Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by robert cowan
I have started this thread for everyone building their home, to submit photos and their experiences, good or bad of the building company they are using.
We built with DQH on the Sunshine Coast and would definitely recommend them - photos attached - hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-dscf0054.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-dscf0006.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-dscf0016.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-dscf0231.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-dscf1246.jpg  

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by robert cowan
I have started this thread for everyone building their home, to submit photos and their experiences, good or bad of the building company they are using.
hi we built out house with a company called celibration homes while we where still in the uk. to tell you the truth it turned out better than expected.but if i was here in aus i would have been on there case a lot more(well i wasnt at all really seeing as i was in the uk)but dont let them roll you over and tickle your belly because they will if you let them. so make sure you use your 6 months snagging too that will sort out any thing you think is not right.and on hand over go over every thing with i fine toothedcomb remember its your money your spending. also keep on top of the bricklayer if your not happy make them take it down. for 1.10 dollars a brick its got to be right. i hope this helps
rob
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Mine's a Coral - would build with them again.
On market if anyone's interested???

Sunshine Sarah
You're not coming back to the UK are you??

House looks lovely, if we can sell ours I'd be interested
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Hoping to move to Perth.

I can see where the Architect would be coming from if maybe we were to purchase the land on our own and build a 2x semi-det with a view to sell the other. I wonder how this would be if for instance you and another were to joint purchase a single plot which would be big enough frontage say to build a semi detached both being say 3x2 or 4x2.

Along the lines of: Mr smith and Mr Jones would like to purchase 1/2 of the plot size you have for sale and also we would both like to build our houses as a joint venture ( semi detached)with equal share of the land

At which point would the Planning Department or whoever makes the decision step in and say the likes of: this plot of land can only have 1 house frontage?

From what i can see most ppl seem to go for the (what looks like) 15 mtr frontage Bungalow type houses. What would be wrong with 2x Semi Detached 2 level 7.5mtr frontage?

The main reason i am asking the Q about this is that i have family members who are also looking to move to Aus in the next year or so and would like to have the opportunity of being able to look at larger single plot sales with a view to build 2x 4x2 Semi detached houses on the same Plot
hi mate a bit of a late reply.
most blocks of land if not all, have Covenants on the min size you have to build.
if you build two homes on the same block you would have to sub-Divide the land.and have separate title deeds.the problem is getting approval to sub-Divide land that has been already sub-divided into blocks. there is also lots of tax implications.but not impossible on the right block hope this helps. and different states have different rules.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
IT'S STARTED.......................just had e-mail from brother-in-law. Site has been cleared, trees down,pegged and levelled. Slab should be going down before the end of the week The movie of the build has been started and we should have our first piccies next week. God how sad is that

Loz x
Hi Loz. You must be so excited. I know we were when we first saw our slab laid. We have taken photos and video of every stage and looking back its amazing how quickly it's gone up.

We are up to the rendering stage, which was done yesterday, the internal painters are in next week and then plumbing and electrical work to be done, so hopefully we'll be in in about 4 weeks or so.

Good luck with your build. Hope it goes as smoothly as our has.

Regards

Gina
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:47 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

So what part of Oz are you guys heading?

We are looking at buying a plot to rent out for a few years before starting the build. This way we can offset the initial costs against my income ie solicitors, stamp duty, buyers agent etc. and the first 2 years interest.

Kiwi
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by thebears
So what part of Oz are you guys heading?

We are looking at buying a plot to rent out for a few years before starting the build. This way we can offset the initial costs against my income ie solicitors, stamp duty, buyers agent etc. and the first 2 years interest.

Kiwi
How do you rent out a plot ???

Wouldn't there have to be a house on it to make it rentable?

Buzzy
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:55 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Hi Buzzy

What I see as a plot is someone elses rental home

Looks like we may even end up pulling down a less than 10 year old renovation to get the right location.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Cows don't tend to use the houses people so thoughtfully put on the blocks for them Nor do goats or horses or sheep
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:41 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Just had some pics from the brother-in-law last news we had was the slab was going down now we have got a house, well nearly .The frame and roof trusses are up and the windows and doors have been delivered.
It looks bloody huge compared to our little 2 bed semi here.
Can't wait for the next instalment

Loz x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally progress on ours, a hole has appeared in our block Only the top soil has been removed thus far but at least there is some movement at last
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:54 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Finally progress on ours, a hole has appeared in our block Only the top soil has been removed thus far but at least there is some movement at last
Is there a tombstone near the hole? If yes you are in the wrong plot
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
Is there a tombstone near the hole? If yes you are in the wrong plot
Ohhhh, now you have me worried, I will look tomorrow! If I see a hearse driving up the road I'll be sure to run over and lock the gate before they can steal our hole
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:58 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
It all seems to happen at once. We've been like that for a couple of weeks but we've gone from a slab with pipes sticking out to something that at least looks like a house in 24 hours

Good luck with the build.

Loz x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by loz
It all seems to happen at once. We've been like that for a couple of weeks but we've gone from a slab with pipes sticking out to something that at least looks like a house in 24 hours

Good luck with the build.

Loz x
Do you have any more pics to share? I get excited for everyone else who is doing this as well and love having a nosey at all the different designs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.