British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Thrifty car rental warning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/thrifty-car-rental-warning-443289/)

Malcs66 Apr 19th 2007 5:20 am

Thrifty car rental warning

Hi, we have been back a couple of weeks from our reccie in Perth to find Thrifty have taken $800 from our credit card on top of the cost of hire. When we contacted them they said the car's bumber was scuffed, this is total crap. No one at Thrifty checked the car over when we dropped it off as it was a late night flight, so if anything it may have been done after we left it in their bay. How can they just take payment on something that was not checked in our presence, and come up with an agreed cost? :curse:
We are still trying to sort it out!!

mark213 Apr 19th 2007 5:34 am

Re: Thrifty car rental warning

Originally Posted by Malcs66 (Post 4665240)
Hi, we have been back a couple of weeks from our reccie in Perth to find Thrifty have taken $800 from our credit card on top of the cost of hire. When we contacted them they said the car's bumber was scuffed, this is total crap. No one at Thrifty checked the car over when we dropped it off as it was a late night flight, so if anything it may have been done after we left it in their bay. How can they just take payment on something that was not checked in our presence, and come up with an agreed cost? :curse:

Hire companies are like that throughout the world The only way round it is to take pictures of the car and odo, and fuel gauge to prove the state you left it in.

Make sure the starting damage form has all the bumps/chips on it in the first place or you'll loose that way too.

Patrick D Apr 19th 2007 7:31 am

The sharks don't just swim in the sea in Australia !!!!

Seriously though i have hired cars and dropped them of without inspection in many international airports and it never happend to me until i did the same thing in Australia. Great country but the people will take advanatage given the opportunity. Employers/Employees relations particularly in the service and hospitality industries are based on jealousy and hate and coupled with low pay result in bad experiences for customers and tourists alike.

Mid Lifer. Apr 19th 2007 7:37 am

DOH.!! My Sister used Thrifty but it was in my name as she didnt have her credit card to hand.I dropped it off today.No one checked it either .Fingers crossed eh?

biggy Apr 19th 2007 8:04 am

Nobody can take anything off your credit card unless u have authorised it.........contact your credit card co and tell them this was an unauthorised transaction....they should then deal with it

biggy Apr 19th 2007 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer. (Post 4665670)
DOH.!! My Sister used Thrifty but it was in my name as she didnt have her credit card to hand.I dropped it off today.No one checked it either .Fingers crossed eh?

no one checked my SIL's car either as there was no one at the desk........but when they were checked in and we were about to leave I noticed the girl was there....I went over and said the car was in bay bla bla and as there were only two thrifty spaces which were taken it was in an Avis one.....no worries she said.....I said but no one has inspected it.....she said no worries........I said maybe if u got oot yer bed a bit earlier u would have made it to ur work on time.......she said yeah no worries lol....

Malcs66 Apr 19th 2007 10:01 am

biggy, yes we have taken it up with our credit card company who are not being very helpful. We were advised by them to let them know the dates we were out of the country, so they knew of any unusual transactions. So how can they authorise payment when we had left Australia?
I wonder how many other people have had claims like this once they had left?

biggy Apr 19th 2007 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Malcs66 (Post 4666227)
biggy, yes we have taken it up with our credit card company who are not being very helpful. We were advised by them to let them know the dates we were out of the country, so they knew of any unusual transactions. So how can they authorise payment when we had left Australia?

hmmmm the bastards....ask them to forward to you the signed receipt for the transaction

lesleys Apr 19th 2007 10:10 am

Same thing happened to us in Manchester!

You can insure against it...........

www.insurance4carhire.com

biggy Apr 19th 2007 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 4666272)
Same thing happened to us in Manchester!

You can insure against it...........

www.insurance4carhire.com

thats a bit like shuttin the stable door after the horse has bolted lol

ed_the_lad Apr 19th 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Malcs66 (Post 4666227)

The credit card company will play a game if you let them, you have to be a bitch and you get your cash back.They don't want the hassle of contacting the rental and doing all the paperwork.I've been ripped off on ebay a couple of times, everytime the credit card company say they can do nothing until i go crazy over the phone, then things get sorted!

TeresaG Apr 19th 2007 10:28 am

What a nightmare. Hope you can sort it out.

Centurion Apr 19th 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Patrick D (Post 4665649)
Great country but the people will take advanatage given the opportunity.

I'm sure you could make this statement more sweeping about this country if you tried...

mark213 Apr 20th 2007 1:18 am

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 4666310)
thats a bit like shuttin the stable door after the horse has bolted lol

Insurance on the insurance you already have from the hire car for CDW/LDW.... hmmm!

marco121068 Apr 20th 2007 3:15 am

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 4665778)
Nobody can take anything off your credit card unless u have authorised it.........contact your credit card co and tell them this was an unauthorised transaction....they should then deal with it

Are you sure that by signing / Initialing one of the 20 boxes on the form with minuscule writing one of them isn't authourisation?