Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

maybe house prices will plummet before you buy...well heres hoping!!! we have seen property on sale here for over 6 months.we are finding it real difficult to get good rental property in beaumaris under 600 a week. OH thinks i am too fussy but you know ...darling...it has to be right
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by thebears
Renting and will continue to do so while we build - not emotionally tied up with a need to live in my own house. Doing it purely to get the right for when family are older and we (the parents) need our space.

It sounds a big build but infact its just in keeping with the area for build quality - the intention is to have a low impact design but retain practicality (and high on security).
Let me know if you need a Prince2 qualified project manager for your build mate!

Buzzy
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
You seen my daughter at Bunnings? Can rip them apart
Wow! Well look on the bright side, perhaps you will save some on demolition costs
Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:50 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
We are building in Aubin Grove 20km south of Perth. We bought the plot through Remax and the house through the Homebuyers Centre. We've had to watch for additonal costs being slipped in without us noticing but other than that it all appears fine. Now where was that plot???!!! We'll update as things progress. They reckon it will take 14 months from deposit to finish.

Just a quick update. The site now has roads and we managed to find our actual lot which was exciting. The start date has been put back a couple of months but I guess we need to learn to be patient!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-13.8.06-1.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-13.8.06-5.jpg  
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:26 am
Banned

Freespeech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Bang on time! We have just sent an email sacking our architect.........

We visited an architectural draughtsman this afternoon and it was like a breath of fresh air. The man knew what we were talking about, said our own rough plan with dimensions was all he needed to draw up the plans and specs and estimated two weeks to do it, then perhaps six for council approval.

It's over six weeks since we signed up with the architect - and only after we called Thursday did she actually think up a sketch overnight. Apparently this is par for the course.....

In the meantime we have had a site contour survey, soil bores, organised water bore and landscape design and had half a dozen large eucalypts felled and removed. It just feels as if you have to DIY!
We had a similar experience and also sacked our architect for our rennovation/extension. It cost us but we only paid half of the fee she demanded. In the end I have done the plans for the council permit myself. The detailed and engineering design is being done right now for the building permit etc.

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freespeech
We had a similar experience and also sacked our architect for our rennovation/extension. It cost us but we only paid half of the fee she demanded. In the end I have done the plans for the council permit myself. The detailed and engineering design is being done right now for the building permit etc.

Cheers
Where are you? The same "she"....?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

more pics
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-207.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-210.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-199.jpg