australia
Canada
Switzerland
Germany
Japan
Italy.

Cheers

P.s an interesting site for you below if you want a heap of links regarding road safety, and safety regarding different models of cars, some of links don't work, but that should get you started:

http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/mpaine/roadsafe.html

PPS - regarding speeding in Aus, most people do not speed like in Britain, the police here (where I am anyway) - seem to have one thing on their minds instead of fighting crime - speed traps. It's terrible here for speeding cameras etc, and Melbourne is worse (you can be booked, fined and points for doing just over 4k over the speed limit!)

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 20th 2003 at 6:28 am.